Reducing racism in Aboriginal health care in Australia: where does cultural education fit?
Article first published online: 8 JUL 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 34, Issue Supplement s1, pages S87–S92, July 2010
How to Cite
Durey, A. (2010), Reducing racism in Aboriginal health care in Australia: where does cultural education fit?. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 34: S87–S92. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-6405.2010.00560.x
- Issue published online: 8 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 8 JUL 2010
- Submitted: May 2009 Revision requested: December 2009 Accepted: March 2010
- 6The Health and Welfare of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People. Canberra : Australian Institute Health and Welfare, Australian Bureau Statistics; 2008. ABS Catalogue 4704.0 AIHW Catalogue No. IHW 21., .
- 7An Invitation to Reflexive Sociology. Cambridge : Polity; 2002., .
- 8Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth), The Onemda VicHealth Koori Health Unit (University of Melbourne), The McCaughey Centre, VicHealth Centre for the Promotion of Mental Health and Community Wellbeing (University of Melbourne), The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC). Building on Our Strengths: A Framework to Reduce Race Based Discrimination and Support Diversity in Victoria. A Summary Report. Melbourne : Victorian Health Promotion Foundation; 2009.
- 14The Impact of Racism on Indigenous Health in Australian and Aotearoa: Towards a Research Agenda. Discussion Paper No 4. Darwin : Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health; 2008., , .
- 15Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission. Bringing Them Home: National Inquiry into the Separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children from their Families. Canberra : Commonwealth of Australia; 1997. Available from: Accessed January 9th 2009 from http://www.hreoc.gov.au/pdf/social_justice/bringing_them_home_report.pdf.
- 16Race and Ethnic Relations. Melbourne : Oxford Universeity Press; 2009., , .
- 19United Nations Development Group. Guidelines on indigenous people's issues. New York and Geneva : United Nations; 2009.
- 20Reproduction in Education, Society and Culture. London : Sage; 1977., .
- 21Pierre Bourdieu. London : Routledge; 1993..
- 22Symbolic violence, locality and social class: The educational and career aspirations of 10–11-year-old boys in Belfast. Pedagogy, Culture and Society. 2004; 12(1):15–33., .
- 23Steering Committee for the Review of Government Service Provision. Overcoming Indigenous Disadvantage: Key Indicators 2009. Canberra : Productivity Commission; 2009.
- 24White privilege: unpacking the invisible knapsack Independent School. 1990; Winter(31–36)..
- 25Critical legal studies and the realities of race: deos the fundamental contradiction have a corollary? 23:407–413. Harvard Civil Right – Civil Liberties Law Review. 1988; 23:407–413..
- 26Ruling Class, Ruling Culture: Studies of Conflict, Power and Hegemony in Australian Life. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press; 1977..
- 27Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander primary health care and general practice. In: WestC, editor. General Practice in Australia 2004. Canberra : Australian Government, Department of Health and Ageing; 2005. p. 303–336., .
- 28Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander primary health care and general practice. In: WestC, editor. General Practice in Australia 2004. Canberra : Australian Government, Department of Health and Ageing; 2005. p. 337–356., , , , , , et al.
- 30National Health and Medical Research Council. Cultural Competency in Health: A Guide for Policy, Partnerships and Participation. Canberra : Commonwealth of Australia; 2006.
- 31Communication and Cultural Knowledge in Aboriginal Health Care. Casuarina , Northern Territory : Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal & Tropical Health; 1998..
- 36Rising to the challenge in Aboriginal health by creating cultural security. Aboriginal and lslander Health Worker Journal. 2007; 31(3):22–24..
- 37The Effectiveness of Cross-Cultural training in the Australian Context. Canberra : DIMIA, Commonwealth of Australia; 2006..
- 41CDAMS Indigenous Health Curriculum Framework. Melbourne : VicHealth Koori Health Research and Community Development Unit; 2004..
- 47The Indigenous content of Australian nutrition & dietetics degrees. Aboriginal & Islander Health Worker Journal. 2005; 29(4):11–14..
- 54Defining, conceptualizing and characterizing racism in health research. Critical Public Health 2006; 16(2):143–157..
- 56Study Protocol – Improving access to kidney transplants (IMPAKT): A detailed account of a qualitative study investigating barriers to transplant for Australian Indigenous people with end-stage kidney disease. BMC Health Services Research. 2008; 8(1):31–55., , , , , .
- 61Conducting culturally competent rural nursing research. Ann Rev Nurs Res. 2008; 221:221–238..