Child abuse and neglect — is it time for a public health approach?
Article first published online: 6 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 32, Issue 4, pages 325–330, August 2008
How to Cite
O'Donnell, M., Scott, D. and Stanley, F. (2008), Child abuse and neglect — is it time for a public health approach?. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 32: 325–330. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-6405.2008.00249.x
- Issue published online: 6 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 6 AUG 2008
- Submitted: August 2007 Revision Requested: December 2007 Accepted: April 2008
- 4Confronting Cruelty: Historical Perspectives on Child Protection in Australia. Melbourne ( AUST ) : Melbourne University Press; 2002.,
- 5Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Child Protection Australia 2004-05. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2006.
- 6Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Child Protection Australia 2005-06. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2007.
- 7Department for Education and Skills. Statistics for Education: Referrals, Assessments and Children and Young People on Child Protection Registers: Year Ending 31 March 2005. Norwich ( UK ) : Her Majesty's Stationery Office; 2006.
- 8Administration on Children, Youth and Families, US Department of Health and Human Services. Child Maltreatment 2005. Washington ( DC ) : US Government Printing Office; 2007.
- 9Department of Human Services. An Integrated Strategy For Child Protection And Placement Services. Melbourne ( AUST ) : State Government of Victoria; 2002.
- 10The Allen Consulting Group. Protecting Children: The Child Protection Outcomes Project. Melbourne ( AUST ) : The Group; 2003.
- 11PartonN, editor. Child Protection and Family Support: Tensions, Contradictions and Possibilities. New York ( NY ) : Routledge; 1997.
- 12US Advisory Board on Child Abuse and Neglect. Child Abuse and Neglect: Critical First Steps in Response to a National Emergency. Washington ( DC ) : US Government Printing Office; 1990.
- 14Child Protection and Child Outcomes: Measuring the Effects of Foster Care. Am Econ Rev. In Press 2007..
- 15Steering Committee for the Review of Government Service Provision Report on Government Services 2007. Canberra ( AUST ) : Productivity Commission; 2007.
- 16Report into the Cost of Child Abuse and Neglect in Australia. Brisbane ( AUST ) : Kids First Foundation; 2003.
- 17National Commission of Inquiry into the Prevention of Child Abuse. Childhood Matters: Report of the National Commission of Enquiry into the Prevention of Child Abuse. London ( UK ) : National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children; 1996.
- 18Prevent Child Abuse New York The Costs of Child Abuse and the Urgent Need for Prevention. New York ( NY ) : Prevent Child Abuse New York; 2003.
- 19Australian Institute of Health andWelfare Comparability of Child Protection Data. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 1999.
- 20World Health Organization First Meeting on Strategies for Child Protection. Copenhagen ( DNK ) : World Health Organisation: 1999.
- 22The Western Australian Aboriginal Child Health Survey: Strengthening the Capacity of Aboriginal Children, Families and Communities. Perth ( AUST ) : Curtin University of Technology and Telethon Institute for Child Health Research; 2006., , , et al.
- 28National Research Council Understanding Child Abuse and Neglect. Washington ( DC ) : National Academy Press; 1993.
- 31Australian Bureau of Statistics Census of Population and Housing. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2001.
- 32Australian Bureau of Statistics Year Book Australia, 2005. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2005.
- 33Financial Disadvantage in Australia 1990 to 2000, The Persistence of Poverty in a Decade of Growth. Sydney ( AUST ) : The Smith Family; 2001., , .
- 34Australian Bureau of Statistics Australian Year Book, 2007. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2007.
- 35Australian Bureau of Statistics National Health Survey, 2004-05. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2006.
- 36National Research Council USA From Neurons to Neighbourhoods: The Science of Early Childhood Development. Washington ( DC ) : National Academy Press; 2000.
- 38Developmental Crime Prevention Consortium Pathways to Prevention: Developmental and Early Intervention Approaches to Crime in Australia. Canberra ( AUST ) : AGPS; 1999.
- 39Chief Secretary to the Treasury Every Child Matters. Norwich ( UK ) : Stationary Office; 2003 September.
- 41Next Steps in the Provincial Evaluation of the Baby First Program: Measuring Early Impacts on the Outcomes Associated with Child Maltreatment. Winnipeg ( CAN ) : Manitoba Centre for Health Policy; 2007., , , , , , et al.
- 43Mind the Gap: The National Illicit Drug Strategy Project to Improve Support for Children from Families where there are Mental Illness and Substance Abuse Issues. Sydney ( AUST ) : Mental Health Coordinating Council and Department for Community Services; 2004.
- 44United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. New York ( NY ) : United Nations; 1989.
- 45Modified from a diagram by Morrison, T. (2006). Presentation to the Department for Community Development ‘What does it take to improve inter-agency responses to concerns for the wellbeing of children?’ Western Australia.
- 46Modified from The Allen Consulting Group Diagram p83 which was based on the enforcement pyramid in Ayres and Braithwaite, Responsive Regulation: Transcending the Deregulation Debate, Oxford University Press, New York , 1992, p39.