Editor Kendra McSweeney
Protected area downgrading, downsizing, and degazettement (PADDD) and its conservation implications
Version of Record online: 19 OCT 2010
©2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 9–20, February 2011
How to Cite
Mascia, M. B. and Pailler, S. (2011), Protected area downgrading, downsizing, and degazettement (PADDD) and its conservation implications. Conservation Letters, 4: 9–20. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2010.00147.x
- Issue online: 5 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 19 OCT 2010
- Received , 25 May 2010, Accepted, 8 September 2010
- 2004) Against extinction: the story of conservation. Earthscan, London , UK . (
- AFP. (2010) Romanian NGO's alert EU to ‘violations’ of protected areas. Romania News Watch. April 29, 2010. Available from: http://www.romanianewswatch.com/2010/03/romanian-ngos-alert-eu-to-violationsof.html. Accessed. May 20 2010.
- 2005) Environmentality: technologies of government and the making of subjects. Duke University Press, Durham , NC . (
- 2010) Venezuela reordena su sistema nacional de áreas protegidas [Venezuela to Reorganize Protected Area System]. Noticias de Prensa Latina. 17 April 2010. Available from: http://www.prensa-latina.cu/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=179957&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1. Accessed. April 2010. (
- Associated Press. (2009) Halt to Puerto Rico's Northeastern Nature Preserve. New York Times. November 1, 2009. Available from: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/us/02puerto.html. Accessed 20 May 2010.
- 2009) Proposal to split up Hundred Islands bucked. Manila Bulletin. November 20, 2009. Available from: http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/230403/splitup-hundred-islands-nixed. Accessed 20 May 2010. (
- 2009) Community conserved areas: policy issues in historic and contemporary context. Conserv Lett 2, 20–25. (
- 2006) Eviction for conservation: a global overview. Conserv Soc 4, 424–470. , (
- 2001) Effectiveness of parks in protecting tropical biodiversity. Science 291, 125–128. , , , (
- 2000) Coastal forests of Eastern Africa. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland and Cambridge , UK . , (
- 1902) Two African trips: with notes and suggestions on big game preservation in Africa. Edward Stanford, London , UK . (
- Canwest News Service. (2009) Activists condemn N.S. move to open protected areas to seal hunt. canada.com news. 27 October 2009. Available from: http://www.canada.com/news/Activists+condemn+move+open+protected+areas+seal+hunt/251423/story.html. Accessed 20 May 2010.
- Convention on Biological Diversity. (2004) Decision adopted by the conference of the parties to the convention on biological diversity at its seventh meeting [Decision VII/28] Kuala Lampur, Malaysia, 9–20 and 27 February, 2004. Secretariat to the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal , Canada .
- 2008) Arctic national wildlife refuge (ANWR): votes and legislative actions, 95th Congress through 110th Congress. Congressional Research Service, The Library of Congress, Washington , DC. , (
- 2001) Challenging boundaries: the Arctic national wildlife refuge and international environmental law protection. NY Univ Environ Law J, 10, 70–116. (
- 2009) Conservation refugees: the hundred year conflict between global conservation and native peoples. MIT Press, Cambridge , MA . (
- 2010) Road through Pench wildlife park to endanger tigers. IBN live . January 20, 2010. Available from: http://ibnlive.in.com/news/road-through-pench-wildlife-park-to-endanger-tigers/1089863.html. Accessed 20 May 2010. (
- 1999) African antelope database 1998. IUCN. Gland , Switzerland and Cambridge , UK . (
- 2007) Indigenous knowledge and sustainable development in Africa: case study on Central Africa. Pages 121–139 in E.K.Boon, L.Hens, editors. Indigenous knowledge systems and sustainable development: relevance for Africa. Kamla-Raj Enterprises, Delhi , India . (
- 2010) Replacing underperforming protected areas achieves better conservation outcomes. Nature 466, 365–367. , , et al . (
- 2008) The ecological performance of protected areas. Annu Rev Ecol Evol Syst 39, 93–113. , , , (
- 1999) Politicians and poachers: the political economy of wildlife policy in Africa. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge . (
- Great Belize Productions. (2010) NGO says developers have caused damage in nature reserve Channel 5 Belize. Available from: http://edition.channel5belize.com/?p=26609. Accessed 20 May 2010.
- 2009) Wyoming enviros oppose drilling in 1st national forest. Associated Press. November 25, 2009. Available from: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9172524. Accessed 20 May 2010. (
- 2009) Proposal to mine aspiring. Otago Daily Times. December 1, 2009. Available from: http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/84055/proposal-mine-aspiring. Accessed 20 May 2010. (
- 1990) Lemurs of Madagascar and the Comoros: the IUCN Red Data Book. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland and Cambridge , UK . , (
- 2006). Evaluating effectiveness: a framework for assessing management effectiveness of protected areas, 2nd edition. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland . , , , , (
- IANS (2009) Himachal to redraw boundaries of wildlife protected areas. Thaindian News. December 17, 2009. Available from: http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/enviornment/himachal-to-redraw-boundaries-of-wildlife-protected-areas_100290474.html#ixzz0aQyBJNRs. Accessed 20 May 2010.
- IUCN (1992). Protected areas of the world: a review of national systems. Gland , Switzerland and Cambridge , UK .
