Critical need for new definitions of “forest” and “forest degradation” in global climate change agreements
Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2009
©2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 2, Issue 5, pages 226–232, October 2009
How to Cite
Sasaki, N. and Putz, F. E. (2009), Critical need for new definitions of “forest” and “forest degradation” in global climate change agreements. Conservation Letters, 2: 226–232. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2009.00067.x
- Issue online: 15 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 20 JUL 2009
- Received: 14 January 2009; accepted 15 June 2009.
- 2004) Improved estimates of net carbon emissions from land cover change in the tropics for the 1990s. Global Biogeochem Cycles 18, GB2008, doi:DOI: 10.1029/2003GB002142. , , , , (
- 2008) Designing the Post-Kyoto climate regime: lessons from the Harvard project on international climate agreements. An interim progress report for the 14th Conference of the Parties, Framework Convention on Climate Change, Poznan, Poland, December 2008. Cambridge , MA. : Harvard Project on International Climate Agreements , November 24, 2008. , (
- 2005) Selective logging in the Brazilian Amazon. Science 310, 480–482. , , , , , (
- 2006) Condition and fate of logged forests in the Brazilian Amazon. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103, 12947–2950. , , , , , (
- 1997) An experimental comparison of different harvesting intensities with reduced-impact and conventional logging in East Kalimantan, Indonesia. Forest Ecol Manage 94, 209–218. , (
- 2007) The nature and value of ecosystem services: an overview highlighting hydrologic services. Annu Rev Environ Resour 32, 67–98. , , , (
- 2008) Forest fragmentation from deforestation and selective logging in the Brazilian Amazon. Biol Cons 141, 1745–1757. , , , , , (
- 1999) Positive feedbacks in the fire dynamic of closed canopy tropical forests. Science 284, 1832–1835. , , et al . (
- FAO (2000) FAO global forest resource assessment 2000. Forestry Paper 140. FAO, Rome .
- FAO (2001) Financial and economic assessment of timber harvesting operations in Sarawak, Malaysia. Forest Harvesting Case Studies 17. FAO, Rome .
- FAO (2005) Global forest resources assessment 2005. Progress towards sustainable forest management. FAO Forestry Paper 147, Rome .
- 1998) State and change in carbon pools in the forests of tropical Africa. Glob Change Biol 4, 97–114. , , , (
- 2007) Monitoring and estimating tropical forest carbon stocks: making REDD a reality. Environ Res Letters 2, 045023. , , , (
- 2007) Tropical forests and climate policy. Science 316, 985–986. , , et al . (
- 2007) Illegal logging cut it out! The UK's role in the trade in illegal timber and wood products. WWF-UK, Surrey . , , , (
- 1997) Fire in Amazonian selectively logged rain forest and the potential for fire reduction. Ecol Applic 7, 713–725. , (
- 2002) Financial and ecological indicators of reduced impact logging performance in the eastern Amazon. Forest Ecol Manage 163, 93–110. , , et al . (
- 2003) Revised estimates of the annual net flux of carbon to the atmosphere from changes in land use and land management 1850–2000. Tellus 55B, 378–390. (
- IISD (International Institute for Sustainable Development) (2008) Summary of the fourteenth conference of the parties to the UNFCCC and fourteenth meeting of the Kyoto Protocol: 1–12 December 2008. Earth Negotiations Bulletin 12, 395.
- 1996) Logging damages during planned and unplanned logging operations in the eastern Amazon. Forest Ecol Manage 89, 59–77. , , (
- 2008) Global cost estimates of reducing carbon emissions through avoided deforestation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105, 10302–10307. , , et al . (
- 2005) Biomass energy demand and supply for South and South-East Asia—assessing the resource base. Biomass Bioenerg 28, 133–150. (
- 2007) Expansion of industrial logging in central Africa. Science 316, 1451. , , , , (
- 2002) Protecting Mondolokiri's forest from illegal loggers is a military-style operation. The Cambodia Daily, Weekend Saturday, August 24–25, 2002. (
- 2008) Forest transition in Vietnam and its environmental impacts. Glob Change Biol 14, 1–8. , (
- 2008) Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and forest degradation: global land-use implications. Science 320, 1454–1455. , (
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005) Ecosystems and human well-being: synthesis. Island Press, Washington , DC .
- 2006) Choosing a forest definition for the Clean Development Mechanism. Forests and Climate Change Working Paper 4. FAO, Rome . , , (
- 1999) Large-scale impoverishment of Amazonian forests by logging and fire. Nature 398, 505–508. , , et al . (
- 2003) Biodiversity meets the atmosphere: a global view of forest canopies. Science 301, 183–186. , , et al . (
- 2008) Is reducing emissions from deforestation financially feasible? A Panamanian case study. Clim Policy 8, 23–40. , , (
- 2008a) Reduced-impact logging: challenges and opportunities. Forest Ecol Manage 256, 1427–1433. , , , (
- 2008b) Improved tropical forest management for carbon retention. PLoS Biol 6, e166 doi:DOI: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0060166 , , et al . (
- 2007) Definitional issues related to reducing emissions from deforestation in developing countries. FAO Forests and Climate Change Working Paper 5. FAO, Rome . , , , (
- 2001) Increased damage from fires in logged forests during droughts caused by El Niño. Nature 414, 437–440. , , , (
- 1999) Stand structure and floristic composition of a primary lowland dipterocarp forest in East Kalimantan. J Trop For Sci 11, 704–722. , (
- 2004) Status of forest genetic resources conservation and management in Cambodia. Pages 150–163 in T.Luoma-aho, L.T.Hong, V.R.Ramanatha, H.C.Sim, editors. Forest genetic resources conservation and management. Proceedings of the Asia Pacific Forest Genetic Resources Programme Inception Workshop, Kepong, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 15–18 July 2003. (
- 2002) Financial assessment of reduced impact logging techniques in Sabah, Malaysia. Pages 125–140 in T.Enters, P.B.Durst, G.B.Applegate, P.C.S.Kho, G.Man, editors. Applying reduced impact logging to advance sustainable forest management. FAO, RAP Publication 2002/15, Bangkok . , , (
- UNFCCC (2002) Report of the Conference of the Parties on its seventh session, held at Marrakesh from 29 October to 10 November 2001 (FCCC/CP/2001/13/Add.1, UNFCCC, Marrakesh, Morocco, 2001). [WWW document]. URL http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/cop7/13a01.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2008.
- UNFCCC (2008) Report of the Conference of the Parties on its thirteenth session, held in Bali from 3 to 15 December 2007 (FCCC/CP/2007/6/Add.1, UNFCCC, Bali, Indonesia, 2008). [WWW document]. URL http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2007/cop13/eng/06a01.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2008.
- 2007) Implications of country-level decisions on the specification of crown cover in the definition of forests for the land area eligible for afforestation and reforestation in the CDM. Clim Change 81, 415–430. , , , (
- 2008) Land area eligible for afforestation and reforestation within the Clean Development Mechanism: a global analysis of the impact of forest definition. Mitig Adapt Strat Global Change 13, 219–239. , , , (