Successful chronic disease care for Aboriginal Australians requires cultural competence
Article first published online: 31 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Authors. ANZJPH © 2011 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 35, Issue 3, pages 238–248, June 2011
How to Cite
Liaw, S. T., Lau, P., Pyett, P., Furler, J., Burchill, M., Rowley, K. and Kelaher, M. (2011), Successful chronic disease care for Aboriginal Australians requires cultural competence. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 35: 238–248. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-6405.2011.00701.x
- Issue published online: 31 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 31 MAY 2011
- Submitted: June 2010 Revision requested: August 2010 Accepted: December 2010
- 1Australian Bureau of Statistics. 3302.0.55.003 – Experimental Life Tables for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders Australians, 2005–2007. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2009.
- 4Albuminuria in a remote South Australian Aboriginal community: results of a community-based screening program for renal disease. Rural Remote Health 3 [serial online] 2003 Feb;156:1–10 [cited 2006 Aug 3]. Available from: http://www.rrh.org.au/publishedarticles/article_print_156.pdf., , , , , , et al.
- 6Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner. Social Justice Report 2005. Sydney ( AUST ) : Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission; 2005. Report No.: 3/2005.
- 7Australian Human Rights Commission. Close the Gap Indigenous Health Equality Summit. [statement of Intent on the Internet]. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2008 March 20 [cited 2009 Jan 28]. Available from: http://www.hreoc.gov.au/Social_Justice/health/statement_intent.pdf.
- 8Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Diabetes: Australian Facts 2002. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2002. Catalogue No.: CVD 20.
- 10Australian Bureau of Statistics. 4 715.0 – National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Survey, Australia 2004–05. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2006.
- 11National Aboriginal Health Strategy Working Party. A National Aboriginal Health Strategy. Canberra ( AUST ) : AGPS; 1989.
- 12National Health and Medical Research Council. Values and Ethics: Guidelines for Ethical Conduct in Aboriginial and Torres Strait Islander Health Research. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2003.
- 15Australian Bureau of Statistics. 4713.0 – Population Characteristics, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 2006. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2008.
- 16General Practice Activity in Australia 2007–08. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2008. Catalogue No.: GEP 22., , , , , , et al.
- 18Australian Bureau of Statistics. 4704.0 – The Health and Welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2008.
- 19Issues with prescribed medications in Aboriginal communities: Aboriginal health workers’ perspectives. Rural Remote Health. 2006;6(2):557., , .
- 23Improving access to medicines in urban, regional and rural Aboriginal communities – is expansion of Section 100 the answer? [commentary]. Rural Remote Health [serial online] 2007;7(738):1–9 [cited 2008 Oct 13]. Available from: http://www.rrh.org.au/publishedarticles/article_print_738.pdf., .
- 26Standing Committee on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Working Party. Cultural Respect Framework for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health, 2004 – 2009. Canberra ( AUST ) : Indigenous Studies Program, University of Melbourne; 2004.
- 33Embedding Cultural Security in Bullying Prevention Research. Journal of Community Engaged Research and Learning Partnerships. 2008;1(1):66–81..
- 35Ways forward in Indigenous health. Chapter 10. In: LiawS, KilpatrickS, editors. A Textbook of Australian Rural Health. Canberra ( AUST ) : Australian Rural Health Education Network; 2008., , , , .
- 36National Health and Medical Research Council. Cultural Competency in Health: A Guide for Policy, Partnerships and Participation: 9 December 2005. Canberra ( AUST ) : Commonwealth of Australia; 2006.
- 54Perceptions of disease severity and barriers to self-care predict glycemic control in aboriginal persons with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Chron Dis Can. 2002;23(4):130–8., .
- 58Setting up chronic disease programs: perspectives from Aboriginal Australia. Ethn Dis. 2006;16(2 Suppl 2):73–8., , , , , .
- 60NorrisT, McIntyreP, MenziesR, editors. Role of GPs in adult Indigenous immunisation – a national survey. Proceedings of the 9th National Immunisation/1st PHAA Asia Pacific Vaccine Preventable Diseases Conference: Immunisation at the Crossroads: Challenges and Strategies; 2004 Aug 1920; Cairns , NT . Public Health Association of Australia.
- 61Needs Analysis of Immunisation for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People in Queensland [final report]. Brisbane ( AUST ) : Centre for Indigenous Health, University of Queensland; 2004., , , , , .
- 64National Health Performance Committee. National Health Performance Framework Report. Brisbane ( AUST ) : Queensland Health; 2001.