Editor Krister Par Andersson
Linking biodiversity conservation and poverty reduction: de-polarizing the conservation-poverty debate
Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2012
Copyright and Photocopying: ©2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 6, Issue 3, pages 162–171, June 2013
How to Cite
Roe, D., Mohammed, E. Y., Porras, I. and Giuliani, A. (2013), Linking biodiversity conservation and poverty reduction: de-polarizing the conservation-poverty debate. Conservation Letters, 6: 162–171. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2012.00292.x
- Issue online: 31 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 9 OCT 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 SEP 2012 09:02AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2012
- Ford Foundation
- Arcus Foundation
- Irish Aid
- 2004) Biodiversity conservation and the eradication of poverty. Science, 306, 1146–1149. , , , et al. (
- 2012) The macroeconomic management of foreign aid. United Nations University, World Institute for Development and Economic Research. Available from: http://www.wider.unu.edu/publications/newsletter/articles-2012/en_GB/01-2012-angle-recom/. Accessed April 2, 2012. , , , , & (
- 2011) On biodiversity conservation and poverty traps. PNAS, 108, 13907–13912. , & (
- 2011) Extremists dominate public science debates. The Spectacle Blog, 17 February 2011, American Spectator. Available from: http://spectator.org/blog/2011/02/17/extremists-dominate-public-sci/print. Accessed April 2, 2012. (
- 2006) Conservation, human rights and poverty reduction. Conserv. Biol., 20(1), 250–252. , & (
- 2004) A challenge to conservationists. World Watch, Nov/Dec 2004, 17–31. (
- 2007) Improving the effectiveness of interventions to balance conservation and development: a conceptual framework. Ecol. Soc., 12(1), 2. [Online] URL. Available from: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol12/iss1/art2/ , & (
- 2006) Preimplantation genetic diagnosis: public policy and public attitudes. Fertil. Steril., 85(6), 1638–1645. (
- 2007) Conserving what and for whom? Why conservation should help meet basic needs in the tropics. Biotropica, 39(5), 567–574. & (
- 2003) Striking a balance: ensuring conservation's place on the international biodiversity assistance agenda. Conservation International, Washington, DC. & (
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005) Ecosystems and human well-being: biodiversity synthesis. World Resources Institute, Washington, DC.
- 2011) The new conservation debate: the view from practical ethics. Biol. Conserv., 144, 948–957. , & (
- 2006) Conservation, development and poverty alleviation: time for a change in attitudes. In: D. Lavigne, editors. Gaining ground: in pursuit of ecological sustainability. International Fund for Animal Welfare, Guelph, Canada. (
- OECD (1996) Shaping the 21st century: the contribution of development co-operation. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, Paris, France.
- 2010) Biodiversity planning: an assessment of national biodiversity strategies and action plans United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies, Yokohama. , , & (
- 2006) Displacement and relocation from protected areas: towards a biological and historical synthesis. Conservat. Soc., 4(3), 359–378. & (
- 2002) Real world research: a resource for social scientists and practitioner-researchers. Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester. (
- 2008) The origins and evolution of the conservation-poverty debate: a review of key literature, events and policy processes. Oryx, 42(3), 491–503. (
- 2010) Whither biodiversity in development? The integration of biodiversity in international and national poverty reduction policy. Biodiversity, 11(1-2), 13–18. (
- 2012) Conservation and development in Latin America and Southern Africa: setting the stage. Ecol. Soc., 17(2), 17. [Online] URL. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5751/ES-04863-170217 , , , & (
- 2011) Integrating development with conservation. A means to a conservation end or a mean end to conservation? Biol. Conservat., 144, 973–978. (
- 2000) Linking livelihoods and conservation: a conceptual framework and scale for assessing the integration of human needs and biodiversity. World Dev., 28, 1421–1438. & (
- 2010) Linking Biodiversity Conservation and Poverty Alleviation: The Case of Great Apes, Poverty and Conservation Learning Group Discussion Paper no 3. International Institute for Environment and Development, London. & (
- 2003) Contested relationships between biodiversity conservation and poverty alleviation. Oryx, 37(4), 1–2. & (
- 2009) Exploring effectiveness of integrated conservation and development interventions in a Central African forest landscape. Biodiv. Conserv., 18, 2875–2892. , , , , , & (
- SCBD (2002) Decision VI/26: Strategic Plan for the Convention on Biological Diversity. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal.
- SCBD (2010a) Decision X/2: Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal.
- SCBD (2010b) Global Biodiversity Outlook 3. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal.
- 2010) Purity and prejudice: deluding ourselves about biodiversity conservation. Biotropica, 42(5), 566–568. & (
- 2003) Address by the Rt. Honourable Clare Short. Biodiversity after Johannesburg Conference, 3-4th March 2003, Zoological Society of London, Available at http://www.equatorinitiative.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=405%3Abajam&catid=93%3A2003-events&Itemid=792. Accessed October 17, 2011. (
- 2008) Conservation and development in tropical forest landscapes: a time to face the trade-offs? Environ. Conserv., 34(4), 276–279. , & (
- 2002) Mainstreaming Biodiversity in Development Policy and Planning: A Review of Country Experience. International Institute for Environment and Development, London. (
- 2004) Reflections of a scientist on the World Parks Congress. Conservat. Biol., 18, 619–620. (
- United Nations (1992) Convention on biological diversity. United Nations Environment Programme, Nairobi.
- United Nations (2000) Millennium declaration. United Nations, New York.
- United Nations (2001) Road map towards the implementation of the United Nations millennium declaration. United Nations, New York.
- United Nations (2008) Official list of MDG indicators. Available at http://mdgs.un.org/unsd/mdg/Host.aspx?Content=Indicators/OfficialList.htm. Accessed December 14, 2011
- 2003) Dealing with wicked problems in networks: analysing an environmental debate from a network perspective. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory., 13(2), 193–212. , & (
- WRI (2005) World Resources 2005—The Wealth of the Poor: Managing Ecosystems to Fight Poverty. UNEP, UNDP, World Bank and World Resources Institute, Washington D.C.