Editor Dr. Wayne Linklater
Assessing exposure to extreme climatic events for terrestrial mammals
Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2012
Copyright and Photocopying: ©2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 6, Issue 3, pages 145–153, June 2013
How to Cite
Ameca y Juárez, E. I., Mace, G. M., Cowlishaw, G., Cornforth, W. A. and Pettorelli, N. (2013), Assessing exposure to extreme climatic events for terrestrial mammals. Conservation Letters, 6: 145–153. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2012.00306.x
- Issue online: 31 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 21 NOV 2012 08:30AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 JUL 2012
- Mexican Council for Science and Technology
- World Wildlife Fund
- 2006) Vulnerability. Glob. Environ. Change., 16, 268–281. (
- 2012) Natural population die-offs: causes and consequences for terrestrial mammals. Trends Ecol. Evol., 27, 272–277. , , & (
- 2003) Predicting freshwater fish distributions using landscape-level variables. Fish Res., 60, 17–32. , , , & (
- 2008) Climate models: an assessment of strengths and limitations. A Report by the U.S. Climate Change Science Program and the Subcommittee on Global Change Research. Department of Energy, Office of Biological and Environmental Research, Washington, D.C., USA. , et al. (
- 2011) A rapid vulnerability assessment of coastal habitats and selected species to climate risks in Chanthaburi and Trat (Thailand), Koh Kong and Kampot (Cambodia), and Kien Giang, Ben Tre, Soc Trang and Can Gio (Vietnam). IUCN, Gland, Switzerland. , & (
- 2011) Climate induced changes in matrix suitability explain gene flow in a fragmented landscape – the effect of interannual rainfall variability. Ecography, 35, 650–660. , , & (
- 2005) Regional vegetation die-off in response to global-change-type drought. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 102, 15144–15148. , , , et al. (
- 1985) The effect of drought on kangaroo populations. J. Wildl. Manage., 49, 679–685. , , (
- 2008) The predictability of extinction: biological an external correlates of decline in mammals. Proc R Soc B, 275, 1441–1448. , , , , & (
- CCSP (2008) Weather and Climate Extremes in a Changing Climate. Regions of Focus: North America, Hawaii, Caribbean, and U.S. Pacific Islands. A Report by the U.S. Climate Change Science Program and the Subcommittee on Global Change Research. (eds. Karl, T.R., Meehl, G.A., Miller, C.D., Hassol, S.J., Waple, A.M., Murray, W.L.). Department of Commerce. USA.
- 2000) Drought occurrence probabilities and risks of dependent hydrologic processes. J Hydrol. Eng., 5, 259–268. & (
- 2011) Predicting how populations decline to extinction. Philos. Trans. Roy. Soc. B, 366, 2577–2586. , & (
- 1994) The decline of fruit bats in American Samoa due to hurricanes and overhunting. Biol. Conserv., 69, 216–266. , & (
- 2009) Multiple ecological pathways to extinction in mammals. PNAS, 106, 10702–10705. , , , & (
- 2011) Beyond predictions: biodiversity conservation in a changing climate. Science, 332, 53–58. , , , & (
- 2003) Population decline of tsessebe antelope (Damaliscus lunatus lunatus) on a mixed cattle and wildlife ranch in Zimbabwe. Biol. Conserv., 113, 111–124. , & (
- Environmental Systems Research Institute, ESRI (2008) Redlands, California, CA, USA.
