Low daily smoking estimates derived from sales monitored tobacco use in six remote predominantly Aboriginal communities
Article first published online: 8 JUL 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 34, Issue Supplement s1, pages S71–S75, July 2010
How to Cite
Butler, R., Chapman, S., Thomas, D. P. and Torzillo, P. (2010), Low daily smoking estimates derived from sales monitored tobacco use in six remote predominantly Aboriginal communities. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 34: S71–S75. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-6405.2010.00557.x
- Issue published online: 8 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 8 JUL 2010
- Submitted: August 2009 Revision requested: January 2010 Accepted: March 2010
- 2Australian Bureau of Statistics. 4715.0 – National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Survey, Australia 2004–05. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2006.
- 3Joint Media Release with the Minister for Health and Ageing and the Minister for Indigenous Affairs – Rudd Government Tackles Indigenous Smoking Rates and Health Workforce in Next Down Payments on Closing the Gap [media release on the Internet]. Canberra ( AUST ) : Prime Minister of Australia; 2008 March 20 [cited 8 June 2010]. Available from: http://www.pm.gov.au/node/5890..
- 4Trends in tobacco consumption. Chapter 2, Table 2.8. In: ScolloMM, WinstanleyMH, editors. Tobacco in Australia: Facts and Issues [monograph on the Internet]. 3rd ed. Melbourne ( AUST ) : Cancer Council Victoria; 2008 [cited 22 May 2009]. Available from: http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/..
- 5Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. 2004 National Drug Strategy Household Survey: Detailed Findings. Canberra : AIHW; 2005. AIHW Catalogue No.: PHE 66.
- 6Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Drug Use Among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples: An Assessment of Data Sources. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2006. Drug Statistics Series No.: 17. Catalogue No.: PHE 76.
- 11A Survey of Drug Use Patterns in Northern Territory Aboriginal Communities: 1986–1987. Darwin ( AUST ) : Northern Territory Department of Health and Community Services, Drug and Alcohol Bureau; 1988., , .
- 17Alcohol use and traditional social control in Aboriginal society. In: HetzelBS, DobbinM, LippmannL, EgglestonE, editors. Better Health for Aborigines? [report]. St. Lucia ( AUST ) : University of Queensland Press; 1974. p. 42–52..
- 19Factors to consider in smoking interventions for Indigenous women. Australian Journal of Primary Health. 2006;12:131–5., , , , , , et al.
- 20Should the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee extend the range of free nicotine replacement therapies available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people Med J Aust. 2009;191:253., , .
- 21The effects of nicotine gum and counseling among African American light smokers: A 2 × 2 factorial design. Addiction. 206;101:883–91., , , , , , et al.