Opportunities for achieving biodiversity conservation through REDD
Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2009
©2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 3, Issue 1, pages 53–61, February 2010
How to Cite
Harvey, C. A., Dickson, B. and Kormos, C. (2010), Opportunities for achieving biodiversity conservation through REDD. Conservation Letters, 3: 53–61. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2009.00086.x
- Issue online: 11 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2009
- Received: 18 August 2009; accepted 9 November 2009.
- 2008) Moving ahead with REDD: issues, options and implications. Center for International Forestry Research, Bangor , Indonesia . (
- 2009) Reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD): an options assessment report. Meridian Institute, Washington , DC , USA . , , , , , (
- 2008) Measuring the effectiveness of protected area networks in reducing deforestation. PNAS 105, 16089–16094. , , , , (
- 2008) Using carbon investment to grow the biodiversity bank. Conserv Biol 22, 510–513. , (
- 2008) Plantation forests and biodiversity: oxymoron or opportunity? Biodivers Conserv 17, 925–951. , , , , (
- 2008) Protecting the future: carbon, forests, protected areas and livelihoods. Biodiversity 9, 117–121. , , , , , (
- 2008) Managing forests for climate change mitigation. Science 320, 1456–1457. , (
- 2005) Measuring the extent and effectiveness of protected areas as an indicator for meeting global biodiversity targets. Phil Trans R Soc B 360, 443–455. , , , (
- CCBA. (2008) Climate community and biodiversity project design standards, 2nd Edition. Climate, Community and Biodiversity Alliance, Arlington , USA .
- 2004) Lowland forest loss in protected areas of Indonesian Borneo. Science 303, 1000–1003. , , et al . (
- 2007) No forest left behind. PLoS Biol 5, e216. , , , , , (
- 2008) Biofuel plantations on forested lands: double Jeopardy for biodiversity and climate. Conserv Biol 23, 348–358. , , et al . (
- 2008) Generating carbon finance through avoided deforestation and its potential to create climatic, conservation and human development benefits. Phil Trans R Soc B 363, 1917–1924. , (
- 2004) Key biodiversity areas as site conservation targets. BioScience 54, 1110–1118. , , et al . (
- 2008) Climate Change: Financing Global Forests. The Eliasch Review. Earthscan , London , UK . (
- FAO. (2006) Global Forest Resources Assessment. Food and Agriculture Organisation (United Nations), Rome , Italy .
- FCCC. (2009a) FCCC/AWGLCA/2009/4 (Part II), Fulfillment of the Bali Action Plan and components of the agreed outcome, Note by the Chair. p. 12 para 43.
- FCCC. (2009b) FCCC/AWGLCA/2009/9, Summary of views expressed during the fifth session of the Ad Hoc Working Group on Long-term Cooperative Action under the Convention, Note by the Chair. p. 11 para 47(e).
- FCCC. (2009c) FCCC/SBSTA/2009/L.9, Reducing emissions from deforestation in developing countries: approaches to stimulate action. Draft conclusions proposed by the Chair.
- FCCC. (2009d) FCCC/SBSTA/2009/MISC.1, Issues relating to indigenous people and local communities for the development and application of methodologies. Submissions from Parties.
- 2008) Mitigation needs adaptation: Tropical forestry and climate change. Mitig Adapt Strategies Global Change 13, 793–808. , , , , (
- 2007) Tropical forests and climate policy. Science 316, 985–986. , , et al . (
- 2007) Do trees grow on money? The implications of deforestation research for policies to promote REDD. CIFOR, Bogor , Indonesia . , , , , , (
- 2005) Consequences of broad scale timber plantations for biodiversity in cleared rainforest landscapes of tropical and subtropical Australia. For Ecol Manage 208, 359–372. , & (
- 2008) Global cost estimates of reducing carbon emissions through avoided deforestation. PNAS 105, 10302–10307. , , et al . (
- 2008) Can carbon trading save vanishing forests? BioScience 58, 286–287. (
- 2009) Sustaining livelihoods while reducing emissions from deforestation. Options for Policymakers. Working Paper, Nicholas Institute, Duke University, North Carolina . , , (
- 2009) The Nature of Climate Change: Reunite International Climate Change Mitigation Efforts with Biodiversity Conservation and Wilderness Protection. Int J Wilderness 15, 7–13, 40. , (
- 2008) Old-growth forests as global carbon sinks. Nature 455, 213–215. , , et al . (
- 2008) Green Carbon: the role of natural forests in carbon storage, Part I, Australian National University Press, Australia . , , , (
- 2008) Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and forest degradation: global land use implications. Science 320, 1454–1455. , (
- 2006) Incorporating multiple criteria into the design of conservation networks: a minireview with recommendations. Diveristy Distrib 12, 125–137. , (
- 2000) Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403, 853–858. , , , (
- 2009) The Little REDD+ Book: a guide to governmental and non-governmental proposals for reducing emissions from deforestation and degradation. Global Canopy Programme, Oxford , UK . , , , (
- 2008) Making REDD work for the poor. Poverty Environment Partnership. Overseas Development Institute, London , UK . , , , , (
- 2008) Improved tropical forest management for carbon retention. PLoS Biology 6(7), 1368–1369. , , et al . (
- 2009) Dangers of carbon-based conservation. Global Environ Change 19, 400–401. , (
- 2007) Carbon mitigation by biofuels or by saving and restoring forests? Science 317, 902. , (
- 2009) Critical need for new definitions of “forest” and “forest degradation” in global climate change agreements. Conserv Lett 2, 226–232. , (
- 2007) Definition issues related to reducing emissions from deforestation in developing countries. Forests and Climate Change Working Paper 5. FAO, Rome , Italy . , , , (
- 2002) Forest certification eligibility as a screen for CDM sink projects. Climate Policy 2, 335–351. (
- Terrestrial Carbon Group. (2009) Tools for Setting Reference Emissions Levels. Policy Brief #2, London , UK .
- UNEP-WCMC. (2008) Carbon and biodiversity: a demonstration atlas. V.Kapos, C.Ravilious, A.Campbell et al . editors. UNEP-WCMC, Cambridge , UK .
- UNFCCC. (2002) United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, Report of the Conference of the Parties Seventh Session held at Marrakesh. Decision 1/CP.7, FCCC/CP/2001/13/Add.1, p. 58. Available from: http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/cop7/13a01.pdf. Accessed October 29–November 10, 2001.
- UNFCCC. (2007) United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, Conference of the Parties, Thirteenth Session, Bali, Indonesia, December 3–15. Decision 1/CP.13: Bali Action Plan, U.N. Doc. FCCC/CP/2007/6/Add.1. Available from: http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2007/tcop13/eng/06a01.pdf#page=3. Accessed 14 March, 2008.
- 2009). Carbon payments as a safeguard for threatened tropical mammals. Conserv Lett 2, 123–129. , , et al . (