- 2008) Species susceptibility to climate change impacts. Pages 77–87 in J.C. Vié, C. Hilton-Taylor, S.N. Stuart, editors. Review of the IUCN Red list of threatened species. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland. , & (
- 2011) Classification of climate-change-induced stresses on biological diversity. Conserv. Biol., 25, 708–715. (
- 2011) Extreme events: dynamics, statistics and prediction. NPG, 18, 295–350. , , , et al. (
- 2006) A koala (Phascolarctos cinereus Goldfuss) population crash during drought and heat wave conditions in south-western Queensland. Aust. J. Ecol, 13, 451–461. , & (
- 2008) Causes of observed changes in extremes and projections of future changes in weather and climate extremes in a changing climate. Regions of Focus: North America, Hawaii, Caribbean, and U.S. Pacific Islands. In T.R. Karl, G.A. Meehl, C.D. Miller, S.J. Hassol, A.M. Waple, W.L. Murray, editors.A Report by the U.S. Climate Change Science Program and the Subcommittee on Global Change Research. NOAA, Washington, DC. , , , et al. (
- 2009) Use of basic biological information for rapid prediction of the response of species to habitat loss. Conserv. Biol., 23, 64–71. & (
- ICSU (2008) A science plan for integrated research on disaster risk: addressing the challenge of natural and human induced environmental hazards. International Council for Science, Paris, France.
- IPCC (2001) IPCC Third Assessment Report. Synthesis Report. Cambridge Univ Press, Cambridge, UK.
- IPCC (2012) Managing the Risks of Extreme Events and Disasters to Advance Climate Change Adaptation. In C.B. Field, V. Barros, T.F. Stocker, D. Qin, D.J. Dokken, K.L. Ebi, M.D. Mastrandrea, K.J. Mach, G.K. Plattner, S.K. Allen, M. Ignor, P.M. Midgley, editors. A Special Report of Working Groups I and II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge Univ Press, Cambridge, UK, and New York, NY, USA.
- International Union for Conservation of Nature (2008) IUCN Red List of Threatened Species version 3.1 (IUCN/SSC Red List Programme, Gland, Switzerland). Available from: http://www.iucnredlist.org/. Accessed December 2011.
- 2011) Community responses to extreme climatic conditions. Current Zoology, 57, 406–413. , & (
- 2003) Stochastic population dynamics in ecology and conservation. OSEE, Oxford, UK. , & (
- 2010) Impact of duration thresholds on Atlantic tropical cyclone counts. J. Clim., 23, 2508–2519. , , & (
- 2012) Environmental synergisms and extinctions of tropical species. Conserv. Biol., 23, 1427–1437. & (
- 2002) A drought climatology for Europe. International Journal of Climatology. Int. J. Climatol, 22, 1571–1592. & (
- 2011) University College London. Global Drought Monitor. Available from: http://drought.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/ (visited December 2011). & (
- 2008) Visible and invisible effects of hurricanes on forest ecosystems: an international review. Austral. Ecol, 33, 368–398. (
- 2008) Quantification of extinction risk: IUCN's system for classifying threatened species. Conserv. Biol., 22, 1424–1442. , , , et al. (
- 2010) Guidance Note for Lead Authors of the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report on Consistent Treatment of Uncertainties. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), Geneva, Switzerland. Available from: http://www.ipcc.ch/ (visited June 2012). , , , et al. (
- 1993) The relationship of drought frequency and duration to time scales. In: Proceedings of the 8th Conference on Applied Climatology, 17–22 January, Anaheim, CA. American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA. , & (
- 2009) Long term control of peary caribou numbers by unpredictable exceptionally severe snow or ice conditions in a non-equilibrium grazing system. Arctic, 62, 175–189. & (
- 2009) Drought characterization: a probabilistic approach. Int. J. Earth Sci, 23, 41–55. , & (
- 2007) Persistence of large mammal faunas as indicators of global human impacts. J. Mamm., 88, 1363–1380. , , , & (
- 2008) Climate extremes promote fatal co-infections during canine distemper epidemics in African lions. PLoS One, 3, e2545, 1–6. , , , et al. (
