Current address: Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996-1601, USA.
Representation of ecosystem services by tiered conservation strategies
Version of Record online: 24 FEB 2010
©2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 184–191, June 2010
How to Cite
Eigenbrod, F., Anderson, B. J., Armsworth, P. R., Heinemeyer, A., Gillings, S., Roy, D. B., Thomas, C. D. and Gaston, K. J. (2010), Representation of ecosystem services by tiered conservation strategies. Conservation Letters, 3: 184–191. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2010.00102.x
- Issue online: 7 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 24 FEB 2010
- Received: 7 August 2009; accepted 25 January 2010.
- Anonymous. (1994) Biodiversity : the UK Action Plan. HMSO Cm 2428, London .
- 2000) Preserving biodiversity. J Am Plann Assoc 66, 5–20. (
- 2005) Measuring the extent and effectiveness of protected areas as an indicator for meeting global biodiversity targets. Philos Trans R Soc Lond Ser B Biol Sci 360, 443–455. , , , . (
- 1993) The tiering of conservation policies. Land Use Policy 10, 281–292. , , (
- 2008) An operational model for mainstreaming ecosystem services for implementation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105, 9483–9488. , , et al . (
- 2008) Ecosystem services: from theory to implementation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105, 9455–9456. , (
- 2009) Ecosystem service benefits of contrasting conservation strategies in a human-dominated region. Proc Royal Soc B Biol Sci 276, 2903–2911. , , et al . (
- 2006) Money for nothing? A call for empirical evaluation of biodiversity conservation investments. PLoS Biol 4, Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.0040105. Accessed 22 September 2008. , (
- 2009) Surrogacy and persistence in reserve selection: landscape prioritization for multiple taxa in Britain. J Appl Ecol 46, 82–91. , , et al . (
- 2008) The ecological performance of protected areas. Annu Rev Ecol Evol Syst 39, 93–113. , , , (
- 2000) On the distance to recreational forests in Sweden. Lands Urb Plann 51, 1–10. , (
- 2008) Incorporating private lands in conservation planning: protected areas in Britain. Ecol Appl 168, 1050–1060. , (
- 2006) Mixed biodiversity benefits of agri-environment schemes in five European countries. Ecol Lett 9, 243–254. , , et al . (
- 2006) Conservation of endangered species: can incentives work for private landowners? Ecol Econ 57, 558–572. (
- 2008) Explaining the global pattern of protected area coverage, relative importance of vertebrate biodiversity, human activities and agricultural suitability. J Biogeog 35, 1337–1348. , , , , (
- 2007) Contribution of the Natura 2000 network to biodiversity conservation in Italy. Conserv Biol 21, 1433–1444. , , (
- 1994) England's national nature reserves . T. & A.D Poyser, London . (
- 2008) Conservation biodiversity and ecosystem function through limited development: an empirical evaluation. Conserv Biol 22, 70–79. , , (
- 1997) Carbon in the vegetation and soils of Great Britain. J Env Manage 49, 413–433. , . (
- 2006) Mapping the economic costs and benefits of conservation. PLoS Biol 4, Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.0040360. Accessed 22 September 2008. , (
- Natural England. (2006) England Leisure Visits—Report of the 2005 Survey. Available from: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/elvssummary_tcm6-4903.pdf. Accessed 1 June 2008.
- Natural England. (2008) State of the Natural Environment—National England. Available from: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/sone/default.htm. Accessed 1 August 2008.
- 2008) Agriculture and biodiversity conservation: opportunity knocks. Conserv Lett 1, 2–11. (
- 2008) Opportunism, threats, and the evolution of systematic conservation planning. Conserv Biol 22, 1340–1345. , (
- 2008) Quiet, nonconsumptive recreation reduces protected area effectiveness. Conserv Lett 1, 146–154. , (
- 2008) Biodiversity conservation and agricultural sustainability: towards a new paradigm of ‘ecoagriculture’ landscapes. Philos Trans R Soc Lond Ser B Biol Sci 363, 477–494. , (
- 2008) An ecosystem services framework to support both practical conservation and economic development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105, 9457–9464. , , , (
- 2004) Enhancement of farmland biodiversity within set-aside land. Conserv Biol 18, 987–994. ., . (