Effectiveness of marine reserve networks in representing biodiversity and minimizing impact to fishermen: a comparison of two approaches used in California
Version of Record online: 12 MAY 2008
© 2008 Blackwell Publishing, Inc.
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 44–51, April 2008
How to Cite
Klein, C. J., Steinback, C., Scholz, A. J. and Possingham, H. P. (2008), Effectiveness of marine reserve networks in representing biodiversity and minimizing impact to fishermen: a comparison of two approaches used in California. Conservation Letters, 1: 44–51. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2008.00005.x
- Issue online: 4 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 12 MAY 2008
- Received: December 2007; accepted 20 February 2008
- 2000) MARXAN (V1.8.2): Marine reserve design using spatially explicit annealing, a manual. , (
- California Department of Fish and Game (CDFG) (2005a) Adopted regional goals and objectives package. URL Available from http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mlpa/draftdocuments.html.
- California Department of Fish and Game (CDFG) (2005b) California marine life protection act initiative draft master plan framework: a recommendation to the California fish and game commission by the California department of fish and game.
- 2005) Conservation planning with irreplaceability: does the method matter? Biodiversity Conserv 16, 245–258. , , , , , (
- 2000) A new predictor of the irreplaceability of areas for achieving a conservation goal, its application to real-world planning, and a research agenda for further refinement. Biol Conserv 93, 303–325. , , (
- 2003) Benefits beyond boundaries: the fishery effects of marine reserves. Trends Ecol Evol 18, 448–455. , (
- 1999) Guideline for marine protected areas. World commission on protected areas. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland . (
- 1983) An iterative method for establishing priorities for the selection of nature reserves: an example from Tasmania. Biol Conserv 25, 127–134. (
- 2008) Striking a balance between biodiversity conservation and socioeconomic viability in the design of marine protected areas. Conserv Biol doi:DOI: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.00896.x. , , et al (
- 2003) Using siting algorithms in the design of marine reserve networks. Ecol Appl 13, S185–S198. , , , , (
- National Research Council (NRC) (2001) Marine protected areas: tools for sustaining ocean ecosystems. National Academy Press, Washington , DC.
- 1999) Fisheries benefits and optimal design of marine reserves. Fishery Bull 97, 604–616. , (
- 2000) Mathematical methods for identifying representative reserve networks. Pages 291–305 in S.Ferson, M.Burgman, editors. Quantitative methods for conservation biology. Springer-Verlag, New York . , , (
- 1998) Algorithms, politics and timber: an example of the role of science in a public, political negotiation process over new conservation areas in production forests. in R.J.Hobbs, R.T.Wills, editors. Ecology for everyone: communicating ecology to scientists, the public and the politicians. Surrey Beatty and Sons, Chipping Norton , N.S.W . (
- 1999) An approach to designing a systematic protected area system in Guyana. Parks 9, 7–10. , (
- 2006) Sensitivity of marine-reserve design to the spatial resolution of socioeconomic data. Conserv Biol 20, 1191–1202. , , , (
- 2001) Effects of marine reserves on adjacent fisheries. Science 294, 1920–1923. , , , , (
- 2000) Marine and coastal protected areas: a guide for planners and managers. International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, Washington , DC . , , (
- 2006) Commercial fishing grounds and their relative importance off the Central Coast of California. Ecotrust, Portland . , , (
- Scientific Advisory Team (2006) Science advisory team central coast MPA proposal evaluations for goals 1 and 4.
- State of California. (1999). California Marine Life Protection Act. fish and game code 2850–2863. Available from http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/mlpa_language.pdf (accessed October 15, 2007).
- 2007) A reassessment of equivalence in yield from marine reserves and traditional fisheries management. Oikos, 116, 2039–2043. , (