*An earlier version of this paper was presented at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Sociology and Anthropology Association, Quebec City, June 2001. This project was supported by a grant from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. I am deeply indebted to many CAW Local 2213 members, as well as its executive, district chairpersons and support staff, to representatives of the CAW-Canada Airline Division, and to individuals from Air Canada headquarters and local management, who all gave generously of their time and support to this research. I also wish to thank Wallace Clement, Ann Duffy, Bruce McFarlane, Neil McLaughlin and Norene Pupo for their helpful comments on previous drafts of this paper. The constructive suggestions of William K. Carroll and three anonymous CRSA reviewers are kindly appreciated. This manuscript was first submitted in October 2001 and accepted in September 2002.
Part-time Shift: The Struggle over the Casualization of Airline Customer Sales and Service Agent Work*
Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2008
Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie
Volume 40, Issue 1, pages 93–109, February 2003
How to Cite
SHALLA, V. (2003), Part-time Shift: The Struggle over the Casualization of Airline Customer Sales and Service Agent Work. Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie, 40: 93–109. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-618X.2003.tb00237.x
- Issue online: 14 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!