Acupuncture for Depression: Exploring Model Validity and the Related Issue of Credibility in the Context of Designing a Pragmatic Trial
Article first published online: 4 MAR 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 318–326, April 2012
How to Cite
Schroer, S., Kanaan, M., MacPherson, H. and Adamson, J. (2012), Acupuncture for Depression: Exploring Model Validity and the Related Issue of Credibility in the Context of Designing a Pragmatic Trial. CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics, 18: 318–326. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-5949.2011.00243.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 4 MAR 2011
- Received 30 July 2010; revision 5 January 2011; accepted 6 January 2011
- 5WHO. Mental health: New understanding, new hope. Geneva , Switzerland : World Health Organisation, 2001.
- 7Depression – A patients view of the future. In: Dawson A, Tylee A, editors. Depression: Social and economic timebomb: World Health Organisation. London: BMJ Books, 2001..
- 8Effectiveness gaps: A new concept for evaluating health service research needs applied to complementary and alternative medicine. J Altern Complem Med 2004;19:627–632., , , , .
- 9Understanding depression and its treatment: GP, patient and pharmacist perspectives. Final report of the concordance fellowship. Department of Medicines Management, Keele University , 2002., .
- 10A global view of depression. In: Dawson A, Tylee A, editors. Depression: Social and economic timebomb: World health Organisation. London: BMJ Books, 2001., .
- 11Prevalence, correlates, and course of minor depression and major depression in the national comorbidity survey – Discussion. J Affect Disorders 1997;45:28–29..
- 13The vital meridian: A modern exploration of acupuncture. Melbourne : Churchill Livingston, 1991..
- 14The origins and course of common mental disorders. London and New York : Routledge, 2005., .
- 16Evidence based medicine. How to practice and teach EBM, 2nd ed. Edinburgh : Churchill Livingston, 2000., , , , .
- 18Acupuncture, or non-directive counselling versus usual care for the treatment of depression: A pilot study (study protocol). Trials 2009. doi:10.1186/1745-6215-10-3., .
- 22Medical Research Council. A framework for development and evaluation of RCTs for complex interventions to improve health. London: MRC, 2000.
- 24Qualitative research and evaluation methods, 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2002..
- 25Qualitative research practice: A guide for social science students and researchers London. London: Sage , 2003., , editors.
- 26Reflexivity, a practical guide for researchers in health and social sciences. Oxford: Blackwell Science, 2003., , editors.
- 28Understanding controlled trials – What is a patient preference trial Brit Med J 1998; 316 :360., .
- 30BDI-II Beck Depression Inventory Second Edition Manual. San Antonio : The Psychological Corporation. Harcourt Bruce and Company, 1996., , .
- 33Combined quantitative and qualitative designs. In: Bowling A, Ebrahim S, editors. Handbook of health research methods. Berkshire, UK: Open University Press; 2005..
- 34What's wrong with ethnography? London: Routledge; 1992..
- 35Ethnography: Principles in practice. London : Routledge; 1995., .
- 36Quality in qualitative health research. In: Mays N, Pope C, editors. Qualitative research in health care, 3rd ed. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing, BMJ Books, 2006;82–102., .
- 41NICE. Depression: Treatment and management of depression in adults, including adults with a chronic severe health problem. London : NCCMH, 2009.