Editor Sarah Pralle
Linking top-down and bottom-up processes through the new U.S. National Ocean Policy
Article first published online: 18 APR 2011
©2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 4, Issue 4, pages 298–303, August/September 2011
How to Cite
Sievanen, L., Leslie, H. M., Wondolleck, J. M., Yaffee, S. L., McLeod, K. L. and Campbell, L. M. (2011), Linking top-down and bottom-up processes through the new U.S. National Ocean Policy. Conservation Letters, 4: 298–303. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2011.00178.x
- Issue published online: 27 JUL 2011
- Article first published online: 18 APR 2011
- Received , 17 October 2010, Accepted, 24 February 2011
- 2005) Global marine conservation policy versus site-level: the mismatch of scale and its implications. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 300, 242–248. (
- CEQ (The White House Council on Environmental Quality). (2010) Final recommendations of the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force. July 19. Available from:http://www.whitehouse.gov/files/documents/OPTF_FinalRecs.pdf. Accessed 2 February 2011.
- 2006) Resolving mismatches in U.S. ocean governance. Science 313, 617–618. , , et al . (
- 2003) The struggle to govern the commons. Science 302, 1907–1912. , , (
- 2009) Marine spatial planning: a step-by-step approach toward ecosystem-based management. Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission and Man and the Biosphere Programme. IOC Manual and Guides, 53, 6, Paris, UNESCO. , (
- Executive Order 13547. (2010) Stewardship of the ocean, our coasts, and the great lakes. President Barack Obama, Office of the Press Secretary. July 19, 2010.
- Federal Register Notice 2011–1316. (2011) National Ocean Council; Development of strategic action plans for the National Policy for the Stewardship of the Ocean, Our Coasts, and the Great Lakes, 4139–4141. January 2011.
- 2010) Assessing stakeholder perspectives on the impacts of a decade of collaborative fisheries research in the Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank. Mar Coast Fisher Dyn, Manage, Ecosyst Sci 2, 205–216. , , (
- 2009) Matching spatial scales of ecology, economy, and management for groundfish of the U.S. West Coast marine ecosystem: a state of the science review. A report to the Lensfest Ocean Program at the Pew Charitable Trusts. , , (
- GoMC (Gulf of Maine Council on the Marine Environment). (2011) Available from: http://www.gulfofmaine.org/. Accessed 2 February 2011.
- 2008) The challenge of managing nearshore rocky reef resources. Fisheries 33, 172–179. , , et al . (
- 2006) The knowledge base for fisheries management. Elsevier, Amsterdam . , (
- 2000) Legitimacy and disappointment in fisheries management. Mar Pol 24, 141–148. (
- 2007) Confronting the challenges of implementing marine ecosystem-based management. Front Ecol Environ 5, 540–548. , (
- 2010) Policy forum: proposed US policy for ocean, coast and Great Lakes stewardship. Science 328, 1485–1486. , (
- 2009) Ecosystem-based management for the oceans. Island Press, Washington , DC . , (
- 2005) Scientific consensus statement on marine ecosystem-based management. Signed by 221 academic scientists and policy experts with relevant expertise and published by the Communication Partnership for Science and the Sea. Available from: http://compassonline.org/?q=EBM. Accessed 1 February 2011. , , , (
- NRC (National Research Council). (2004) Cooperative research in the National Marine Fisheries Service. National Academies Press, Washington , DC .
- 1990) Governing the commons: the evolution of institutions for collective action. Cambridge University Press, New York . (
- 2009) Collaborative research: an effective way to collect data for stock assessments and evaluate marine protected areas in California. Mar Coast Fisher Dyn, Manage, Ecosyst Sci 1, 315–324. , (
- 1999) Fisheries science collaborations: the critical role of the community. Conference on holistic management and the role of fisheries and mariculture in the coastal community, 11–13 November 1999, Tjärnö Marine Biological Laboratory, Sweden. (
- 2006) Matching social and ecological systems in complex ocean fisheries. Ecol Soc 11, 9–30. (
- 2000) Making collaboration work. Island Press, Washington , DC . , (
- 1996) Ecosystem management in the United States: an assessment of current experience. Island Press, Washington , DC . , , , , , (
- 2007) Solving the crisis in ocean governance: Place-based management of marine ecosystems. Environment 49, 20–32. , , et al . (