Toward representative protection of the world's coasts and oceans—progress, gaps, and opportunities
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2008
©2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 1, Issue 5, pages 217–226, December 2008
How to Cite
Spalding, M. D., Fish, L. and Wood, L. J. (2008), Toward representative protection of the world's coasts and oceans—progress, gaps, and opportunities. Conservation Letters, 1: 217–226. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2008.00030.x
- Issue online: 16 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2008
- Received 16 July 2008; accepted 24 September 2008.
- 2008) Freshwater ecoregions of the world: a new map of biogeographic units for freshwater biodiversity conservation. BioScience 58, 403–414. , , et al . (
- 2008) Global Open Oceans and Deep Seabed (GOODS) bioregional classification. CoP 9 Information Document 44. Page 79 in Ninth Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Bonn , Germany . , , et al . (
- 2003) A Caribbean-wide survey of marine reserves: spatial coverage and attributes of effectiveness. Gulf and Caribbean Res 14, 139–154. , (
- 2008) The challenge of assessing whether the OSPAR network of marine protected areas is ecologically coherent. Hydrobiologia 606, 45–53. (
- 2008) Marine reserves: the need for systems. Hydrobiologia 606, 35–44. , (
- 1974) Marine zoogeography. McGraw-Hill, New York , USA . (
- British Oceanographic Data Centre (2003) Centenary Edition of the IHO/IOC General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans (GEBCO Digital Atlas) [CD-ROM].
- 2005) Measuring the extent and effectiveness of protected areas as an indicator for meeting global biodiversity targets. Proc R Soc B 360, 443–455. , , , (
- Commonwealth of Australia (2006) A Guide to the Integrated Marine and Coastal Regionalisation of Australia Version 4.0. In Department of Environment and Heritage, Canberra .
- Convention on Biological Diversity (2004) COP 7-Seventh Ordinary Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 9–20 February 2004. Decision VII/28: Protected areas (Articles 8 (a) to (e)). United Nations Environment Programme.
- Convention on Biological Diversity (2006) COP 8 - Eighth Ordinary Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity. Curitiba, 20–31 March 2006. Decision VIII/15: Framework for monitoring implementation of the achievement of the 2010 target and integration of targets into the thematic programmes of work. Annex 4. United Nations Environment Programme.
- 2007) Mangroves of Western and Central Africa. UNEP-Regional Seas Programme/UNEP-WCMC. , , (
- 2004) The Southern Ocean: a model system for conserving resources? Pages 71–87 in L.K.Glover, S.A.Earle, editors. Defying Ocean's end: an agenda for action. Island Press, Washington , D.C . , (
- 1996) Biodiversity in the Seas: implementing the convention on biological diversity in marine and coastal habitats. IUCN - World Conservation Union, Cambridge , UK and Gland, Switzerland . , , (
- 2001) Biogeography of the OSPAR maritime area. A synopsis of biogeographical distribution patterns described for the North-East Atlantic. Federal Agency for Nature Conservation, Bonn , Germany . (
- 2003) Benefits beyond boundaries: the fishery effects of marine reserves. Trends Ecol Evol 18, 448–455. , (
- 2003) The impact of marine reserves: do reserves work and does reserve size matter? Ecol Appl 13, S117–S137. (
- 2008) A global map of human impact on marine ecosystems. Science 319, 948–952. , , et al . (
- IUCN (2005) Benefits Beyond Boundaries. Proceedings of the Vth IUCN World Parks Congress. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland and Cambridge, UK .
- 2007) Satellite-based assessment of the extent and changes in the mangrove ecosystem of the Niger Delta. Marine Geodesy 30, 249–267. , , , , (
- 2002) The three screen doors: can marine “protected” areas be effective? Mar Pollut Bull 44, 1177–1183. , , (
- 2008) Biological responses in marine no-take reserves versus partially protected areas. Marine Ecol Prog Ser 367, 49–56. , (
- 1999) Is there a future for coral reef parks in poor tropical countries? Coral Reefs 18, 321–325. (
- 2006) Coral reefs and the global network of marine protected areas. Science 312, 1750–1751. , , (
- 2005) Marine conservation biology: the science of maintaining the sea's biodiversity. Island Press, Washington , D.C . , (
- 2001) Terrestrial ecoregions of the world: a new map of life on Earth. BioScience 51, 933–938. , , et al . (
- Ramsar Convention (2008) Draft Resolution X.20. Biogeographic regionalization in the application of the strategic framework for the list of wetlands of international importance: scientific and technical guidance. In Draft Resolution X.20. Convention on Wetlands (Ramsar, Iran, 1971) Secretariat.
- 2005) The role of marine reserves in achieving sustainable fisheries. Philos Trans R Soc B, 360. , , (
- 2006) How protected are coral reefs? Science 314, 758. , , , (
- 2007) Marine ecoregions of the world: a bioregionalization of coast and shelf areas. BioScience 57, 573–583. , , et al . (
- 1998) Interim Marine and Coastal Regionalisation for Australia: an ecosystem-based classification for marine and coastal environments. Version 3.3. Environment Australia, Commonwealth Department of the Environment, Canberra . , (
- UNEP (2006) Marine and Coastal Ecosystems and Human Well-Being. A synthesis report based on the findings of the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. UNEP, Nairobi .
- USDMA (not dated) World Vector Shoreline. GIS dataset. United States Defense Mapping Agency, Bethesda , MD , USA .
- 2006) Spaces: Marine Ecoregions of North America. In Report developed by the North American Marine Ecoregions project team. Commission for Environmental Cooperation, Montreal , Canada . , , et al . (
- 2008) Assessing progress towards global marine protection targets: shortfalls in information and action. Oryx 42, 340–351. , , , (