- 2012) Case studies. In C.B. Field, V. Barros, T.F. Stocker, D. Qin, D.J. Dokken, K.L. Ebi, M.D. Mastrandrea, K.J. Mach, G.K. Plattner, S.K. Allen, M. Ignor, P.M. Midgley, editors. Managing the risks of extreme events and disasters to advance climate change adaptation. A Special Report of Working Groups I and II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, and New York, NY, USA. , et al. (
- 2001) Terrestrial ecoregions of the world: a new map of the life on Earth. Bioscience, 51, 933–938. , , , et al. (
- 2005) Global hotspots of species richness are not congruent with endemism of threat. Nature, 436, 1016–1019. , , , et al. (
- 2005) Factors affecting mortality and resistance to damage following hurricanes in a rehabilitated subtropical moist forest. Biotropica, 37, 16–24. , & (
- 2002) Challenges in drought research: some perspectives and future directions. Hydrolog. Sci. J, 47, S19–S30. & (
- 2000) Impacts of extreme weather and climate on terrestrial biota. B. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 81, 443–450. , & (
- 2003) Population reduction and social disorganization in Alouatta pigra following a hurricane. Int. J. Primatol., 24, 1037–1055. , , , , et al. (
- 2012) Global distribution and conservation of marine mammals. PNAS, 16, 13600–13605. , & (
- 2009) Small mammal populations in a eucalypt forest affected by fire and drought. I. Long-term patterns in an era of climate change. Wildlife Res., 36, 143–158. , & (
- 2012) Dispersal will limit ability of mammals to track climate change in the Western Hemisphere. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA., 109, 8606–8611. , & (
- 2006) Unusual mass mortality of feral horses during a violent rainstorm in parque provincial Tornquist Argentina. Mastozool. Neotrop., 13, 255–258. , & (
- 2012) Changes in climate extremes and their impacts on the natural physical environment. In C.B. Field, V. Barros, T.F. Stocker, D. Qin, D.J. Dokken, K.L. Ebi, M.D. Mastrandrea, K.J. Mach, G.J. Plattner, S.K. Allen, M. Ignor, P.M. Midgley, editors. Managing the Risks of Extreme Events and Disasters to Advance Climate Change Adaptation. A Special Report of Working Groups I and II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Cambridge Univ Press, Cambridge, UK, and New York, NY, USA. , et al. (
- 2001) Effects of density-dependence and climate on the dynamics of a Svalbard reindeer population. Ecography, 24, 441–451. , , , et al. (
- 2002) A major increase of brown lemurs on Mayotte since the decline reported in 1987. Oryx, 36, 297–300. & (
- 2003) Selected methods of drought evaluation in South Moravia and Northern Austria. In: XI. International poster day (“Transport of water, chemicals and energy in soil-crop-atmosphere system”), Bratislava, Institute of Hydrology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Slovakia. , , , et al. (
- United Nations Environment Programme Global Resource Information Database Geneva, UNEP (2005) Global Cyclone Frequency and Distribution. Available from: http://www.grid.unep.ch/data/gnv200.php/ (visited November 2011).
- United Nations Environment Programme, UNEP (2012) 21 Issues for the 21st Century: Result of the UNEP Foresight Process on Emerging Environmental Issues. United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Nairobi, Kenya, 56pp. Available from: http://www.globalfoodsec.net/static/text/Foresight_Report.pdf/ (visited March 2012).
- UNISDR (2011) Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction. Revealing Risk, Redefining Development. United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2008) The IUCN Red List: a key conservation tool. International Union for Conservation of Nature, Gland, Switzerland. , , , et al. (
- 2007) Sanctuary in the city: urban monkeys buffered against catastrophic die-off during ENSO-related drought. EcoHealth, 4, 278–286. , , , & (
- 2004) The effects of hurricane Lothar in habitat use of roe deer. For. Ecol. Manage., 195, 237–242. , , , , & (
- 2008) Towards an integrated framework for assessing the vulnerability of species to climate change. PLoS Biology, 6, 2621–2626. , , , & (
- 2010) Aerial census of wildlife and livestock in eastern Kajiado. Amboseli Conservation Programme. Technical report. The Amboseli Conservation Program – African Conservation Centre. Nairobi, Kenya. , & (