*I am grateful to Diana Worts and Sherry Bartram for excellent research assistance; Sheila Martineau, Evangeline Davis, Elizabeth Walker, Rebecca Fulton, Ann Bernardo, Sharon Saunders, David Guetter and Jennifer Bates for careful transcribing; Stephanie Grahame for translation; Bill Carroll and three anonymous reviewers for insightful comments; and John Fox for his usual incisive criticism. My sincere gratitude goes to the 40 couples and one single mother who spent so much of their time telling me about their changing lives, and to Diana Worts and Christa Kelleher whose collaboration and insights have been invaluable to me and to this project. The research reported here was made possible by a grant from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (grant number 410–94–0453), and several General Research Grants from the University of Toronto. This manuscript was first submitted in June 2001 and accepted in October 2001
The Formative Years: How Parenthood Creates Gender*
Article first published online: 14 JUL 2008
Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie
Volume 38, Issue 4, pages 373–390, November 2001
How to Cite
Fox, B. (2001), The Formative Years: How Parenthood Creates Gender. Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie, 38: 373–390. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-618X.2001.tb00978.x
- Issue published online: 14 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 14 JUL 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!