Carbon payments as a safeguard for threatened tropical mammals
Version of Record online: 1 MAY 2009
©2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 123–129, June 2009
How to Cite
Venter, O., Meijaard, E., Possingham, H., Dennis, R., Sheil, D., Wich, S., Hovani, L. and Wilson, K. (2009), Carbon payments as a safeguard for threatened tropical mammals. Conservation Letters, 2: 123–129. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2009.00059.x
- Issue online: 3 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 MAY 2009
- Received: 11 December 2008; accepted 12 March 2009.
- 2008) Moving ahead with REDD: issues, options and implications, CIFOR, Bogor , Indonesia . (
- 1999) Anthropogenic Fires in Indonesia: a view from Sumatra. Forest fires and regional haze in Southeast Asia (RodojevicM., EatonP., editors). Nova Science, New York . , , , , (
- 2009) REDD in the red: palm oil could undermine carbon payment schemes. Conserv Lett 2, 67–73. , , (
- 2008) A gap analysis of Southeast Asian mammals based on habitat suitability models. Biol Conserv 141, 2730–2744. , , , , , (
- 2004) Lowland forest loss in protected areas of Indonesian Borneo. Science 303, 1000–1003. , , et al . (
- 2008) Generating carbon finance through avoided deforestation and its potential to create climatic, conservation and human development benefits. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 363, 1917–1924. , (
- ESA. (2008) GlobCover Land Cover V2. Available from: http://postel.mediasfrance.org. ESA GlobCover Project, led by MEDIAS, France . Accessed 22 November 2008.
- FAO. (2006) Global forest resource assessment 2005: progress towards sustainable forest management. Forestry Paper 147. Available from: http://www.fao.org. United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Rome . Accessed 15 February 2008.
- FAO. (2008) Oil palm suitability map. Available from http://www.fao.org/ag/agl/agll/cropsuit.asp. Land and Water Development Division, United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), Rome .Accessed 26 November 2008.
- 2008) Land clearing and the biofuel carbon debt. Science 319, 1235–1238. , , , , (
- 2008) How will oil palm expansion affect biodiversity. Trends Ecol Evol 23, 538–545. , , et al . (
- 2004) Loss of forest cover in Kalimantan, Indonesia, since the 1997–1998 El Nino. Conserv Biol 18, 249–254. , , (
- 2007) Measuring transnational leakage of forest conservation. Ecol Econ 64, 423–432. , (
- 2007) Tropical forests and climate policy. Science 316, 985–986. , , et al . (
- 2003) Emissions and sinks of carbon from land use change. Available from: http://cait.wri.org/downloads/DN-LUCF.pdf. Report to the World Resources Institute from the Woods Hole Research Center, Washington , D.C. Accessed 29 August 2008. (
- 1999) Balancing the Earth's accounts. Nature 401, 323–324. , , (
- 2007) Cashing in palm oil for conservation. Nature 448, 993–994. , (
- 2008) Is oil palm agriculture really destroying tropical biodiversity? Conserv Lett 1, 60–64. , (
- 2006) State, communities and forests in contemporary Borneo. ANU E press, Canberra , Australia . (
- 2008) Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and forest degradation: global land-use implications. Science 320, 1454–1455. , (
- 2008) Leakage from an avoided deforestation compensation policy: empirical evidence, and corrective policy solutions. Working paper NI-WP 08–02. Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions Duke University. (
- 2004) Estimating leakage from forest carbon sequestration programs. Land Econ 80, 109–124. , , (
- 2000) Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403, 853–858. , , , , (
- 2009) Economic benefits of standing forests in highland areas of Borneo: quantification and policy impacts. Conserv Lett 2, 36–45. , , (
- 2006) Land suitability analysis for sustainable oil-palm plantations in Kalimantan using fuzzy weighted linear combination on multi criteria-spatial decision support system. Available from author OV. SarVision Balikpapan, Indonesia . , (
- 2008) New IPCC Tier-1 Global Biomass Carbon Map for the Year 2000. Available from: http://cdiac.ornl.gov/epubs/ndp/global_carbon/carbon_documentation.html. Carbon Dioxide Information Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge , TN . Accessed 11 December 2008. , (
- 2004) Southeast Asian biodiversity: an impending disaster. Trends Ecol Evol 19, 654–660. , , , (
- UNFCCC. (2007) Reducing emissions from deforestation in developing countries: approaches to stimulate action, conference of the parties, Bali, 3 December to 14 December 2007. Available from: http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2007/sbsta/eng/l23a01r01.pdf. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Bonn , Germany . Accessed 18 October 2008.
- 2004) Peta sebaran gambut, luas dan kandungan karbon di Kalimantan, 2000–2002. Proyek Climate Change, Forests and Peatlands in Indonesia. Wetlands International - Indonesian Programme dan Wildlife Habitat Canada, Bogor , Indonesia . , , , (
- 1992) Tropical deforestation and species extinctions. Chapman and Hall, London . , (