U.S. drowning in unidentified fishes: Scope, implications, and regulation of live fish import
Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2008
©2008 Blackwell Publishing, Inc.
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 103–109, June 2008
How to Cite
Smith, K. F., Behrens, M. D., Max, L. M. and Daszak, P. (2008), U.S. drowning in unidentified fishes: Scope, implications, and regulation of live fish import. Conservation Letters, 1: 103–109. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2008.00014.x
- Issue online: 4 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2008
- Received: 4 April 2008; revised 5 April 2008; accepted 8 April 2008
- 2004) Risk assessment for invasive species. Risk Anal 24, 787–793. , , , (
- 1999) Marine ornamentals trade: quality and sustainability for the Pacific Region May 1999. South Pacific Forum Secretariat, Fiji, 51 p. (
- 2004) The ecological and socio-economic impacts of invasive alien species in inland water ecosystems. Report to the Convention on Biological Diversity on behalf of the Global Invasive Species Programme, Washington , D.C. 34 p. , , (
- Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD). (2004) Seventh Conference of the Parties: Decision VII/13: Alien species that threaten ecosystems, habitats or species (Article 8 (h)), Kuala Lumpur Malaysia Available from: http://www.biodiv.org. Accessed 11 November, 2007.
- 2002) International regulation of wildlife trade: relevant legislation and organisations. Rev Sci Tech 21, 103–123. , (
- 2005) Invasibility: the local mechanism driving community assembly and species diversity. Ecography 28, 696–704. , , (
- Defenders of Wildlife (DW). (2007) Broken screens: the regulation of live animal imports to the United States. Available from: http://www.defenders.org/programs_and_policy/international_conservation/u.s._imports_of_live_animals/broken_screens.php. Accessed December 15, 2007.
- 2006) Popularity and propagule pressure: determinants of introduction and establishment of aquarium fish. Biol Invasions 8, 377–382. , , (
- 2007) Failure of the Lacey Act to protect US ecosystems against animal invasions. Front Ecol Environ 5, 353–359. , , (
- 2003) Freshwater aquatic vertebrate introductions in the United States: patterns and pathways. Pages 123–151 in G.M.Ruiz, J.T.Carlton, editors. Invasive species: vectors and management strategies. Island Press, Washington , D.C . (
- 2008) Monitoring international wildlife trade with coded species data. Conserv Biol 22, 4–7. , , , , , (
- Global Invasive Species Database (GISD). (2005) Available from: http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.asp?si=19&fr=1&sts=sss. Accessed 31 October, 2007.
- 2007) National aquatic species risk analysis: a call for improved implementation. Fisheries 22:11, 530–538. , (
- 2007) International law on precautionary approaches to regulate live animal importation. Available from: http://www.defenders.org/programs_and_policy/international_conservation/u.s._imports_of_live_animals/broken_screens.php. Accessed December 15, 2007. (
- 2003) Forecasting invasions with increasing international trade. Conserv Biol 17, 322–326. , (
- 2006) Biological invasions recommendations for U.S. policy and management. Ecol Appl 16, 2035–2054. , , et al . (
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (MEA). (2005) Ecosystems and human well-being: wetlands and water synthesis. Available from: http://www.millenniumassessment.org/. Accessed 11 November, 2007.
- National Academy of Sciences (NAS). (2005) Board on Agriculture and Natural Resources: Animal health at the crossroads: preventing, detecting, and diagnosing animal diseases. National Academies Press, Washington , D.C .
- National Invasive Species Council (NISC). (2001) National management plan: meeting the invasive species challenge. NISC, Washington , D.C .
- National Invasive Species Council. (NISC). (2007) 2008–2012 National invasive species management plan draft for public comment. NISC, Washington , D.C .
- 2003) Generic Nonindigenous aquatic organisms risk analysis review process. Pages 415–431 in G.M.Ruiz, J.T.Carlton, editors. Invasive species: vectors and management strategies. Island Press, Washington , D.C . (
- 2004) Beyond ballast water: aquarium and ornamental trades as sources of invasive species in aquatic ecosystems. Front Ecol Environ 2, 131–138. , (
- 2005) Studying invasion: have we missed the boat? Ecol Lett 8, 715–721. , (
- 1997) Global invasions of marine and estuarine habitats by non-indigenous species: mechanisms, extent, and consequences. Am Zool 37, 621–632. , , , (
- 2000) Invasion of coastal marine communities in North America: apparent patterns, processes, and biases. Ann Rev Ecol Syst 31, 481–531. , , , , (
- 2004) A hotspot of non-native marine fishes: evidence for the aquarium trade as an invasion pathway. Mar Ecol-Prog Ser 266, 239–244. , , , (
- 2005) The politics of assessing risk for biological invasions: the USA as a case study. Trends Ecol Evol 20, 216–222. (
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). (2006) Marine and coastal ecosystems and human wellbeing: a synthesis report based on the findings of the millennium ecosystem assessment. Available from: http://www.unep.org/publications/search/pub_details_s.asp?ID=3792. Accessed November 15, 2007.
- U.S. Congress Office of Technology Assessment (OTA). (1993) Harmful non-indigenous species in the United States. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington D.C .
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). (2007a) Injurious wildlife species: black carp (Mylopharyngodon piceus). Federal Register, 72. Available from: http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPACT/2007/October/Day-18/i5141.htm. Accessed January 1, 2008.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). (2007b) Division of Budget: Fiscal Year 2008 Budget Justifications. Available from: http://www.doi.gov/budget/2008/data/greenbook/FY2008_FWS_Greenbook.pdf, Accessed November 1 2007.