The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect views of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce.
Global mismatch between research effort and conservation needs of tropical coral reefs
Article first published online: 21 OCT 2010
©2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 64–72, February 2011
How to Cite
Fisher, R., Radford, B. T., Knowlton, N., Brainard, R. E., Michaelis, F. B. and Caley, M. J. (2011), Global mismatch between research effort and conservation needs of tropical coral reefs. Conservation Letters, 4: 64–72. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2010.00146.x
Editor Paul Armsworth
- Issue published online: 5 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 21 OCT 2010
- Received , 18 May 2010, Accepted, 6 September 2010
- 2010) World Register of Marine Species. Available from: http://www.marinespecies.org. Accessed 1 April 2010. , , et al., editors. (
- 2007) Regional decline of coral cover in the Indo-Pacific: timing, extent, and subregional comparisons. PLoS One 2, e711. , (
- 1998) Reefs at risk: a map-based indicator of threats to the world's coral reefs. World Resources Institute [WRI], Washington , DC . , , , (
- 2008) Free journal-ranking tool enters citation market. Nature 451, 6. (
- Conservation International. (2008) Economic values of coral reefs, mangroves, and seagrasses: a global compilation. Center for Applied Biodiversity Science, Conservation International, Arlington , VA .
- 2005) Global assessment of coral bleaching and required rates of adaptation under climate change. Global Change Biol 11, 2251–2265. , , , , (
- 2005) In a single generation: a lament for the forests and seas of Indonesia. Pages 42–62 in P.Boomgaard, D.Henley, M.Osseweijer, editors. Muddied waters. KITLV Press, Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies, Leiden , The Netherlands . (
- 2009) Pelagic protected areas: the missing dimension in ocean conservation. TREE 24, 360–369. , , et al . (
- 1990)KeyWords Plus®: ISI's breakthrough retrieval method. Part 1. Expanding your searching power on Current Contents on Diskette. Current Contents 32, 5–9. (
- 2008) Diminishing return on investment for biodiversity data in conservation planning. Conserv Lett 1, 190–198. , , , , , (
- 2008) A global map of human impact on marine ecosystems. Science 319, 948–952. , , et al . (
- 2005) Introduction. Forests and fisheries in island Southeast Asia. Histories of natural resousrce mananagement and mismanagement. Pages 1–42 in P.Boomgaard, D.Henley, M.Osseweijer, editors. Muddied Waters. KITLV Press, Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies, Leiden , The Netherlands . , (
- 2007) Coral reefs under rapid climate change and ocean acidification. Science 318, 1737–1742. , , et al . (
- 2003) Climate change, human impacts, and the resilience of coral reefs. Science 301, 929–933. , , et al . (
- 2007) Phase shifts, herbivory, and the resilience of coral reefs to climate change. Curr Biol 17, 360–365. , , et al . (
- ISI. (2004) Essential science indicators special topics: coral reef ecology. Available from: http://esi-topics.com/coralreef. Accessed 20 July 2010.
- 2004) Model selection in ecology and evolution. TREE 19, 101–108. , (
- 2001) The future of coral reefs. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98, 5419–5425. (
- 1999) Ecological goods and services of coral reef ecosystems. Ecol Econ 29, 215–233. , (
- 2000) Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403, 853–858. , , , , (
- 2005) Global hotspots of species richness are not congruent with endemism or threat. Nature 436, 1016–1019. , , et al. (
- 2003) Global trajectories of the long-term decline of coral reef ecosystems. Science 301, 955–958. , , et al . (
- Partnerships for International Research and Education (PIRE) of the National Science Foundation (NSF). (2010) Available from: http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=12819. Accessed 25 July 2010.
- 2002) Marine biodiversity hotspots and conservation priorities for tropical reefs. Science 295, 1280–1284. , , et al . (
- 2003) Predicted recurrences of mass coral mortality in the Indian Ocean. Nature 425, 294–297. (
- 2001) World atlas of coral reefs. University of California Press, Berkeley , CA . , , (
- 2010) Global patterns and predictors of marine biodiversity across taxa. Nature 466, 1098–1101. , , et al . (
- United Nations Atlas of the Oceans. (2010) Available from: http://www.oceansatlas.org/id/geography. Accessed 6 August 2010.
- 2010). Coral Geographic. Available from: http://www.coralreefresearch.org/html/crr_cg.htm. Accessed 1 April 2009. (
- 2009a) Delineating the Coral Triangle. Galaxea 11, 91–100. , , , , (
- 2009b) The coral reef crisis: the critical importance of <350 ppm CO2. Marine Pollution Bull 58, 1428–1436. , , et al . (
- 2008) Status of coral reefs of the world. Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network and Reef and Rainforest Research Centre, Townsville , Australia . , editors. (
- 1999) Global and local threats to coral reef functioning and existence: review and predictions. Marine Freshwater Res 5, 867–878. (
- World Economic Outlook Database of the International Monetary Fund. (2009) Available from: URL http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2009/01/weodata/weoselgr.aspx. Accessed 4 April 2009.