Parental awareness and attitudes about food advertising to children on Australian television
Article first published online: 6 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 32, Issue 4, pages 341–347, August 2008
How to Cite
Morley, B., Chapman, K., Mehta, K., King, L., Swinburn, B. and Wakefield, M. (2008), Parental awareness and attitudes about food advertising to children on Australian television. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 32: 341–347. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-6405.2008.00252.x
- Issue published online: 6 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 6 AUG 2008
- Submitted: January 2008 Revision Requested: March 2008 Accepted: May 2008
- 1NSW Schools Physical Activity and Nutrition Survey (SPANS) 2004. Sydney ( AUST ) : NSW Department of Health; 2006., , , , , .
- 3World Health Organization Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases: Report of a Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation Geneva ( CHE ) : WHO; 2003. Technical Report Series No.: 916.
- 10The Extent, Nature and Effects of Food Promotion to Children: A Review of the Evidence. Geneva ( CHE ) : World Health Organisation; 2006., , , , .
- 11Food Marketing to Children and Youth: threat or Opportunity? Washington ( DC ) : National Academies Press; 2006., , .
- 14Food Advertising on Sydney Commercial Television: the Extent and Nature of Children's Exposure 2006-2007 [home page on the Internet]. Sydney ( AUST ) : NSW Centre for Overweight and Obesity; 2007 [cited 2007 Oct 2]. Available from: http://www.coo.health.usyd.edu.au/pdf/2007_food_advertising.pdf., , .
- 17Development of eating behaviours among children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 1998;101S:539–49., .
- 19Australian Communications and Media Authority [home page on the Internet]. Canberra (AUST): Commonwealth of Australia; 2005 [cited 2007 May 4]. Children's Television Standards Variation 2005 (Cth) by Broadcasting Services Act 1992 (Cth) s 122 (1). Available from: http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/aba/contentreg/codes/television/documents/childrens_tv_standards_2005.pdf.
- 22Parenting in an obesogenic environment. J Res Consum. [serial on the Internet]. 2005 [cited 2007 Oct 2];9:[about 12 p.]. Available from: http://www.jrconsumers.com/__data/page/3018/Roberts.pdf..
- 25South Australian Department of Human Services. Television Advertising Report, Health Monitor, February 2004. Adelaide ( AUST ) : SADHS; 2004.
- 26CHOICE [for consumers page on the Internet]. Sydney ( AUST ) : CHOICE; 2006 May [cited 2007 May 4]. Little Bellies, Big Problems: How Parents, Industry and Government Can Solve Australia's Obesity Crisis. Available from: http://www.choice.com.au/files/f126310.pdf.
- 27Which? [for consumers page on the Internet]. London ( UK ) : Which?; 2006 April [cited 2007 May 4]. OfCom's Proposals on Food Advertising to Children. Kids Food Campaign. Available from: http://www.which.co.uk/files/application/pdf/Ofcom%20briefing%20April%202006-445-76889.pdf.
- 31Australian Bureau of Statistics Census of Population and Housing: Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas 2001. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2003. Catalogue No.: 2039.0.
- 32Australian Bureau of Statistics Census of Population and Housing 2001. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2002. Catalogue No. 2938.0.
- 33SPSS: statistical package for the social sciences [computer program]. Version 14.0. Chicago ( IL ) : SPSS; 2005.
- 34Australian Bureau of Statistics Education and Training Experience 2005. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2006. Catalogue No.: 6278.0.
- 35A content analysis of food advertisements in television for Australian children. Australian Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics. 1997;54(4):174–81., .
- 40Australian Communications and Media Authority Children's Viewing Patterns on Commercial, Free-to-air and Subscription Television: Report Analysing Audience and Ratings Data for 2001, 2005 and 2006, May 2007. Canberra ( AUST ) : ACMA; 2007.
- 41Australian Association of National Advertisers [home page on the Internet]. Sydney ( AUST ) : AANA; 2007 August 31 [cited 2008 Jan 16]. Submission to Australian Communications and Media Authority on Children's Television Standards. Available from: http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/main/lib310132/43_aust_assoc_of_national_advertisers.pdf.