The author is a doctoral candidate, Centre for Military and Strategic Studies, University of Calgary. The late Professor Peter Aucoin both inspired this article and provided very helpful suggestions during its preparation. Thanks are also due to Kaija Belfry for advice, insight and comments; the Hon. Marc Lalonde and other participants in this research for sharing their experiences; Mr. Lalonde for authorizing access to the Personal and Political Documents Series of the Trudeau Fonds; a number of anonymous reviewers for their comments; and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council for their support of this research. An earlier version of this article was presented at the annual conference of the Canadian Political Science Association, 3 June 2010, in Montreal.
Original article / Article originaux
Style within the centre: Pierre Trudeau, the War Measures Act, and the nature of prime ministerial power
Article first published online: 19 DEC 2011
© The Institute of Public Administration of Canada/L'Institut d'administration publique du Canada 2011
Canadian Public Administration
Volume 54, Issue 4, pages 531–549, December 2011
How to Cite
Munroe, H.D. (2011), Style within the centre: Pierre Trudeau, the War Measures Act, and the nature of prime ministerial power. Canadian Public Administration, 54: 531–549. doi: 10.1111/j.1754-7121.2011.00191.x
- Issue published online: 19 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 19 DEC 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!