Editor Belinda Reyers
Promise and problems for estimating management costs of marine protected areas
Version of Record online: 31 MAR 2011
©2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 4, Issue 3, pages 241–252, June/July 2011
How to Cite
Ban, N. C., Adams, V., Pressey, R. L. and Hicks, J. (2011), Promise and problems for estimating management costs of marine protected areas. Conservation Letters, 4: 241–252. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2011.00171.x
- Issue online: 7 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 31 MAR 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 7 MAR 2011 02:23AM EST
- Received , 27 July 2010, Accepted, 28 February 2011
- Australian Government. (2009) Coral Sea conservation zone. Available from: http://www.environment.gov.au/coasts/coral-sea.html. Accessed 18 December 2010.
- 2004) The worldwide costs of marine protected areas. PNAS 101, 9694–9697. , , , , (
- 2009) Spatial socio-economic data as a cost in systematic marine conservation planning. Conserv Lett 2, 206–215. , (
- 2006) Error and uncertainty in habitat models. J Appl Ecol 43, 413–423. , (
- 2004) An estimate of the costs of an effective system of protected areas in the Niger Delta – Congo Basin Forest Region. Biodivers Conserv 13, 2661–2678. (
- 2004) Financial costs and shortfalls of managing and expanding protected-area systems in developing countries. Bioscience 54, 1119–1126. , , (
- 2001) Effectiveness of parks in protecting tropical biodiversity. Science 291, 125–128. , , , (
- 2002) Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer Verlag, New York . , (
- California Department of Fish and Game. (2008) California Marine Life Protection Act, Master plan for marine protected areas, Appendix L: estimate long-term costs to implement the California MLPA. in http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/revisedmp0108l.pdf editor.
- CBD. (2006) Decisions adopted by the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity at its eighth meeting (Decision VIII). Convention on Biological Diversity, Curitiba , Brazil .
- CIA. (2009) CIA world factbook. Available from: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-worldfactbook/. Accessed 18 December 2010.
- Director of National Parks. (2009) Director of National Parks Annual Report 2008–9. pp. 1–330. Australian Government, Canberra .
- 2003) Estimating the costs of conserving a biodiversity hotspot: a case-study of the Cape Floristic Region, South Africa. Biol Conserv 112, 275–290. , , , , (
- GBRMPA. (2002) The Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area: framework for management. pp. 1–15. GBRMPA, Townsville .
- 2003) Benefits beyond boundaries: the fishery effects of marine reserves. Trends Ecol Evol 18, 448–455. , (
- 2008) The income requirements of marine protected areas. Ocean & Coastal Management 51, 272–283. , , (
- 1999a) Balancing the earth's accounts. Nature 401, 323–324. , , (
- 2001) Can we afford to conserve biodiversity? Bioscience 51, 43–52. , , (
- 1999b) A global review of protected area budgets and staffing. WCMC–World Conservation Press, Cambridge, UK. WCMC, Cambridge . , , (
- 2008) Striking a balance between biodiversity conservation and socioeconomic viability in the design of marine protected areas. Conserv Biol 33, 691–700. , , et al . (
- 2004) Integrating costs into conservation planning across Africa. Biol Conserv 117, 343–350. , , , (
- 2006) Integrating economic costs into conservation planning. Trends Ecol Evol 21, 681–687. , , , , , (
- 2009) Microeconomics (5th edition). Pearson Education, Boston . (
- R Development Core Team. (2005) R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna .
- 2006) Sensitivity of Marine-Reserve Design to the spatial resolution of socioeconomic data. Conserv Biol 20, 1191–1202. , , , (
- 2000) Fully-protected marine reserves: a guide. WWF, Washington. DC . , (
- US Department of State. (2009) Newly designated marine monuments preserve unique ocean habitat Available from: http://www.america.gov/st/env-english/2009/January/20090107180120adkcilerog0.8644831.html. Accessed 18 December 2010.
- 2001) The under-financing of protected areas in the Congo Basin: so many parks and so little willingness-to-pay. Biodivers Conserv 10, 691–709. , , (
- 2005) Fauna habitat modelling and mapping: a review and case study in the Lower Hunter Central Coast region of NSW. Austral Ecol 30, 719–738. , , (
- 2008) Assessing progress towards global marine protection targets: shortfalls in information and action. Oryx 42, 340–351. , , , (
- 2008) An Australian Coral Sea Heritage Park. The Pew Cheritable Trusts and The Pew Environment Group, Philadelphia , USA, and Syndey, Australia . , editor. (