We are grateful to Zhonghe Li for assistance with the PacifiCare data. We also thank Cheryl Damberg, Steve Levitt, Dayanand Manoli, Tom McGuire, and Eric Sun, seminar participants at Harvard University, the Public Policy Institute of California, RAND, and Yale University, and participants of the June 2006 Robert Wood Johnson Scholars in Health Policy Research Annual Meeting (Aspen, Colorado) for helpful comments and advice. We are particularly grateful to Philip Haile and two anonymous referees for extremely helpful suggestions. Financial support from the Commonwealth Fund, the Harvard Interfaculty Initiative for Health Systems Improvement, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation is gratefully acknowledged.
Can you get what you pay for? Pay-for-performance and the quality of healthcare providers
Article first published online: 20 JAN 2010
© 2010, RAND
The RAND Journal of Economics
Volume 41, Issue 1, pages 64–91, Spring 2010
How to Cite
Mullen, K. J., Frank, R. G. and Rosenthal, M. B. (2010), Can you get what you pay for? Pay-for-performance and the quality of healthcare providers. The RAND Journal of Economics, 41: 64–91. doi: 10.1111/j.1756-2171.2009.00090.x
- Issue published online: 20 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 20 JAN 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!