Romanization of Chinese terms into English has been a confusing task because of the different systems of pronunciation of the various Chinese dialects. The surname of the fourteen informants I interviewed is Quan in the Victoria and Vancouver City telephone directories. Those who have the same surname but came from Hong Kong are registered as Kwan in the same directories. Because of this confusion, I am using the more standardized Cantonese transliteration of Kwaan developed by Meyer-Wempe. I refrain from using the Wade-Giles Mandarin transliteration ofKuan in this paper because the Chinese in Canada are mostly from Kwangtung Province, and Cantonese is the lingua franca used in Victoria and Vancouver.
Social discontinuities in North American Chinese communities: the case of the Kwaan1in Vancouver and Victoria, 1880–1960
Article first published online: 14 JUL 2008
Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie
Volume 15, Issue 4, pages 443–451, November 1978
How to Cite
WOON, Y.-F. (1978), Social discontinuities in North American Chinese communities: the case of the Kwaan1in Vancouver and Victoria, 1880–1960. Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie, 15: 443–451. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-618X.1978.tb01000.x
- Issue published online: 14 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 14 JUL 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!