Editor Michael Mascia
At the heart of REDD+: a role for local people in monitoring forests?
Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2011
©2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 158–167, April/May 2011
How to Cite
Danielsen, F., Skutsch, M., Burgess, N. D., Jensen, P. M., Andrianandrasana, H., Karky, B., Lewis, R., Lovett, J. C., Massao, J., Ngaga, Y., Phartiyal, P., Poulsen, M. K., Singh, S. P., Solis, S., Sørensen, M., Tewari, A., Young, R. and Zahabu, E. (2011), At the heart of REDD+: a role for local people in monitoring forests?. Conservation Letters, 4: 158–167. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2010.00159.x
- Issue online: 8 APR 2011
- Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 1 DEC 2010 08:02AM EST
- Received , 30 August 2010, Accepted, 24 November 2010
- 2006) Accounting for avoided conversion of intact and non-intact forest: technical options and a proposal for a policy tool. European Commission Joint Research Centre, Brussels . , , et al . (
- 2010) Predictable waves of sequential forest degradation and biodiversity loss spreading from an African city. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107, 14556–14561.. , , et al . (
- 2010) High-resolution forest carbon stocks and emissions in the Amazon. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107, 16738–16742. , , et al . (
- 2007) Technical summary. In B.Metz, O.R.Davidson, P.R.Bosch, R.Dave & L.A.Meyer, editors. Climate change 2007: Mitigation Contribution of Working Group III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, New York . , , et al . (
- 2000) Rediscovery of traditional ecological knowledge as adaptive management. Ecol Appl 10, 1251–1262. , , (
- 2010) Getting ready for REDD +in Tanzania: a case study of progress and challenges. Oryx 44, 339–351. , , et al . (
- 2009) Trade-offs and synergies between carbon storage and livelihood benefits from forest commons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 106, 17667–17670. , (
- 2010) Reduced expectations: the political and institutional challenges of REDD+. Oryx 44, 309–310. (
- 2005). Monitoring matters: examining the potential of locally-based approaches. Biodiv Conserv 14, 2507–2542. Available from: http://www.monitoringmatters.org. Accessed 15 November 2010. , , (
- 2010) Environmental monitoring: the scale and speed of implementation varies according to the degree of peoples involvement. J Appl Ecol, 47, 1166–1168. , , , (
- 2007) Earth observations for estimating greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation in developing countries. Environ Sci Policy 10, 385–394. , , et al . (
- 2009) Reducing emissions from deforestation and degradation: an overview of risks and opportunities for the poor. Technical Report 2009-21. Danish Institute for International Studies, Copenhagen . (
- 2005) Local enforcement and better forests. World Dev 33, 273–284. , , (
- GOFC-GOLD. (2009) A sourcebook of methods and procedures for monitoring and reporting anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions and removals caused by deforestation, gains and losses in carbon stocks in forests remaining forests, and forestation. Ed. COP15-1. GOFC-GOLD, Alberta , Canada .
- IWGIA. (2009) Indigenous affairs: REDD and indigenous peoples. International Working Group on Indigenous Affairs, Copenhagen .
- 2008) What are the costs and potentials of REDD? Pages 23–30 in A.Angelsen, editor. Moving ahead with REDD: issues, options and implications. CIFOR, Bogor , Indonesia . (
- 1997) A guide to monitoring carbon storage in forestry and agroforestry projects. Winrock International Institute for Agricultural Development, Arlington , Virginia . (
- 2007) Elements for the expected mechanisms on ‘reduced emissions from deforestation and degradation, REDD’ under UNFCCC. Environ Res Lett 2, 045024. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/2/4/045024. , , et al . (
- 2009) A general framework for analyzing sustainability of social-ecological systems. Science 325, 419–422. (
- 2003) Good practice guidance for land use, land use change and forestry. IPCC, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies, Kanagawa , Japan . , , et al ., editors. (
- 2008) Making REDD work for the Poor. Poverty & Environment Partnership, Overseas Development Institute, London . , , , , (
- 2010) Does REDD+ threaten to recentralize forest governance? Science 328, 312–313. , , (
- 2007) Challenges to estimating carbon emissions from tropical deforestation. Glob. Change Biol 13, 51–66. , , et al . (
- Rights and Resources. (2010) The end of the hinterland forests, conflict and climate change. Rights and Resources Initiative, Centre for People and Forests, Forest Peoples Programme, World Agroforestry Centre, Nairobi .
- 2008) Climate change and governance in the forest sector. Rights and Resources Initiative, Washington , DC . , , , (
- 2010) Landscapes, legibility, and conservation planning: multiple representations of forest use in Panama. Conserv Lett 3, 167–176. , , et al . (
- 2004) Tropical biologists, local people and conservation: new opportunities for collaboration. Trends Ecol Evol 19, 634–638. , (
- 2010) Community forest monitoring for the carbon market: opportunities under REDD. Earthscan, London . , editor. (
- 2003) Mapping forest degradation in the Eastern Amazon from SPOT 4 through spectral mixture models. Remote Sens Environ 87, 494–506. ., , , (
- 2005) Combining spectral and spatial information to map canopy damage from selective logging and forest fires. Remote Sens Environ 98, 329–343. , , (
- The Commission on Climate and Tropical Forests. (2009) Protecting the climate forests. Available from: http://www.climateforestscommission.org/the-report/. Accessed 20 June 2010.
- The Nature Conservancy. (2009) Don't forget the second D; the importance of including degradation in a REDD mechanism. The Nature Conservancy, Arlington , Virginia .
- 2005) Community-based monitoring of natural resource use and forest quality in montane forests and miombo woodlands of Tanzania. Biodiv Conserv 14, 2653–2677. , , , (
- UNFCCC. (2009) FCCC/SBSTA/2009/L.9 10 June 2009, SBSTA, 13th session, Bonn, 1.10 June 2009, Agenda item 5, Reducing emissions from deforestation in developing countries: approaches to stimulate action. UNFCCC, Bonn , Germany .
- UNFCCC. (2010a) Decision 2/CP.15, Copenhagen Accord. UNFCCC, Bonn , Germany . Available from: http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2009/cop15/eng/11a01.pdf#page=11. Accessed 28 August 2010.
- UNFCCC. (2010b) Draft decision–/CP.16, Outcome of the work of the ad hoc working group on long-term cooperative action under the convention. UNFCCC, Bonn , Germany . Available from: http://unfccc.int/files/meetings/cop_16/application/pdf/cop16_lca.pdf. Accessed 16 December 2010.
- UNFCCC. (2010c) Decision 4/CP.15, Methodological guidance for activities relating to reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation and the role of conservation, sustainable management of forest and enhancement of forest carbon stocks in developing countries. UNFCCC, Bonn , Germany . Available from: http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2009/cop15/eng/11a01.pdf#page=11. Accessed 28 August 2010.
- 2009) Harnessing carbon payments to protect biodiversity. Science 326, 1368. , , et al . (
- 2009) A field guide for assessing and monitoring reduced forest degradation and carbon sequestration by local communities. KTGAL Project, Enschede , The Netherlands . , (