The validation of a self-report measure and physical activity of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and non-Indigenous rural children
Article first published online: 8 JUL 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 34, Issue Supplement s1, pages S57–S65, July 2010
How to Cite
Gwynn, J. D., Hardy, L. L., Wiggers, J. H., Smith, W. T., D'Este, C. A., Turner, N., Cochrane, J., Barker, D. J. and Attia, J. R. (2010), The validation of a self-report measure and physical activity of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and non-Indigenous rural children. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 34: S57–S65. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-6405.2010.00555.x
- Issue published online: 8 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 8 JUL 2010
- Submitted: December 2008 Revision requested: July 2009 Accepted: October 2009
- 2Development of Recommendations for Children's and Youths’ Participation in Health Promoting Physical Activity [discussion paper]. Canberra ( AUST ) : Department of Health and Aging; 2005..
- 4Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The Health and Welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples 2008. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2008. Catalogue No.: 4704.0.
- 5Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Diabetes: Australian Facts 2008. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2008. Report No.: CVD 40.
- 6Department of Health and Aging [homepage on the Internet]. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2005 [cited 2008 Sept 17]. Physical Activity – Australia's Physical Activity Recommendations for 5 – 12 Year olds. Available from: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/health-pubhlth-strateg-phys-act-guidelines#rec_5_12.
- 9World Health Organisation. Recommended Amount of Physical Activity. In: Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health [fact sheet on the Internet]. Geneva ( CHE ) : WHO; 2008 [cited 2008 July 17]. Available from: http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/factsheet_recommendations/en/index.html.
- 15The Western Australian Aboriginal Child Health Survey: The Health of Aboriginal Children and Young People. Perth ( AUST ) : Telethon Institute for Child Health Research; 2004., , , , , , et al.
- 20Use of Accelerometers in a large field-based study of children: protocols, design issues, and effects on precision. J Phys Act Health. 2008;5(Supp 1):S94–S107., , , , , , et al.
- 22Accelerometer data reduction: a comparison of four reduction algorithms on select outcome variables. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006;37 Suppl 11:544–54., , , , , , et al.
- 23Estimating physical activity from incomplete accelerometer data in field studies. J Phys Act Health. 2008;5 Suppl 1:112–25., , , , .
- 29Reliability and Validity of YRBS Physcial Activity Items among Middle School Students. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007:416–25., , , , , , et al.
- 32Reliability and Validity of Physical Activity Questionnaires for Children: The Children's Leisure Activities Study Survey (CLASS). Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2004;16(1):64–78., , , .
- 33Measurement issues in the assessment of physical activity in children. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2000;71(2):59–73., , .
- 39Quantifying and Characterizing Physical Activity AMong 5- to 6- and 10- to 12-Year-Old Children: The Children's Leisure Activities Study (CLASS). Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2005;17:266–80., , , .
- 40Community Focus Groups on Food and Physical activity availability and issues in rural NSW communities: Many Rivers Diabetes Prevention Project. CRIAH Aboriginal Health Conference Presentation. Sydney . Australia : Sax Institute, 2008..
- 41Pedometer-determined physical activity levels of adolescents: differences by age, sex, time of week, and transportation mode to school. J Phys Act Health. 2008;5 Suppl 1:140–52., , , , .
- 47Differences in school-day patterns of daily physical activity in girls according to level of physical activity. J Phys Act Health. 2008;5 Suppl 1:90–7., , , , , .