Lori Wilkinson, Department of Sociology, University of Manitoba, 331 Isbister Building, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2. E-mail: Lori_Wilkinson@umanitoba.ca. Funding from the Prairie Centre of Excellence for Research on Immigration and Integration made this work possible. The Research Data Centre of Statistics Canada provided invaluable advice relating to the statistical analysis and access to the confidential data from the 1998 Survey on Labour and Income Dynamics. All errors and omissions are the responsibility of the author. Parts of the research and analysis are based on confidential microdata received from Statistics Canada and the opinions expressed do not represent the views of Statistics Canada.
Labor Market Transitions of Immigrant-Born, Refugee-Born, and Canadian-Born Youth
Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2008
© 2008 Canadian Sociological Association
Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie
Volume 45, Issue 2, pages 151–176, May 2008
How to Cite
WILKINSON, L. (2008), Labor Market Transitions of Immigrant-Born, Refugee-Born, and Canadian-Born Youth. Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie, 45: 151–176. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-618X.2008.00008.x
- Issue online: 14 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2008
- 1999. The Resettlement of Refugees in Alberta, 1992–1997. Edmonton: Prairie Centre of Excellence for Research on Immigration and Integration and the Population Research Laboratory, University of Alberta. , , , , and .
- 1991. “The Mental Health of Refugee Children: An Overview.” Pp. 3–19 in Refugee Children: Theory Research and Services, edited by F.Ahearn and J.Athey. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press. and .
- 1999. “The Experience of Refugee Children.” Pp. 215–36 in Refugees: Perspectives on the Experience of Forced Migration, edited by AlastairAger. London and New York: Pinter. , , and .
- 2003. Remaking the American Mainstream: Assimilation and Contemporary Immigration. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. and .
- 1997. “Youth Employment and Education Trends in the 1980s and 1990s.” Working Paper No. W-03, Canadian Policy Research Networks, Ottawa. and .
- 1993. “Life Trajectories, Action and Negotiating the Transition from High School.” Pp. 137–57 in Transitions: Schooling and Employment in Canada, edited by PaulAnisef and PaulAxelrod. Toronto: Thompson Educational Publishing.
- 1998. “Triumphant Transitions: Socioeconomic Achievements of the Second Generation in Canada. International Migration Review 32:853–76. and .
- 2000. “The Determinants of Academic Performance: Hong Kong Immigrant Students in Canadian Schools. Canadian Ethnic Studies 32:105–10.
- 2003. “Immigration and Multiculturalism: Lessons from Canada. Progressive Politics 2:22–9.
- 1999. “New Home, New School. Christian Science Monitor 91:14–20.
- 1999. “Some Factors that Affect the Success of ESL High School Students. Canadian Modern Language Review 55:531–47. , , , and .
- 1999. “Risk of High School Dropout among Immigrant and Native Hispanic Youth. International Migration Review 33:857–75.
- 1998. “Theoretical Perspectives in Race and Ethnic Relations.” Pp. 29–48 in Race and Ethnic Conflict: Contending Views on Prejudice, Discrimination and Ethnoviolence, edited by Fred L.Pincus and HowardEhrlich. San Francisco, CA: Westview Press. and .
- 2000. From Ellis Island to JFK: New York's Two Great Waves of Immigration. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- 1996. “Taking Flight? The Transition Experience of Native Youth.” Pp. 79–89 in Youth in Transition: Perspectives on Research and Policy, edited by BurtGalaway and JoeHudson. Toronto: Thompson Educational Publishing. , , and .
- 1992. “Second Generation Decline: Scenarios for the Economic and Ethnic Futures of the Post 1965 American Immigrants. Ethnic and Racial Studies 15:173–92.
- 1996. “Educational, Occupational and Family Aspirations of Women, A Longitudinal Study.” Pp. 107–17 in Youth in Transition: Perspectives on Research and Policy, edited by BurtGalaway and JoeHudson. Toronto: Thompson Educational Publishers. .
- 1996. “New Kid in Town: Social Capital and the Life Course Effects of Family Migration on Children. American Sociological Review 61:368–85. , , and .
- 1996. “Youth Transitions in Cross-Cultural Perspective: School to Work in Germany.” Pp. 2–13 in Youth in Transition: Perspectives on Research and Policy, edited by BurtGalaway and JoeHudson. Toronto: Thompson Educational Publishing.
