Conservation-reliant species and the future of conservation
Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2010
©2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 91–97, April 2010
How to Cite
Scott, J. M., Goble, D. D., Haines, A. M., Wiens, J. A. and Neel, M. C. (2010), Conservation-reliant species and the future of conservation. Conservation Letters, 3: 91–97. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2010.00096.x
- Issue online: 20 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2010
- Received: 31 August 2009; accepted 13 January 2010.
- Australian Government Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts. (2009) Advice to the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts from the Threatened Species Scientific Committee (the Committee) on Amendments to the List of Threatened Species under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act of 1999 (EPBC Act). Canberra , Australia .
- 2005) The convention on biological diversity's 2010 target. Science 307, 212–213. , , et al . (
- 2010) Using conservation-management agreements to secure post-delisting perpetuation of conservation-reliant species: the Kirtland's warbler as a case study. BioScience In press. , (
- 2009) Priorities and paradigms: directions in threatened species recovery. Conserv Letters 2, 101–108. (
- 2001) Why listing may be forever: perspectives on delisting under the US Endangered Species Act. Conserv Biol 15, 1258–1268. , (
- EPBC. (2009) List of threatened fauna. http://www.environment.gov/cgi-bin/sprat/public/publicthreatenedlist.pl?wanted=fauna (visited Oct. 31, 2009).
- Federal District Court for the District of Montana. (2009) Greater Yellowstone Coalition Inc. v. Servheen, CV 07–134-M-DWM.
- 2009) On private property: finding common ground on the ownership of land. Beacon Press, Boston , MA . (
- 2006) Evolution of at risk species protection. Pages 6–23 in J.M.Scott, D.D.Goble, F.W.Davis, editors. The Endangered Species Act at thirty: conserving biodiversity in human-dominated landscapes. Island Press, Washington , D.C . (
- 2010) The Endangered Species Act: what we talk about when we talk about recovery. Nat Resour J 49, in press. (
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). (2007) Synthesis report of the fourth assessment of the Intergovernmental Panel on climate change. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge .
- 1998) Essays on science and society: gardenification of wildland nature and the human footprint. Science 279, 1312–1313. (
- 2007) Domesticated nature: shaping landscapes and ecosystems for human welfare. Science 316, 1866–1869. , , , (
- 2005) Sonoran pronghorn habitat use on landscapes disturbed by military activities. Wildl Soc Bull 33, 16–23. , , et al . (
- 2006) The end of nature. Random House, New York . (
- 2006) Reintroduction of the brush-tailed bettong (Bettongia penicillaton agilbyi) into Lincoln National Park. Government of Southern Australia, Adelaide, Australia Department of Environment and Heritage. , , (
- 1993) Statistical methods in agriculture and experimental biology. Chapman & Hall/CRC, Boca Raton , FL . , , (
- 1998) Interactive effects of fire and microhabitat on plants of Florida scrub. Ecol Appl 8, 935–946. , (
- 2006) The end of the wild. MIT Press, Cambridge , MA . (
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. (2005) Ecosystems and human well-being: synthesis. Island Press, Washington , D.C .
- 2002) The Endangered Species Act: dollars and sense? BioScience 52, 163–168. , , , (
- 2007) Maximizing return on investment in conservation. Biol Conserv 139, 375–388. , , , , , (
- 2003) The listing and de-listing of invertebrate species for conservation in Australia. J Insect Conserv 7, 199–205. , (
- 2006) Incentive mechanisms. Pages 247–258 in J.M.Scott, D.D.Goble, F.W.Davis, editors. The Endangered Species Act at thirty: renewing the conservation promise. Island Press, Washington , D.C . , (
- 2005) Pinpointing and preventing imminent extinctions. PNAS 102(51), 18497–18501. , , et al . (
- 2005) Recovery of imperiled species under the Endangered Species Act: The need for a new approach. Front Ecol Environ 3, 383–389. , , , , , (
- 2008) Climate change, elevational range shifts, and bird extinctions. Conserv Biol 22, 140–150. , , , (
- 1994) Mammal decline and recovery in Australia. J Mammalogy 75, 288–297. , (
- 2005) What's wrong with the Endangered Species Act? Science 309, 2150–2152. (
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). (1990). Reclassification of the Aleutian Canada goose from endangered to threatened status. Fed Reg 55, 51106–51112.
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). (1998) Final revised Sonoran Pronghorn recovery plan. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Albuquerque , NM .
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). (2002) Removal of Potentilla robbinsiana (Robbins’ cinquefoil) from the federal list of endangered and threatened plants. Federal Register 67, 54968–54975.
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). (2005) Draft revised recovery plan for Hawaiian waterbirds, second draft of second revision. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Portland , OR .
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). (2007) Running buffalo clover (Trifolium stoloniferum) recovery plan. First revision. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Fort Snelling , MN .
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). (2009a) Delisting Report [WWW document]. URL http://www.ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/DelistingReport.do. Accessed 8 October 2009.
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). (2009b) Listed FWS/joint FWS and NMFS species and populations with recovery plans (sorted by listed entity) [WWW document]. URL http://www.ecos.fws.gov/tess_public/TESSWebpaheRecovery?sort=1. Accessed 11 August 2009.
- 2006) Threats to endangered species in Canada. BioScience 56, 903–910. , , , , , (
- 2007) The science of targeting within landscapes and watersheds to improve conservation effectiveness. Pages 63–89 in M.Schnepf, C.Cox, editors. Managing agricultural landscapes for environmental quality: strengthening the science base. Soil and Water Conservation Society of America, Ankney , IA . , , , , , (
- 2007) The demise of wildness? Bull Brit Ecol Soc 38, 78–79. (
- 2009) Landscape ecology as a foundation for sustainable conservation. Land Ecol 24, 1053–1065. (
- 2004) The private side of conservation. Front Ecol Environ 2, 326–331. (
- 2005) How many endangered species are there in the United States? Front Ecol Environt 3, 414–420. , (
- 1994) The wisdom of the spotted owl: policy lessons for a new century. Island Press, Covelo , CA . (
- 2005) Threats to vertebrate species in China and the United States. BioScience 55, 147–153. , (