Editor Wayne Linklater
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2012
©2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 159–166, June 2012
How to Cite
Caro, T. and Sherman, P. W. (2012), Vanishing behaviors. Conservation Letters, 5: 159–166. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2012.00224.x
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 3 FEB 2012 09:37AM EST
- Received 15 November 2011, Accepted 5 January 2012
- Animal behavior;
- behavioral disappearance;
- behavioral diversity;
- life history;
Unique patterns of animal behavior and life histories are not regarded as serious targets in making conservation and management decisions. Here we highlight the conceptual and practical conservation value of preserving such variations, review recent declines in behavioral diversity in wild populations, and encourage conservation biologists, animal behaviorists, and wildlife managers to document and protect behavioral diversity in the wild.