- IUCN and UNEP. (2009) The World Database on Protected Areas (WDPA). UNEP-WCMC, Cambridge , UK .
- 1978) Traditional marine conservation methods in oceania and their demise. Annu Rev Ecol Syst 9, 349–364. (
- 2008) Land claims and co-management of protected areas in South Africa: exploring the challenges. Environ Manag 41, 311–321. (
- 2001) Perils and promise of privately owned protected areas. Bioscience 51, 1079–1085. , (
- 2010) Geotagging tech can help find solutions to Bulacan's mountain-related problems. Philippine Business Daily Mirror. January 26, 2010. Available from: http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/component/content/article/53-agri-commodities/21363-geotagging-tech-can-help-find-solutions-to-bulacans-mountain-related-problems.html. Accessed 31 January 2010. (
- 1996) Community-based conservation in Tanzania. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland and Cambridge, UK . , , (
- 2006) Managing protected areas: a global guide. Earthscan, London , UK . , , (
- 2009) Need for power coal threatens Zimbabwe national park. Terradaily. 26 December 2009. Available from: http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Need_for_power_coal_threatens_Zimbabwe_national_park_999.html. Accessed 20 May 2010. (
- 2006) Expanding protected areas and incorporating human resource use: a study of 15 forest parks in Ecuador and Peru. Sustainability: Science, Practice, and Policy 2, 32–44. , , et al . (
- NZPA (New Zealand Press Association). (2009a) Conservation land could be mined—Govt [sic]. The New Zealand Herald. November 27, 2009. Available from: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10612000. Accessed 20 May 2010.
- NZPA (New Zealand Press Association). (2009b) Mining prospectors in protected areas. Television New Zealand. October 18, 2009. Available from: http://tvnz.co.nz/politics-news/mining-prospectors-inprotected-areas-3081445. Accessed 16 March 2010.
- 1990) Governing the commons: the evolution of institutions for collective action. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK . (
- 2001) Genealogies of forest law and customary rights in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand. J Asian Stud 60, 761–812. , (
- 2003) Colonial wildlife conservation and the origins of the society for the preservation of the wild fauna of the empire (1903–1914). Oryx 37, 251–260. , (
- Press Trust of India. (2010) Karera sanctuary set to close as ‘golden bird’ visits no more. Zee News India Edition. April 22, 2010. Available from: http://www.zeenews.com/news621160.html. Accessed 20 May 2010.
- 2009) Drilling considered underneath old jetport site at big Cypress national preserve. National Parks Traveller. November 4, 2009. Available from: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/11/drill-or-not-drill-oil-beneath-big-cypressnational-preserve-question4868. Accessed 20 May 2010. (
- 2010) Indigenous lands, protected areas, and slowing climate change. PLoS Biol 8, 1–4. , , et al . (
- 1999) Our vanishing relative: the status of wild orangutans at the close of the twentieth century. Springer, New York , NY . , (
- 2003). Introduction. in V.Saberwal, M.Rangarajan, editors. Battles over nature: science and the politics of conservation. Permanent Black, Delhi , India . , (
- 2010a) Govt [sic] legalizes conversion of protected forest areas. Jakarta Post. March 3, 2010. Available from: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/03/09/%E2%80%98protectedforests%E2%80%99-now-grabs-mining.html. Accessed 20 May 2010. (
- 2010b) ‘Protected forests’ now up for grabs for mining. Jakarta Post. March 9, 2010. Available from: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/03/09/%E2%80%98protected-forests%E2%80%99now-grabs-mining.html. Accessed 20 May 2010. (
- SPWFE (Society for the Preservation of the Wild Fauna of the Empire). (1904) Society for the preservation of the wild fauna of the empire. Journal of The Society for the Preservation of the Wild Fauna of the Empire 1, 1–10.
- 1999). Requiem for nature. Island Press, Washington , DC. (
- 1985) Conserving Asia's natural heritage: the planning and management of protected areas in the Indomalayan realm. Page 243 in J.W.Thorsell, editor. International union for conservation of nature and natural resources (IUCN) commission on national parks and protected areas (25th : 1985 : Corbett National Park, India). Corbett National Park, Uttarakhand , India . (
- United Nations. (2009) The millennium develpoment goals report 2009 (Statistical Appendix). United Nations, New York , NY .
- 1989) The plant diversity of Malesia: proceedings of the Flora Malesiana Symposium. Page 420 in C.G.G.J.van Steenis, P.Baas, K.Kalkman, R.Geesink, editors. The Plant Diversity of Malesia. Springer, New York , NY . , , , (
- 2008) Protected areas and property rights: democratizing eminent domain in East Africa. World Resources Institute, Washington , DC. , , , (
- 2003). Wildlife and people: conflict and conservation in Masai Mara, Kenya. IIED, London , UK . (
- 2010) Mines may lift income by $2.3b a year. Business Day. March 30, 2010. Available from: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/3524963/Mines-may-lift-income-by-2--3b-a-year. Accessed 20 May 2010. (
- 2006) Parks and peoples: the social impact of protected areas. Annu Rev Anthropol 35, 251–277. , , (
- 2008) Assessing progress towards global marine protection targets: shortfalls in information and action. Oryx 42, 340–351. , , , (
- 2004) Globalization and multi-spatial trends in the coverage of protected-area conservation (1980–2000). Ambio 33, 520–529. , , (