The views expressed in this article by Tuong Nhu Che do not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Bioeconomic losses from overharvesting tuna
Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2010
©2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 177–183, June 2010
How to Cite
Kompas, T., Grafton, R. Q. and Che, T. N. (2010), Bioeconomic losses from overharvesting tuna. Conservation Letters, 3: 177–183. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2010.00103.x
Author Contributions: TK designed the algorithm to solve the problem, performed the research and helped write the article, RQG performed the research, and designed and helped write the article, TNC performed the research and helped analyze the data.
Editor: Prof. Stephen Polasky
- Issue online: 7 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2010
- 2008) Why fishing magnifies fluctuations in fish abundance. Nature 452, 835–839. , , et al . (
- 2000) Maximizing resource rent in the Western and Central Pacific tuna fisheries. Mar Res Econ 15, 151–177. , , , (
- 1957) On the dynamics of exploited fish populations . Fish Invest Ser 2, 19. UK Min Agri Fish, London . , (
- 2003) Multilateral Governance of Fisheries Management and Cooperation in the Western and Central Pacific Fisheries. Mar Res Econ 18, 329–344. , , (
- Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA). (2008) FFA Fisheries Trade Study 2007. Available from: http://www.ffa.int/. Accessed 26 August 2008.
- 2008) Consumers’ tastes for rarity drives sturgeons to extinction. Conserv Lett 1, 199–207. , , (
- 2010) The economics of allocation in tuna regional fisheries management organizations. Pages 155–162 in R. Allen, J. Joseph D. Squires, editors. Conservation & management of transnational tuna fisheries . Wiley-Blackwell, Ames , Iowa . , , , , (
- 2007) Economics of overexploitation revisited. Science 318, 1601. , , (
- 2006a) Stock assessment of bigeye tuna in the Westerna and Central pacific Ocean, including an assessment of management options. WCPFC-SC2–2006/SA WP-2. Second meeting of the WCPFC-Scientific Committee, August 7–18, 2006, Manila , Philippines . Available from: http://www.wcpfc.int/. Accessed 21 August 2009. , , (
- 2006b) Stock assessment of Yellowfin Tuna in the Western and Central Pacific Ocean, including an analysis of management options. WCPFC-SC2-2006/SA WP-1. WCPFC Scientific Committee second regular session, Manila , Philippines , August 7–18, 2006. Available from: http://www.wcpfc.int/. Accessed 21 August 2009. , , . (
- 1998) Numerical methods in economics . MIT Press, Cambridge , MA . (
- 2006) Economic profit and optimal effort in the Western and Central Pacific tuna fisheries. Pacific Econ Bull 21, 46–62. , (
- 2009) Slow steps towards management of the world's largest tuna fishery. Mar Policy 33, 271–279. , , , , , (
- 2004) The conservation and management of shared fish stocks: legal and economics aspects. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper 465, Rome . , . (
- 2004) Tuna price in relation to economic factors and sea surface temperature in fresh tuna market. IIFET 2004 Japan Proceedings. Fukushima . , (
- 2006) Further development of, and analysis using, the Western and Central Pacific Ocean Bioeconomic Tuna Model (WCPOBTM). (ACIAR project no. ASEM/2001/036). Technical Paper No. 2, June. , , (
- 2003) Tuna prices and fishing costs for bioeconomic modelling of the Western and Central Pacific tuna fisheries. ACIAR Project No. ASEM/2001/036 (ACIAR, Canberra). , , (
- 2006) Overview of the Western and Central Pacific Ocean (WCPO) tuna fisheries, including economic conditions – 2005. WCPFC-SC2-2006/GNWP-1. WCPFC – Scientific Committee Second Regular Session, Manila, Philippines, 7–18, August. Available from: http://www.wcpfc.int/. Accessed 20 June 2008. , (