*An earlier version of this paper was presented at the panel on Philosophical Foundations of Sociological Knowledge and Applied Sociology of the 31st Congress of the International Institute of Sociology, Paris, France, June 21–25, 1993. Special thanks to the students of Sociology 302 (Sociological Explanations) at the University of Victoria and to the students of Sociology 615 (Quantitative Research Methods) at the University of Alberta for their assistance and inspiration over the course of this research, and to Lori Kmech and Karli Burch for research assistance. Alan Hedley and Ray Morrow generously commented on an earlier draft, while Dieter Haselbach, Bill McCarthy, Peter Manicas, Charles Tolman, Rennie Warburton, and two anonymous reviewers offered helpful comments and suggestions. The research was supported in part by research grants from the University of Victoria. The manuscript of this article was submitted in August 1994 and accepted in June 1995.
Positivism in Sociological Practice: 1967–1990*
Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2008
Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie
Volume 33, Issue 2, pages 143–158, May 1996
How to Cite
Gartrell, C. D. and Gartrell, J. W. (1996), Positivism in Sociological Practice: 1967–1990. Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie, 33: 143–158. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-618X.1996.tb00192.x
- Issue online: 14 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!