- 1984. “Development of Self-Concept among Indochinese Refugee Students. International Review of Modern Sociology 14:23–34. and .
- 1998. “Refugee Children May Need a Lot of Psychiatric Help. British Medical Journal 316:793–5.
- 1993. “Unequal Returns: Gender Differences in Initial Employment among University Graduates. Canadian Journal of Higher Education 23:37–55. and .
- 1989. “Southeast Asian Refugees in American Schools: A Comparison of Fluent English-Proficient and Limited-English-Proficient Students. Topics in Language Disorders 9:54–75. and .
- 1996. Rights of Passage: Social Change and the Transition from Youth to Adulthood. London: UCL Press.
- 1999. Understanding Diversity: Ethnicity and Race in the Canadian Context. Toronto: Thomson Educational Press.
- 1993. “Getting There and Staying There: Blacks' Employment Experience.” Pp. 3–20 in Schooling and Employment in Canada, edited by PaulAnisef and PaulAxelrod. Toronto: Thompson Educational Publishing.
- 2004. “Upward Mobility among Second Generation Caribbean Living in Toronto.”CERIS Working Paper Series, Toronto. , , and .
- 2000. “Predictors of the Actual Degree of Acculturation of Russian-Speaking Immigrant Adolescents in Finland. International Journal of Intercultural Relations 24:503–18. and .
- 1996. Post War Canada. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
- . N.d. “Promoting Secondary School Transitions for Immigrant Adolescents.” Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Centre for Applied Linguistics.
- 1995. Ain't No Makin' It: Aspirations and Attainment in a Low-Income Neighborhood. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. .
- 1998. “Intergenerational Equity: Policy and Data Implications.” Pp. 171–5 in Labour Markets, Social Institutions and the Future of Canada's Children, edited by MilesCorak. Ottawa: Statistics Canada.
- 1996. “Second Generation Decline? Children of Immigrants, Past and Present-A Reconsideration. International Migration Review 31:893–922. and .
- 1996. “Ethnicity and Educational Aspirations of High School Students.” Pp. 127–34 in Youth in Transition: Perspectives on Research and Policy, edited by BurtGalaway and JoeHudson. Toronto: Thompson Educational Publishers. .
- 1996. “Native and Immigrant School-to-Work Transitions: Refocusing Policy Concerns.” Ph.D. dissertation, The RAND Graduate School, Santa Monica, CA. .
- 1996. “School Performance and Emotional Problems in Refugee Children. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 6:239–51. , and .
- 1992. “The Adaptation of Southeast Asian Refugee Youth: A Comparative Perspective.” Paper presented at the Refugee Studies Centre, March 5, 2004.
- 1998. Blaming Children: Youth, Media and Moral Panics. Halifax: Fernwood. .
- 2004. “Factors Affecting the Settlement and Adaptation Process of Canadian Adolescent Newcomers 16–19 Years of Age.” CERIS Working Paper Series, Toronto. .
- 2006. “Voices from the Margins: Visible Minority Immigrant and Refugee Youth Experience with Employment Exclusion in Toronto.” CERIS Working Paper Series, Toronto. , , and .
- Statistics Canada. 2002. Survey on Labour and Income Dynamics, Master Data File. Ottawa: Statistics Canada.
- Statistics Canada. 2003a. The 2001 Census of Canada. Ottawa: Statistics Canada.
- Statistics Canada. 2003b. Annual Labour Force Survey Statistics. Ottawa: Minister of Public Works and Government Services.
- 1984. “Intercultural and Developmental Stresses Confronting Southeast Asian Refugee Adolescents. Journal of Operational Psychiatry 15:39–45. and .
- 1994. “Socialization of the Child under Conditions of a Changed Everyday Life of the Family. Sociolgija 36:483–93.
- 1988. “Group Intervention with Adolescent Vietnamese Refugees. Journal for Specialists in Group Work 13:90–5. and .
- 2005. “Assessing Immigrant Assimilation: New Empirical and Theoretical Challenges. Annual Review of Sociology 31:105–25. and .
- 1994. “ESL Dropout: The Myth of Educational Equality. Alberta Journal of Educational Research 3:283–96. and .
- 2001. “The Integration of Refugee Youth in Canada.” Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Sociology, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada. .
- 2000. Straddling Two Social Worlds: The Experience of Vietnamese Refugee Children in the United States. New York: ERIC Clearinghouse. and .