Mapping cumulative human impacts to California Current marine ecosystems
Article first published online: 17 APR 2009
©2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 138–148, June 2009
How to Cite
Halpern, B. S., Kappel, C. V., Selkoe, K. A., Micheli, F., Ebert, C. M., Kontgis, C., Crain, C. M., Martone, R. G., Shearer, C. and Teck, S. J. (2009), Mapping cumulative human impacts to California Current marine ecosystems. Conservation Letters, 2: 138–148. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2009.00058.x
- Issue published online: 3 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2009
- Received: 29 October 2008; accepted 1 April 2009
- 2000) MARXAN (v1.8.2): marine reserve design using spatially explicit annealing. , (
- 1992) The introduction and spread of smooth cordgrass (Spartina alterniflora) in south San Francisco bay. Estuaries 15, 218–226. , (
- 2008) Emergence of anoxia in the California Current large marine ecosystem. Science 319, 920. , , et al . (
- 2005) Manganese and iron distributions off central California influenced by upwelling and shelf width. Mar Chem 95, 235–254. , , et al . (
- 2003) From anchovies to sardines and back: multidecadal change in the Pacific Ocean. Science 299, 217–221. , , , (
- EPA (2005) National coastal condition report II. NOAA, Washington , D.C. , p. 311.
- 2003) Future coral reef habitat marginality: temporal and spatial effects of climate change in the Pacific basin. Coral Reefs 22, 551–558. , , (
- 2007) Evaluating and ranking the vulnerability of global marine ecosystems to anthropogenic threats. Conserv Biol 21, 1301–1315. , , , (
- 2008a) Diminishing sea ice—response. Science 321, 1444–1445. , , et al. (
- 2008b) Managing for cumulative impacts in ecosystem-based management through ocean zoning. Ocean Coast Manage 51, 203–211. , , , (
- 2008c) A global map of human impact on marine ecosystems. Science 319, 948–952. , , et al . (
- 1998) How habitat degradation through fishery disturbance enhances impacts of hypoxia on oyster reefs. Ecol Appl 8, 128–140. , (
- 2005) Scientific consensus statement on marine ecosystem-based management. Communication Partnership for Science and the Sea, Corvallis , OR . , , , (
- 2008) Modeling stakeholder preferences with probabilistic inversion: application to prioritizing marine ecosystem vulnerabilities. Pages 265–285 in L.Linkov, editor. Real-time and deliberative decision making. Springer, Amsterdam , The Netherlands . , , , , , (
- POC (2003) America's living oceans: charting a course for sea change. Pew Oceans Commission, Arlington , VA .
- 2000) Mathematical methods for identifying representative reserve networks. Pages 291–305 in S.Ferson, M.Burgman, editors. Quantitative methods for conservation biology. Springer-Verlag, New York . , , (
- 2008) Marine ecosystem-based management in practice: scientific and governance challenges. BioScience 58, 53–63. , , , (
- 2005) Introduction of non-native oysters: ecosystem effects and restoration implications. Ann Rev Ecol Evol Syst 36, 643–689. , , et al . (
- 2009). A map of human impacts to a ‘pristine’ coral reef ecosystem: the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument. Coral Reefs. doi: DOI: 10.1007/s00338-009-0490-z. , , et al . (
- 2008) Response to comment on “A global map of human impact on marine ecosystems”. Science 321, 1446c. , , et al . (
- 2008) A new vision for California ocean governance: comprehensive ecosystem-based marine zoning. Stan Envtl L J 27, 209–279. , (
- Using expert judgment to assess the vulnerability of marine ecosystems in the California Current. Ecol Appl. , , et al . (in review).
- USCOP. (2004) An ocean blueprint for the 21st century. Final report to the President and Congress. U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy, Washington , D.C .
- WCGA. (2006) West Coast governors' agreement on ocean health. Available from: http://westcoastoceans.gov/docs/WCOceanAgreementp6.pdf (accessed 20 November 2008).