Water neutrality: A first quantitative framework for investing in water in South Africa
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2008
©2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 12–19, February 2009
How to Cite
Nel, D.C., Marais, C. and Blignaut, J.N. (2009), Water neutrality: A first quantitative framework for investing in water in South Africa. Conservation Letters, 2: 12–19. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2008.00035.x
- Issue published online: 10 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2008
- Received: 24 August 2008; accepted 10 October 2008.
- 2007) Long term changes in water resources driven by socio-economic and climatic changes. J Hydrol Sci 52, 247–275. , , (
- 2002) Avoiding conflicts over Africa's water resources. Ambio 31, 236–242. (
- 2007) Riverine biodiversity conservation in South Africa: current situation and future prospects. Aquatic Conserv: Mar Freshw Ecosyst 17, 441–445. (
- 2008) Changes in water availability and demand within South Africa's shared river basins as determinants of regional social and ecological resilience. In Burns, M., Weaver, A. editors. Exploring sustainability science: a South African perspective. Sun Media, Stellenbosch , South Africa . , , (
- 2007) Determining a charge for the clearing of invasive alien plants (IAPs) to augment water supply in South Africa. Water SA 33, 27–34. , , (
- Department of Water Affairs and Forestry (DWAF). (2004a) National water resource strategy: first edition. Department of Water Affairs and Forestry, Pretoria , South Africa .
- Department of Water Affairs and Forestry (DWAF). (2004b) The working for water programme: annual report 2002/3. Department of Water Affairs and Forestry, Pretoria , South Africa .
- Department of Water Affairs and Forestry (DWAF). (2006) Working for water strategic plan 2004/5–2007/.8 Department of Water Affairs and Forestry, Pretoria , South Africa .
- DWAF Department of Water Affairs and Forestry (DWAF). (2008) Strategic framework for water for sustainable growth and development. Department of Water Affairs and Forestry, Pretoria , South Africa .
- 2002) Silver bullet or fools’ gold? a global review of markets for forest environmental services and their impacts on the poor. International Institute for Environment and Development, London . , (
- 2002) Invasive alien trees and water resources in South Africa: case studies of costs and benefits of management. Forest Ecol Manage 160, 143–159. , , , , , (
- 2008) Restoration of water resources (natural capital) through the clearing of invasive alien plants from riparian areas in South Africa – Costs and water benefits. S Afr J Bot 74, 526–537. , (
- Millennium Assessment. (2005) Ecosystems and human well-being: wetlands and water. Synthesis. Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, World Resources Institute, Washington , D.C .
- 2007) Rivers in peril inside and outside protected areas: a systematic approach to conservation assessment of river ecosystems. Divers Distrib 13, 341–352. , , et al . (
- 2007) All that glitters: a review of payments for watershed services in developing countries. International Institute of Environment and Development, London . , , (
- 2006) Pay – establishing payments for watershed services. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland . , , , (
- 2001) Global terrestrial observing system: regional implementation plan for Southern Africa. GTOS-21. CSIR, Pretoria . (
- 2002) Use of landscape-level river signatures in conservation planning: a South African case study. Conserv Ecol 6 article 6. Available from: http://www.consecol.org/vol6/iss2/art6. Accessed August 2008. , , , (
- 2008) The working for water programme: evolution of a payments for ecosystem services mechanism that addresses both poverty and ecosystem service delivery in South Africa. Ecol Econ 65, 788–798. , , (
- 2008) Basin closure and issues of scale: the southern African hydropolitical complex. Int J Water Res Dev 24, 305–318. , (
- 1998) Alien invading plants and water resources in South Africa: a preliminary assessment. CSIR Report, Stellenbosch : CSIR Division of Water, Environment and Forestry Technology. , , (
- 2008) Taking stock: a comparative analysis of payments for environmental services programs in developed and developing countries. Ecol Econ 65, 834–852. , , (