*My intellectual debt to Professor Rodney Needham, which is evident throughout the pages of this essay, is exceeded only by my personal debt to him for his patience and guidance as my supervisor while at Oxford. I also wish to thank Anthony Synnott, Erik Schwimmer, Michael Lambek, Jérôme Rousseau, Sheila van Wyck and Chris Trott for their criticisms of earlier versions of this paper. This manuscript was received in September 1986 and accepted in January 1987.
Olfaction and transition: an essay on the ritual uses of smell
Article first published online: 14 JUL 2008
Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie
Volume 24, Issue 3, pages 398–416, August 1987
How to Cite
HOWES, D. (1987), Olfaction and transition: an essay on the ritual uses of smell. Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie, 24: 398–416. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-618X.1987.tb01103.x
- Issue published online: 14 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 14 JUL 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!