Consent,restraint,and people with special needs:a review
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2009
©2008 Special Care Dentistry Association and Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Special Care in Dentistry
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 58–66, January 2009
How to Cite
Romer, M. (2009), Consent,restraint,and people with special needs:a review. Special Care in Dentistry, 29: 58–66. doi: 10.1111/j.1754-4505.2008.00063.x
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2009
- 1American Dental Association. Principles, code of professional conduct & advisory opinions. Available from http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/law/code/principles.asp. Accessed September 28, 2008.
- 2American Medical Association. Informed Consent. Available from http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/4608.html. Accessed September 28, 2008.
- 3Ethics Committee Core Curriculum. Informed consent University of Buffalo Center for Clinical Ethics and Humanities in Health Care. Available from http://wings/buffalo.edu/faculty/research/bioethics/man-infc.html. Accessed February 17, 2006..
- 4Oral health care for persons with disabilities. Providing dental care general management considerations. Informed consent. An online course. Available from http://www.dental.ufl.edu/faculty/Pburtner/Disabilities/english/cconsent.htm. Accessed February 12, 2006..
- 5Southern Association of Institutional Dentists. Managing maladaptive behaviors –the use of dental restraints and positioning devices. Self-Study Course; Module 6:1–24. Available from http://www.saiddent.org/modules/14_module6.pdf. Accessed September 28, 2008.
- 6The California Patient's Guide. Your health-care rights and remedies. Chapter II. Your right to informed consent. Available from http://www.calpatientguide.org/ii.html. Accessed February 16, 2006.
- 7American Dental Association, Council on Community Health, Hospital, Institutional, and Medical Affairs. Patients with Physical and Mental Disabilities: dental management. Oral Health Care Guideline 1991 (item number J097); 14–7.
- 8New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Regulatory Affairs Unit. Medical treatment -expansion of the list of surrogates decision-makers. 2005–2006; 14NYCRR Section 633.11. Available from http://www.omr.state.ny.us/hp_633.11_memo.jsp, http://www.omr.state.ny.us/hp_healthtext.jsp. Accessed September 29, 2008.
- 9The appropriate use of physical restraint; Considerations. J Dent Child 2000;67: 256–62, 231., , .
- 12Ethical and legal issues in special patient care. Dent Clin North Am 1994;38:553–75., .
- 17United States Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Glossary. Available from http://www.cms.hhs.gov/apps/glossary./ Accessed on September 29, 2008.
- 18Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). Comprehensive accreditation manual for hospitals (CAMH): the official handbook. Refreshed Core Manual. January 2008 ed. Oakbrook Terrace , IL : JCAHO publisher; 2008:PC-25-26.
- 19United States 106th Congress. Children's Health Act of 2000 (Public Law 106–310) Interpretive Guidelines for Intermediate Care Facilities. October 17, 2000. Available from http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=106_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ310.106. Accessed September 29, 2008.
- 20United States Department of Health and Human Services. Oral health in America: a report of the Surgeon General. Rockville , MD : U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health; 2000.
- 21U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. National Call to Action to Promote Oral Health. Rockville , MD : U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research; Spring 2003. NIH Publication No. 03-5303.
- 22New York State Hospital Codes. Patient's rights; 10NYCRR section 405.7(b)(5).
- 23New York State Department of Health. Memo: 91-28 8-5-91.
- 24New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities. Protection of individuals receiving services in facilities operated and/or certified by OMRDD. OMRDD Regulations Part 633.16.
- 25New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Task Force on Special Dentistry. Minutes of Meeting May 9, 2005. Available by request at http://www.omr.state.ny.us.
- 26Colorado State Department of Regulatory Agencies. Board of Dental Examiners. Policies; Section 4: Practice Policies. Available from http://www.dora.state.co.us/dental. Accessed September 29, 2008.
- 27United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Reese v. Nelson. 1979 May 2; 598 F.2d 822:826.
- 28District Court for the Middle District of Alabama. Wyatt v. Stickney. 1972; 344 F. Supp. at 380.
- 29United States District Court, Eastern District. New York State Association for Retarded Children v. Rockefeller. Federal Supplement 1973 Apr 10; 357:752–770.
- 30United States Supreme Court. Youngberg v. Romeo. 1982; 457 US 307:319.
- 31Society for Good Will to Retarded Children, Inc. v. Cuomo. 1983; 572 F. Supp. 1300:1341. (E.D.N.Y., 1983).
- 32Rehbein v. Martin. 836 F. Supp. 677 US Dist 21837, 1992.
- 34Oral health needs of persons with physical or mental disabilities. Dent Clin North Am 1994;38: 483–98., .
- 35Restraints: a legal catch-22?. Reg Nurs 1992;55:71–2, 75–6..
- 36Providing oral health care to individuals with severe disabilities residing in the community: alternative care delivery systems. Spec Care Dentist 1994;14:188–93., .
- 37Dental care considerations for disabled adults. Spec Care Dentist 2002; 22(3 Suppl):26S-39S..
- 38Dental Treatment Guidelines For Use of Restraints Within the Nine Louisiana Developmental Centers 1998. Developed by The Office of Citizens with Developmental Disabilities and the Louisiana State University Medical Center School of Dentistry.
- 43Southern Association of Institutional Dentist Guidelines for dental programs in facilities for the mentally retarded/mentally ill. Ashville , NC : SSAID: October 17–19, 1990:3–34.
- 44American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Clinical Affairs Committee—Behavior Management Subcommittee. American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Council on Clinical Affairs—Committee on Behavior Guidance. Guideline on behavior guidance for the pediatric dental patient. Ped Dent 2005–2006;27(7 Reference Manual):92–100.
- 45British Society for Disability and Oral Health. Principles on Intervention for People Unable to Comply with Routine Dental Care. April 2004. Available from http://www.bsdh.org.uk/guidelines/PIDocument.pdf. Accessed September 29, 2008.
- 46A primer in management of movement in the patient with a handicapping condition. J Mass Dent Soc 1991; 40:23–8..
- 47A survey of members of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry on their use of behavior management techniques. Ped Dent 2004;26:159–66., , .
- 48Survey of behavior management teaching in pediatric dentistry advanced education programs. Ped Dent 2004;26:151–8., , .
- 51Dental attitudes and memories: a study of the effects of hand over mouth/restraint. Ped Dent 1993;15:13–9., , , .
- 52Dental problems of the handicapped child. Dentistry for the child and adolescent. St. Louis , MO : Mosby; 1974: 428–31.
- 53Control mechanisms for the special care pediatric patient. J Mich State Dent Assoc 1970;52:34–6..
- 54Thinking in pictures: and other reports from my life with autism, 1st ed. New York : Doubleday; 1995:58–63.
- 57European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry (EAPD). EAPD guidelines on sedation in Paediatric dentistry. Available from http://www.eapd.gr/Guidelines/EAPD_sedation_guidelines_final.pdf. Accessed September 29, 2008., , , , , .
- 58Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. Safe sedation of children undergoing diagnostic and therapeutic procedures Section 5: Specialty requirements: dentistry. Available from http://www.sign.ac.uk/guidelines/fulltext/58/section5.html. Accessed July 20, 2008.
- 60Appropriate use of restraint with on-going desensitization programming. SCDA Interface 2003;16:3..
- 61Negative and positive control in dental treatment situations. Braz J Oral Sci 2002;1:95–8. Available from http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=TSHB,TSHB:2006-40,TSHB:en&q=alves+de+moraes+negative+and+positive+control+in+dental+treatment+situations. Accessed September 29, 2008..