Editor Richard Cowling
Reform or reversal: implications of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) on land use, land use change, and forestry (LULUCF) in developing countries
Version of Record online: 17 JAN 2012
Copyright and Photocopying: ©2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 5, Issue 2, pages 99–106, April 2012
How to Cite
Khatun, K. (2012), Reform or reversal: implications of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) on land use, land use change, and forestry (LULUCF) in developing countries. Conservation Letters, 5: 99–106. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2011.00214.x
- Issue online: 9 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 17 JAN 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 19 DEC 2011 02:06AM EST
- Received , 17 August 2011, Accepted, 30 November 2011
- 2009) Realising REDD+: national strategy and policy options. CIFOR, Bogor, Indonesia . , , , , , , editors. (
- 2011) The root of the problem: what's driving tropical deforestation today? Tropical Forest and Climate Initiative Union of Concerned Scientists, Cambridge , MA . , , , , , (
- 2010) Of the benefits of the EU of removing the Common Agricultural Policy. Policy Brief November 19, 2009. Revised February 2, 2010. , (
- Convention on Biological Diversity, CBD. (2009) Reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD). Retrieved from https://www.cbd.int/forest/redd/.
- Coordination Européenne Via Campesina. (2010) Less soy, more pastures: solutions to feed European Farm Animals Locally. Extrait du Coordination Européenne Via Campesina. Retrieved from http://www.eurovia.org/IMG/article_PDF_article_a436.pdf.
- 2009) Introductory course on reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation and the role of conservation, sustainable management of forests, and enhancement of forest carbon stocks (REDD+): a participant resource manual. The Nature Conservancy, Conservation International, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ), Rainforest Alliance, and World Wildlife Fund, Inc. , , editors. (
- 2009) Modelling the effects of the EU Common Agricultural Policy. Productivity Commission Staff Working Paper. Melbourne , , , , (
- 2009) Ideas, institutions, and trade: the WTO and the curious role of EU Farm Policy in Trade Liberalization. Oxford University Press, Oxford , (
- 2008) Climate change: financing global forests. Department of Energy & Climate Change, London . Retrieved from http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/other/9780108507632/9780108507632.pdf. (
- FAO. (2010) Global forest resources assessment 2010. United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome , Italy .
- FAO & RECOFTC. (2010) Forests and climate change after Copenhagen: an Asia-Pacific perspective. Retrieved from http://unfccc.int/files/methods_science/redd/application/pdf/recoftc_forests_climate_change_after_copenhagen.pdf.
- FAOSTAT. (2011) Soybean production 1961–2009. Retrieved from http://faostat.fao.org/. Accessed June 2011.
- 2005) The Common Agricultural Policy: market failure & government intervention. Black's Academy Co. Ltd. (
- 2004) The future Common Agricultural Policy of the EU: consequences for non-EU regions. Working paper. The seventh annual conference on global economic analysis, The World Bank, Washington , DC , June 17–19, 2004. , (
- Global Witness. (2010) Understanding REDD+: The role of governance, enforcement and safeguards in reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation. Retrieved from http://www.globalwitness.org/sites/default/files/library/Understanding%20REDD+.pdf.
- IPAM. (2011) Leveraging market-based mechanisms for the advancement of REDD+ within agricultural commodity supply chains and the sub-national regulatory framework. Submission to the UNFCCC AWG-LCA: Views on new market-based mechanisms. Retrieved from http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2011/smsn/ngo/217.pdf.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, IPCC. (2007) Summary for policymakers. In Core Writing Team, R.K. Pachauri, A. Reisinger, editors. Climate change 2007: synthesis report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Geneva , Switzerland.
- 2009) The Common Agricultural Policy and the French, EU and Global Economies. GEM Working Paper. Sciences Po, Paris , October. Retrieved from http://gem.sciences-po.fr/content/publications/pdf/agriculture/Jomini_boulanger_CAPandFrenchGlobal102009.pdf. , , , , (
- 2008) Distortions to agricultural incentives: a global perspective. In K. Anderson, editor. Palgrave Macmillan/World Bank, London/Washington, D.C. EU15 and EFTA. (
- 2011) Reconciling timber provision with carbon sequestration opportunities in the tropical forests of Central America. Environ Sci Policy. doi:10.1016/j.envsci.2011.05.018. (
- 2011) Linking forests and food production in the REDD+ context. CCAFS Working Paper no. 1. CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change. Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS), Copenhagen , Denmark . Available at: http://www.ccafs.cgiar.org. (
- 2009) The little REDD book. Global Canopy Programme, Oxford , UK . , , , (
- 2007) Introduction. Pages 95–116 in B. Metz et al ., editors. IPCC climate change 2007: mitigation of climate change. Contribution of Working Group III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge . Retrieved from http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg3/en/contents.html. , , et al . (
- 2006) Modeling conservation in the Amazon basin. Nature 440, 520–523. , , et al . (
- 2007) Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fourth assessment report of The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge . Retrieved from http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg1/en/contents.html. , , et al ., editors. (
- 2010) Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) of the EU, FLEGT and REDD+. Retrieved from http://www.somcon.com/content/common-agricultural-policy-cap-eu-flegt-and-redd. (
- 2006) The stern review: the economics of climate change. Department of Energy & Climate Change, London . Retrieved from http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/stern_review_report.htm. (
- 2005) The evolving CAP, pressures for reform, and implications for Trade Policy. Paper prepared for the Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society's pre-conference workshop: trade policy reform and agriculture: prospects, strategies, implications. Coffs Harbour , New South Wales . (
- The REDD Desk. (2011) Brazils sustainable Cerrado initiative. Retrieved from http://www.theredddesk.org/countries/brazil/info/activity/brazil_sustainable_cerrado_initiative_0.
- Trinity College Dublin, TBD. (2011) Exploring links between EU agricultural policy and world poverty. Retrieved from http://www.tcd.ie/iiis/policycoherence/challenges/climate-change-agriculture.php.
- United Nations. (2011) The Common Agricultural Policy towards 2020: the role of the European Union in supporting the realization of the right to food. Special procedures of the human rights council. Comments and recommendations by the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the right to food. Retrieved from http://www.iatp.org/files/CAP%20Reform%20Right%20to%20Food.pdf.
- UNEP, FAO, UNFF. (2009) Vital forest graphics. UNEP ISBN 978-92-807-2903-0. UNEP job no: DEW/1032/NA. Retrieved from http://www.grida.no/publications/vg/forest/.
- 2011) Actions needed to halt deforestation and promote climatesmart agriculture. CCAFS Policy Brief no. 4. CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change. Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS), Copenhagen, Denmark. Available at: http://www.ccafs.cgiar.org. , , , , , (
- WWF. (2011) Soy and the Cerrado: Brazil's forgotten jewel. Retrieved from http://assets.wwf.org.uk/downloads/soy_and_the_cerrado.pdf.