REDD in the red: palm oil could undermine carbon payment schemes
Version of Record online: 24 MAR 2009
©2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 67–73, April 2009
How to Cite
Butler, R. A., Koh, L. P. and Ghazoul, J. (2009), REDD in the red: palm oil could undermine carbon payment schemes. Conservation Letters, 2: 67–73. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2009.00047.x
- Issue online: 6 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 24 MAR 2009
- Received: 23 September 2008; accepted 17 December 2008
- 2008) State and trends of the carbon market 2008. World Bank, Washington , D.C. , (
- 1999) The hesitant boom: Indonesia's oil palm sub-sector in an era of economic crisis and political change. Center for International Forestry Research, Bogor , Indonesia . (
- 2008) Generating carbon finance through avoided deforestation and its potential to create climatic, conservation and human development benefits. Phil Trans R Soc B 363, 1917–1924. , (
- 2006) 2006 IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories. Institute for Global Environmental Strategies, Hayama , Japan . , , , , (
- 2008) Land clearing and the biofuel carbon debt. Science, 319, 1235–1238. , , , , (
- 2008) How will oil palm expansion affect biodiversity? Trends Ecol Evol 23, 538–545. , , et al . (
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (2008) FAOSTAT online statistical service. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome , Italy .
- 2008) Carbon payback times for crop-based biofuel expansion in the tropics: the effects of changing yield and technology. Environ Res Lett, doi:DOI: 10.1088/1748-9326/3/3/034001. , , et al . (
- 2008) The cost of avoiding deforestation: update of the report prepared for the stern review of the economics of climate change. International Institute for Environment and Development, London , U.K. (
- 2007) State of the voluntary carbon market 2007: picking up steam. The Ecosystem Marketplace and New Carbon Finance, Washington , D.C. , , , (
- 2008) Biofuels, biodiversity, and people: understanding the conflicts and finding opportunities. Biol Conserv 141, 2450–2460. , (
- 2008a) Is oil palm agriculture really destroying tropical biodiversity? Conserv Lett 1, 60–64. , (
- 2008b) Oil palm: disinformation enables deforestation. Trends Ecol Evol 24, 67–68. , (
- 2006) A new initiative to use carbon trading for tropical forest conservation. Biotropica 39, 20–24. (
- 2008) Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and forest degradation: global land-use implications. Science 320, 1454–1455. , (
- 2007) Policies to reduce emissions from deforestation and degradation (REDD) in tropical forests: an examination of the issues facing the incorporation of REDD into market-based climate policies. Resources for the Future, Washington , D.C. (
- 2007) The costs and benefits of reducing carbon emissions from deforestation and forest degradation in the Brazilian Amazon. The Woods Hole Research Center, Falmouth , Massachusetts. , , et al . (
- 2002) The amount of carbon released from peat and forest fires in Indonesia during 1997. Nature 420, 61–65. , , , , , (
- 2007) Reducing carbon emissions from deforestation in the Ulu Masen Ecosystem, Aceh, Indonesia. The Provincial Government of Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam, Fauna and Flora International, and Carbon Conservation, Aceh , Indonesia . , , (
- 2007) Challenges to estimating carbon emissions from tropical deforestation. Global Change Biol 13, 51–66. , , , , , (
- 2007) An analysis of the economic implications of developing oil palm plantations on deforestated land in Indonesia. Worldwide Fund for Nature, Gland , Switzerland . (
- 2007) Tropical conservation biology. Blackwell Science, Oxford , U.K. , , (
- 2007) Readiness for REDD: a preliminary global assessment of tropical forested land suitability for agriculture. The Woods Hole Research Center, Falmouth , Massachusetts . , , , , (
- 2009) Emeralds on the equator: an avoided deforestation carbon markets strategy manual. Master of Science Thesis. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan . (
- 2008) Think tank reveals plans to manage tropical forests. Nature 454, 373. (
- 2002) Carbon offsets for conservation and development in Indonesia? Am J Altern Agric 17, 125–137. , , et al . (
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (2001) The Marrakesh accords and the Marrakesh declaration. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, Bonn , Germany .
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (2008) Report of the conference of the parties on its thirteenth session. Decision 2/CP.13. Reducing emissions from deforestation in developing countries: approaches to stimulate action. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, Bonn , Germany .
- United States Department of Agriculture—Foreign Agricultural Service (2008) Production, supply and distribution online. United States Department of Agriculture—Foreign Agricultural Service, Washington , D.C.
- World Bank (2008a) Commodity price data (pink sheet). World Bank, Washington , D.C. Available from :http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTDAILYPROSPECTS/Resources/Pnk_1208R.pdf (accessed December 2008).
- World Bank (2008b) Rising food prices: policy options and World Bank response. World Bank, Washington , D.C. Available from: http://go.worldbank.org/4R17TIA330 (accessed December 2008).
- 2006) Are direct payments for environmental services spelling doom for sustainable forest management in the tropics? Ecol Soc 11, 23. (