*I am grateful for helpful critical readings of an earlier draft and suggestions to Zygmunt Bauman, David Bloor, Wolfgang Krohn, Volker Meja, Robert K. Merton, Trevor Pinch and a reviewer of this journal. All translations of previously untranslated quotations are mine. This manuscript was received in June, 1990 and accepted in July, 1991. constitutive of scientific forms of knowledge rather than merely the outcome of resistance to the spread and dominance of such knowledge in contemporary society.
The power of scientific knowledge - and its limits*
Article first published online: 14 JUL 2008
Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie
Volume 28, Issue 4, pages 460–482, November 1991
How to Cite
Stehr, N. (1991), The power of scientific knowledge - and its limits. Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie, 28: 460–482. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-618X.1991.tb00165.x
- Issue published online: 14 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 14 JUL 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!