Estimating tobacco consumption in remote Aboriginal communities using retail sales data: some challenges and opportunities
Article first published online: 8 JUL 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 34, Issue Supplement s1, pages S66–S70, July 2010
How to Cite
MacLaren, D., Redman-MacLaren, M. and Clough, A. (2010), Estimating tobacco consumption in remote Aboriginal communities using retail sales data: some challenges and opportunities. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 34: S66–S70. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-6405.2010.00556.x
- Issue published online: 8 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 8 JUL 2010
- Submitted: June 2009 Revision requested: January 2010 Accepted: February 2010
- 1Closing the Gap Between Indigenous and Non-indigenous Australians [Ministerial statement]. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs; 2008..
- 2National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Survey: Australia 2004–05. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2006..
- 3Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. National Drug Strategy Household Survey: State and Territory Supplement. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2008. Drug Statistics Series No.: 21.
- 6A Survey of Drug Use Patterns in Northern Territory Aboriginal Communities: 1986–1987. Darwin ( AUST ) : Northern Territory Department of Health and Community Services, Drug and Alcohol Bureau; 1988., , .
- 8Ministry of Health NZ. New Zealand Tobacco Use Survey 2006. Wellington ( NZ ) : Government of New Zealand; 2007.
- 9Regional Health Survey National Team. First Nations Regional Longitudinal Health Survey (RHS). Ottawa ( CAN ) : Assembly Of First Nations/First Nations Information Governance Committee; 2007.
- 10Office of Applied Studies, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Results from the 2007 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National Findings. Rockville ( MD ) : Department of Health and Human Services; 2008.
- 11World Health Organization. Mpower a Policy Package to Reverse the Tobacco Epidemic. Geneva ( CHE ) : WHO; 2008.
- 12ScolloM, WinstanleyM, editors. Tobacco in Australia: Facts and Issues. 3rd ed. Melbourne ( AUST ) : Cancer Council Victoria; 2008.
- 15‘Smoke-busters’ Maningrida's experience implementing a tobacco control program. The Chronicle: Publication of the Chronic Diseases Network. 2008;11:8–10., , , , , , et al.
- 16Store food: a case study of the food supply in an aboriginal community from 1988–1995. Bulletin of the National Museum of Ethnology. 1999;24:141–98..