Editor Prof. Corey Bradshaw
The biodiversity bank cannot be a lending bank
Article first published online: 11 MAR 2010
©2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 151–158, June 2010
Total views since August 2010: 0
How to Cite
Bekessy, S. A., Wintle, B. A., Lindenmayer, D. B., Mccarthy, M. A., Colyvan, M., Burgman, M. A. and Possingham, H. P. (2010), The biodiversity bank cannot be a lending bank. Conservation Letters, 3: 151–158. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2010.00110.x
- Issue published online: 7 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 11 MAR 2010
- Received , 12 October 2009 , Accepted , 8 February 2010
- 2001) Vegetation of the Victorian Volcanic Plain. Proc Royal Soc Vic 113, 25–28. , (
- 2008) Using carbon investment to grow the biodiversity bank. Conserv Biol 22, 510–513. , (
- 2006) Offsets could mitigate damage to biodiversity. Nature 442, 981. (
- 2005) Landscape equivalency analysis: methodology for estimating spatially explicit biodiversity credits. Environ Manage 36, 518–524. , , , (
- 2005) Catchment care – developing an auction process for biodiversity and water quality gains. A NAP Market-Based Instrument Pilot Project (CSIRO Land and Water and the Onkaparinga Catchment Water Management Board). , , , , (
- 2007) Reptile and arboreal marsupial response to replanted vegetation in agricultural landscapes. Ecol Appl 17, 609–619. , , , , (
- 2006) Post-fire logging debate ignores many issues. Science 314, 51–52. , , et al . (
- Department of Environment and Conservation (2005) BioBanking – a biodiversity offsets and banking scheme . Working Paper, Department of Environment and Conservation, NSW State Government, Sydney , Australia .
- Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act (1999). Commonwealth of Australia.
- 2007) Banking on mitigation: new regulations might change the landscape of national wetlands policy. Am Sci 95, 122–123. (
- 2005) Status of species conservation banking in the United States. Conserv Biol 19, 996–1007. , (
- 2008) Rapidly quantifying reference conditions in modified landscapes. Biol Conserv 141, 2483–2493. , , et al . (
- 2007) Offsets for land clearing: no net loss or the tail wagging the dog? Ecol Manage Restore 8, 26–31. , (
- Growth Centres Commission. (2007) Growth centres draft conservation plan, NSW State Government. Available from: http://www.gcc.nsw.gov.au/. Accessed 26 March 2010.
- 2009) A global synthesis of plant extinction rates in urban areas. Ecol Lett 12, 1165–1173. , , et al . (
- 1993) Interspecific competition: a mechanism for rodent succession after fire in a wet heathland. Aust J Ecol 18, 193–201. , (
- 2009) Climate change, connectivity and conservation decision making – back to basics. J Appl Ecol 46, 964–969. , , , (
- 2004) Measuring the success of urban riparian revegetation projects using remnant vegetation as a reference community. Ecol Manage Restore 5, 205–209. , , (
- 2008) Extinction debt: origins, developments, and applications of a biogeographic trope. Prog Phys Geog 32, 277–291. (
- 2004) Rules of privatization: contradictions in Neoliberal Regulation of North Pacific Fisheries. Assoc Am Geog 94, 565–584. (
- 2004) The habitat hectares approach to vegetation assessment: an evaluation and suggestions for improvement. Ecol Manage Restore 5, 24–27. , , et al . (
- 2008) How much compensation is enough? A framework for incorporating uncertainty and time discounting when calculating offset ratios for impacted habitat. Restor Ecol 17, 470–478. , , , (
- 2006) The creation of compensatory habitat – can it secure sustainable development? J Nat Conserv 14, 106–116. , , , (
- 2010) Catching the baby: accounting for biodiversity and the ecosystem sector in emissions trading. Conserv Lett . doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2009.00090.x. , , (
- 1998) Ecological resilience, biodiversity, and scale. Ecosystems 1, 6–8. , , (
- 1994). Shades of irreplaceability: towards a measure of the contribution of sites to a reservation goal. Biodivers Conserv 3, 242–262. , , (
- 1995) Conservation of grassy white box woodlands: relative contributions of size and disturbance to floristic composition and diversity of remnants. Aust J Bot 43, 349–366. , (
- 1992) National wetland mitigation banking study: wetland mitigation banking concepts (Tech. Rep. 92-WMB-1, Institute for Water Resources, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Alexandria, Virginia). (
- 1993) Wetlands trading is a loser's game, say ecologists. Science 260, 1890–1892. (
- 1995) Species diversity in space and time . Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK . (
- 2002) The use of revegetated areas by vertebrate fauna in Australia: a review. Pages 318–335 in R.J. Hobbs, C.J. Yates, editors. Temperate eucalypt woodlands in Australia. Biology, conservation, management and restoration . Surrey Beatty and Sons, Chipping Norton , NSW , Australia . (
- 1981) Minimum population sizes for species conservation. BioScience 31, 131–134. (
- 2004) Biodiversity offsets: views, experience, and the business case . IUCN, Gland , Switzerland and Cambridge , UK and Insight Investment, London , UK . , , (
- 2007) Urban form, biodiversity potential and ecosystem services. Landsc Urb Plan 83, 308–317. , , , , (
- UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme). (1992) Convention on biological diversity . United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP, Nairobi , Kenya ).
- Victorian Government. (2002) Victoria's native vegetation management: a framework for action . Melbourne , Victoria , Australia .
- Victorian Government. (2009) Victoria's newest sustainable communities. Strategic Impact Assessment Report . Department of Sustainability and Environment, Melbourne , Australia .
- 2003) Measuring success: evaluating the restoration of a grassy eucalypt woodland on the Cumberland plain, Sydney, Australia. Restor Ecol 11, 489–503. , , (