Socioeconomic Status and Cumulative Disadvantage Processes across the Life Course: Implications for Health Outcomes
Article first published online: 21 FEB 2012
© 2012 Canadian Sociological Association/La Société canadienne de sociologie
Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie
Volume 49, Issue 1, pages 50–68, February 2012
How to Cite
Seabrook, J. A. and Avison, W. R. (2012), Socioeconomic Status and Cumulative Disadvantage Processes across the Life Course: Implications for Health Outcomes. Canadian Review of Sociology/Revue canadienne de sociologie, 49: 50–68. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-618X.2011.01280.x
- Issue published online: 21 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 21 FEB 2012
- 1999. “The Impact of Mental Illness on the Family.” Pp. 495–515 in Handbook of the Sociology of Mental Health, edited by C.S. Aneshensel and J.C. Phelan. New York: Plenum Press.
- 2010. “Incorporating Children's Lives into a Life Course Perspective on Stress and Mental Health.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 51:361–75.
- 2007. “Family Structure, Stress, and Psychological Distress: A Demonstration of the Impact of Differential Exposure.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 48:301–17. , and .
- 1988. “Stressful Life Events and Depressive Symptoms: Disaggregating the Effects of Acute Stressors and Chronic Strains.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 2:253–64. and .
- 2003. “The Developmental Origins of Adult Disease.” European Journal of Epidemiology 18:733–36.
- 2008. “Family Change and Implications for Family Solidarity and Social Cohesion.” Canadian Studies in Population 35:73–101. and .
- 2006. “How Society Shapes Aging: The Centrality of Variability.” Daedalus 135:105–14. and .
- 2009. “Socioeconomic Status and Utilization of Health Care Services in Canada and the United States: Findings from a Binational Health Survey.” Medical Care 47:1136–46. , , , and .
- 1986. “Forms of Capital.” Pp. 241–58 in Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education, edited by J.C. Richardson. New York: Greenwood Press.
- 2002. “Role of Genotype in the Cycle of Violence in Maltreated Children.” Science 297:851–54. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. “A Welfare Trap? The Duration and Dynamics of Social Assistance Use among Lone Mothers in Canada.” Canadian Review of Sociology 46:179–206.
- 1997. “Significant Life Experiences and Depression among Single and Married Mothers.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 59:294–308. , and .
- 2008. “Educational Differences in Health Risks and Illness over the Life Course: A Test of Cumulative Disadvantage Theory.” Social Science Research 37:1253–66.
- 1994. “Time, Human Agency, and Social Change: Perspectives on the Life Course.” Social Psychology Quarterly 57:4–15.
- 2008. “Growing Up Fast: Stress Exposure and Subjective ‘Weathering’ in Emerging Adulthood.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 49:162–77. , and .
- 2003. “Understanding the Association between Socioeconomic Status and Health: Do Negative Emotions Play a Role?” Psychological Bulletin 129:10–51. and .
- 2004. “Childhood Socioeconomic Circumstances and Cause-Specific Mortality in Adulthood: Systematic Review and Interpretation.” Epidemiologic Reviews 26:7–21. , and .
- 1993. “Sociological Perspectives on Life Transitions.” Annual Review of Sociology 19:353–73.
- 2003. “What Life-Course Perspectives Offer the Study of Aging and Health.” Pp. 161–88 in Invitation to the Life Course: Toward New Understandings of Later Life, edited by R.A. Settersten, Jr. Amityville. NY: Baywood Publishing Company.
- 2007. “Life Course Perspectives on Social Factors and Mental Illness.” Pp. 191–218 in Mental Health, Social Mirror, edited by W.R. Avison, J.D. McLeod and B.A. Pescosolido. New York: Springer.
- 2010. “Socioeconomic Status and Body Mass Index in Canada: Exploring Measures and Mechanisms.” Canadian Review of Sociology 47:381–403. and .
- 2008. “Trajectories of Functional Health: The ‘Long Arm’ of Childhood Health and Socioeconomic Factors.” Social Science and Medicine 66:849–61.
- 2005. “Media Portrayals and Health Inequalities: A Case Study of Characterizations of Gene x Environment Interactions.” Journals of Gerontology Series B-Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences 60:S48–52.
- 2001. “The Impact of Childhood Abuse and Neglect on Adult Mental Health: A Prospective Study.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 42:182–201. , , and .
- 2005. “Continuity and Change in the Social Stratification of Aging and Health over the Life Course: Evidence from a Nationally Representative Longitudinal Study from 1986 to 2001/2002 (Americans’ Changing Lives Survey). Journals of Gerontology Series B-Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences 60B:15–26. , and .
- 1994. “Differences in Self-Reported Morbidity by Marital Status and by Living Arrangement.” International Journal of Epidemiology 23:91–97. , , , and .
- 2009. Choices in Relationships: An Introduction to Marriage and the Family. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Publishing. and .
