State-level variation in conservation investment by a major nongovernmental organization
Version of Record online: 19 DEC 2008
©2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 74–81, April 2009
How to Cite
Fishburn, I. S., Kareiva, P., Gaston, K. J., Evans, K. L. and Armsworth, P. R. (2009), State-level variation in conservation investment by a major nongovernmental organization. Conservation Letters, 2: 74–81. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2008.00045.x
- Issue online: 6 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 19 DEC 2008
- Received: 19 August 2008; accepted: 26 November 2008
- 2003) Could state-level variation in the number of land trusts make economic sense? Land Econ 79, 311–327. , (
- 1998) Species distributions, land values and efficient conservation. Science 279, 2126–2128. , , , (
- 2006) Land market feedbacks can undermine biodiversity conservation. P Natl Acad Sci USA 103, 5403–5408. , , , (
- 1997) The private-land problem. Conserv Biol 11, 1–2. , (
- 2008) Cost-effective global conservation spending is robust to taxonomic group. P Natl Acad Sci USA 105, 185–187. , , et al . (
- CPI (Consumer Price Index) Inflation Calculator. (2006) US Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics. Available from: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl. Accessed 18 February 2006.
- 1989) Conservation easements and the common law. Stan Envtl L J 8, 2–45 , (
- 2002) Planning for biodiversity conservation: putting conservation science into practice. BioScience 52, 499–512. , , et al . (
- GuideStar. (2006) A registered trademark and operating name of Philanthropic Research. Available from: http://partners.guidestar.org. Accessed 23 September 2006.
- 2006) Gaps and mismatches between global conservation priorities and spending. Conserv Biol 20, 56–64. , , , , , (
- 2002) Biophysical factors, land use, and species viability in and around nature reserves. Conserv Biol 16, 1112–1122. , (
- 2005) Confronting a biome crisis: global disparities of habitat loss and protection. Ecol Lett 8, 23–29. , , , (
- 2004) Model selection in ecology and evolution. Trends Ecol Evol 19, 101–108. , (
- 2003) Conserving biodiversity coldspots. Am Sci 91, 344–351. , (
- 2007) Conservation easements in context: a quantitative analysis of their use by The Nature Conservancy. Front Ecol Environ 5, 125–130. , , et al . (
- 2007) Embracing opportunism in the selection of priority conservation areas. Conserv Biol 21, 1124–1126. , (
- 1999) Ecological methodology, 2nd edition, pages 551–554. Addison-Welsey Educational Publishers, Inc, Canada. (
- LTA (Land Trust Alliance). (2003) Land trust alliance – land trust alliance census tables. Available from: http://www.lta.org/census/census_tables.htm. Accessed 19 April 2006.
- LTA (Land Trust Alliance). (2004) Private land conservation in the U.S. soars. Available from: http://www.lta.org/newsroom/pr_111804.htm. Accessed 29th June 2007.
- LTA (Land Trust Alliance). (2005) Private land conservation in the U.S. soars. Available from: http://www.lta.org/aboutlt/census.shtml. Accessed 29th June 2007.
- 2007) What's in Noah's wallet? Land conservation spending in the United States. BioScience 57, 419–423. , , (
- 2006) Model weights and the foundations of multimodel inference. Ecology 87, 2626–2635. , (
- 2000) Systematic conservation planning. Nature 405, 243–253. , (
- 2004) Land trusts and conservation easements: who is conserving what for whom? Conserv Biol 18, 65–75. , , , (
- MEA (Millenium Ecosystem Assessment). (2005) Ecosystems and human well-being: synthesis reports. Available from: http://www.millenniumassessment.org/en/index.aspx. Accessed 22 November 2007.
- 2003) Biological, vs, social, economic and political priority-setting in conservation. Ecol Lett 6, 706–711. , , (
- 2003) The challenge facing private land conservation. Property and Environment Research Center (PERC) . Available from: http://www.perc.org/pdf/pr_june03.pdf. Accessed 13 December 2005. (
- 2006) Human impacts on the rates of recent, present, and future bird extinctions. P Natl Acad Sci USA 103, 10941–10946. , , , , (
- 2002) Experimental design and data analysis for biologists. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK . , (
- 2005) Pinpointing and preventing imminent extinctions. P Natl Acad Sci USA 102, 18497–18501. , , et al . (
- 2007) Biodiversity protection and private use on conservation easements. Conserv Biol 21, 709–718. , , et al . (
- 2001) Nature reserves: do they capture the full range of America's biological diversity? Ecol Appl 11, 999–1007. , , , , , (
- 2008) Evaluating conservation spending for biodiversity return: a retrospective analysis in California. Conserv Lett, in press. , , (
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2000) Census of Population and Housing, Population and Housing Unit Counts PHC-3-1, United States Summary Washington, DC, 2004. Available from: http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2000/phc3-us-pt1.pdf. Accessed 22 February 2006.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). (2000) National Agriculture Statistics Service, 2002 Census of Agriculture. Available from: http://18.104.22.168:8080/Census/Create_Census_US.jsp. Accessed April 2006.
- WWF (World Wildlife Fund for Nature). (2004) Living planet report 2004. WWF-World Wildlife Fund for Nature, Gland, Switzerland. Available from: http://www.panda.org/news_facts/publications/living_planet_report/index.cfm. Accessed 18 July 2007.
- 2005) Conservation easements as a conservation strategy: is there a sense to the spatial distribution of easements? Nat Area J 25, 282–289. , , , (
- 2008) Enhancing the engagement of U.S. private foundations with conservation science. Conserv Biol 22, 1477–1484. , , et al . (