The Gudaga Study: establishing an Aboriginal birth cohort in an urban community
Version of Record online: 8 JUL 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 34, Issue Supplement s1, pages S9–S17, July 2010
How to Cite
Comino, E., Craig, P., Harris, E., McDermott, D., Harris, M., Henry, R., Pulver, L. J., Kemp, L. and Knight, J. (2010), The Gudaga Study: establishing an Aboriginal birth cohort in an urban community. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 34: S9–S17. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-6405.2010.00546.x
- Issue online: 8 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 8 JUL 2010
- Submitted: June 2009 Revision requested: July 2009 Accepted: September 2009
- 1Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australia's Health 2008. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2008.
- 2The Western Australian Aboriginal Child Health Survey: The Health of Aboriginal Children and Young People. Perth ( AUST ) : Telethon Institute for Child Health Research; 2004. Report No.: 1., , , et al.
- 3Australian Bureau of Statistics [homepage on the Internet]. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2006 [cited 2008 Jul 30]. 2006 Census of Population and Housing: Campbelltown, Camden and Wollondilly LGAs. Aboriginal Status by Sex. Available from: http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au.
- 5Helping Closing the Gap Through Innovative Home Visit Program [press release]. Canberra ( AUST ) : Parliament of Australia; 2008..
- 6NSW Department of Health. NSW Aboriginal Maternal and Infant Health Strategy Evaluation. Sydney ( AUST ) : State Government of New South Wales; 2005.
- 7The Gudaga project: researching with our local Aboriginal community. In: WilliamsonA, DeSouzaR, editors. Researching with Communities. Auckland ( NZ ) : Muddy Creek Press; 2007., , , , , .
- 9Sydney South West Area Health Service. A Health Profile of Sydney South West: A Status Report Describing the Population, Their Health and the Services Provided for Sydney South West Area Health Service. Sydney ( AUST ) : NSW Health; 2005.
- 10Centre for Epidemiology and Research. NSW Child Health Survey 2001. N S W Public Health Bull. 2002;13:S–4.
- 11National Health and Medical Research Council. Values and Ethics: Guidelines for Ethical Conduct in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Research. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2003.
- 12National Health and Medical Research Council. The NHMRC Roadmap: A Strategic Framework for Improving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Through Research. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2002.
- 13Association for Research in Infant and Child Development. Griffiths Mental Development Scales. Oxford ( UK ) : Hogrefe – The Test Agency; 2006.
- 14Bayley's Scale of Infant Development (BSID – II). San Antonio ( TX ) : The Psychological Corporation; 1993..
- 15Mapping the multidimensional nature of domain learning: the interplay of cognitive, motivational and strategic forces. Advances in Motivation and Achievement. 1997;10:213–50..
- 20Middle ear problems in Aboriginal school children cause developmental and educational concerns. Contemp Nurse. 2004;16:145–50..
- 21Otitis media in young Aboriginal children from remote communities in Northern and Central Australia: a cross-sectional survey. BMC Pediatr. 2005;20(5):27., , , et al.
- 23The Health and Welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples. Canberra ( AUST ) : Australian Institute of Health and Welfare; 2005., , .
- 24Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Child Protection Australia 2002–3. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2004.
- 27Childhood Immunisation, the Role of Parents and service Providers: A Review of the Literature. Canberra ( AUST ) : AGPS; 1994., .
- 28National Health and Medical Research Council. Australian Immunisation Handbook. 8th ed. Canberra ( AUST ) : Australian Department of Health and Ageing; 2003.
- 30Group-based Parent Training Programmes for Improving Emotional and Behavioural Adjustment in 0–3 Year Old Children (Cochrane Review). The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 2, 2002. Chichester ( UK ) : John Wiley & Sons; 2004., .
- 32Summary of the scientific evidence on the nature and determinants of child development and their implications for programmatic interventions with young children. Food Nutr Bull. 1999;20:4–6., , .
- 33Recommendations for Short Questions to Assess Food Consumption in Children for the NSW Health Surveys. Sydney ( AUST ) : NSW Centre for Public Health Nutrition; 2005., , .
- 34The Tharawal Aboriginal Family Environmental Health Survey. Canberra ( AUST ) : Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Australian National University; 1994., .
- 35Families First Outcomes Evaluation Framework. Sydney ( AUST ) : New South Wales Cabinet Office; 2002., , .
- 36New South Wales Child Protection Council. A Framework for Building a Child-friendly Society: Strategies for Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect. Sydney ( AUST ) : Child Protection Council; 1998.
- 37National Public Health Partnership. National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nutrition Strategy and Action Plan, 2000–2010. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2001.
- 40Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission. Bringing Them Home. Report of the National Enquiry into the Separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children from their families. Canberra ( AUST ) : The Commission; 1997.
- 41Assessing development of urban Aboriginal infants. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2010 In Press; doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1754.2010.01756.x., , , , .
- 48Indigenous Research: A Commitment to Walking the talk. The Gudaga Study – an Australian casestudy. Journal of Bioethical Inquiry. In press 2009., , , .