- 2010. “Social Conditions as Fundamental Causes of Health Inequalities.” Pp. 3–17 in Handbook of Medical Sociology, edited by C.E. Bird, P. Conrad, A.M. Fremont and S. Timmermans. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press. and .
- 1997. “Why Do Poor People Behave Poorly? Variation in Adult Health Behaviours and Psychosocial Characteristics by Stages of the Socioeconomic Lifecourse.” Social Science and Medicine 44:909–19. , and .
- 2002. “Place Effects on Health: How Can We Conceptualize, Operationalize, and Measure Them?” Social Science and Medicine 55:125–39. , and .
- 2004. “Violence in the Transition to Adulthood: The Socioeconomic Consequences of Adolescent Victimization.” Journal of Research on Adolescence 14:127–58. and .
- 1999. Reversing the Real Brain Drain: Early Study: Final Report. Toronto: Ontario Children's Secretariat. and .
- 2004. “Diverging Destinies: How Children Are Faring under the Second Demographic Transition.” Demography 41:607–27.
- 2008. “From Selection Effects to Reciprocal Processes: What Does Attention to the Life Course Offer?” Advances in Life Course Research 13:75–104. and .
- 1996. “Trajectories of Poverty and Children's Mental Health.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 37:207–20. and .
- 2004. “Academic Failure in Secondary School: The Inter-Related Role of Health Problems and Educational Context.” Social Problems 51:569–86. , and .
- 2002. “Cumulative Disadvantage Theory in Life Course Research.” Annual Review of Gerontology and Geriatrics 22:14–30.
- 2005. “Processes of Cumulative Adversity: Childhood Disadvantage and Increased Risk of Heart Attack across the Life Course.” Journals of Gerontology 60B:117–24. and .
- 1989. “The Sociological Study of Stress.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 30:241–56.
- 1981. “The Stress Process.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 22:337–56. , , and .
- 1996. “Stress and the Life Course: A Paradigmatic Alliance.” The Gerontologist 36:239–47. and .
- 2008. “Under the Influence of Genetics: How Transdisciplinarity Leads Us to Rethink Social Pathways to Illness.” American Journal of Sociology 114:S171–S201. , , and .
- 2000. Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- 2008. “Grasping at Straws: A Recent History of Health Promotion in Canada.” Critical Public Health 18:483–95.
- 2000. Health Promotion: An Anthology. Washington, DC: Pan American Health Organization.
- 1989. Women, Work, and Divorce. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- 1999. “Parental Divorce, Life-Course Disruption, and Adult Depression.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 61:1034–45. and .
- 1995. “The Links between Educational Attainment and Health.” American Sociological Review 60:719–45. and .
- 1996. “Education, Age, and the Cumulative Advantage in Health.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 37:104–20. and .
- 2000. “Relation Between Income Inequality and Mortality in Canada and in the United States: Cross Sectional Assessment Using Census Data and Vital Statistics.” British Medical Journal 320:898–902. , , , , and .
- 2010. “Genotype-Environment Interaction and Sociology: Contributions and Complexities.” Social Science and Medicine 70:1277–84. and .
- 2005. “Social Context in Gene-Environment Interactions: Retrospect and Prospect.” Journals of Gerontology Series B-Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences 60:65–76. and .
- 1997. “Lifetime Socioeconomic Position and Mortality: Prospective Observational Study.” British Medical Journal 314:547–52. , , , and .
- 1995. “Stress, Coping, and Social Support Processes: Where Are We? What Next?” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 35:53–79.
- 2006. “Personal Agency in the Stress Process.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 47:309–23.
- 2003. “Status Variations in Stress Exposure: Implications for the Interpretation of Research on Race, Socioeconomic Status, and Gender.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 44:488–505. and .
- 1995. “Lifetime Traumas and Mental Health: The Significance of Cumulative Adversity.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 36:360–76. and .
- 1995. “The Epidemiology of Social Stress.” American Sociological Review 60:104–25. , and .
- 2007. “Social Space, Social Class, and Bourdieu: Health Inequalities in British Columbia, Canada.” Health and Place 13:14–31.
- 2004. “Marital Transitions and Mental Health.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 45:155–70. and .
- 1990. “Life Transitions, Role Histories, and Mental Health.” American Sociological Review 55:209–23.
- 1994. “Sampling the Stress Universe.” Pp. 77–114 in Stress and Mental Health: Contemporary Issues and Prospects for the Future, edited by W.R. Avison and I.H. Gothib. New York: Plenum.
- 2003. “Linking Early Social Risks to Impaired Physical Health during the Transition to Adulthood.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 44:61–74. , , and .
- 2002. “Trends in Mortality by Neighbourhood Income in Urban Canada from 1971 to 1996.” Health Reports (Statistics Canada) 13:1–28. , and .
- 2010. “‘Fundamental Causes’ of Health Disparities: A Comparative Analysis of Canada and the United States.” International Sociology 24:93–113.