Calibrating conservation: new tools for measuring success
Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2008
©2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 155–164, October 2008
How to Cite
Kapos, V., Balmford, A., Aveling, R., Bubb, P., Carey, P., Entwistle, A., Hopkins, J., Mulliken, T., Safford, R., Stattersfield, A., Walpole, M. and Manica, A. (2008), Calibrating conservation: new tools for measuring success. Conservation Letters, 1: 155–164. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2008.00025.x
- Issue online: 23 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2008
- Received: 19 March 2008; accepted 9 July 2008.
- 2006) Testing hypotheses for the success of different conservation strategies. Conserv Biol 20, 1528–1538. , , , , (
- 2005) Performance of two agri-environment schemes in England: a comparison of ecological and multi-discipliary evaluations. Agric Ecosys Environ 108, 178–188. , , (
- 2003) The multi-disciplinary evaluation of a national agri-environment scheme. J Environ Manage 69, 71–91. , , et al. (
- 2003) Auditing conservation in an age of accountability. Conserv Pract 4, 12–19. (
- CMP. (2004) Open standards for the practice of conservation. Conservation Measures Partnership, Washington , D.C .
- 2006) Money for nothing? A call for empirical evaluation of biodiversity conservation investments. PLoS Biol 4, e105. , (
- 2002) Diagnosing causes of population declines and selecting remedial actions. Pages 139–156 in K.Norris, D.J.Pain, editors. Conserving bird biodiversity: general principles and their application. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge . (
- 2006) Evaluating effectiveness: a framework for assessing management effectiveness of protected areas, 2nd edition. IUCN World Commission on Protected Areas and James Cook University, Brisbane , Australia . , , , , (
- IUCN-CMP. (2006) Unified classification of conservation actions. Page 12 in IUCN and Conservation Measures Partnership. Available at http://conservationmeasures.org/CMP/Site_Docs/IUCN-CMP_Unified_Actions_Classification_2006_06_01.pdf. Accessed September 5, 2008.
- 1999) Balancing the Earth's accounts. Nature 401, 323–324. , , (
- Defining and measuring success in conservation. In N.Leader-Williams, B.Smith, editors. Trade-offs in conservation. Blackwells, Oxford . , , et al. (in press)
- 2000) Improving the evaluation of conservation programs. Conserv Biol 14, 356–365. , , et al. (
- 2007) Measuring conservation success: assessing zoos' contribution. Pages 322–342 in A.Zimmermann, M.Hatchwell, L.A.Dickie, C.West, editors. Zoos in the 21st century: catalysts for conservation? Cambridge University Press, Cambridge . , , et al. (
- Miradi. (2007) Miradi: adaptive management software for conservation projects. Available at https://miradi.org/. Accessed September 5, 2008.
- 2007) Conservation audits: auditing the conservation process – lessons learned, 2003–2007. Page 42 in Conservation Measures Partnership. Available at http://conservationmeasures.org/CMP/Site_Docs/Conservation%20Audits%20FINAL%20DRAFT%2031%20July%202007.pdf. Accessed September 5, 2008. (
- 2000) Writing the wrongs: developing a safe-fail culture in conservation. Conserv Biol 14, 1567–1568. , (
- 1999) Threat reduction assessment: a practical and cost-effective approach to evaluating conservation and development projects. Conserv Biol 13, 830–841. , (
- 2001) Adaptive management: a tool for conservation practitioners. In Biodiversity Support Program, Washington , D.C . , , (
- 2002) Improving the practice of conservation: a conceptual framework and research agenda for conservation science. Conserv Biol 16, 1469–1479. , , , (
- 2008) A standard lexicon for biodiversity conservation: unified classifications of threats and actions. Conserv Biol 22, 897–911. , , et al. (
- 2004) Disconnects in evaluating the relative effectiveness of conservation strategies. Conserv Biol 18, 597–599. , , et al. (
- 2006) Assessing farm-based measures for mitigating human-elephant conflict in Transmara District, Kenya. Oryx 40, 279–286. , (
- 2005) Monitoring and evaluation in conservation: a review of trends and approaches. Conserv Biol 19, 295–309. , , , (
- 2008) Management effectiveness tracking tool – reporting progress at protected area sites, 2nd edition. WWF, Gland , Switzerland . , , , , , (
- 2005) How can we make conservation more effective? Oryx 39, 1–2. (
- 2004) The need for evidence-based conservation. Trends Ecol Evol 19, 305–308. , , , (
- 2005) Are we making a difference? Evaluating the effectiveness of the Mace et al. (in press) scoring system to evaluate the impact of conservation effort. In: Durrell Institute of Conservation and Ecology. University of Kent. (