Can paying for results help to achieve the Millennium Development Goals? Overview of the effectiveness of results-based financing
Version of Record online: 28 MAY 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd and Chinese Cochrane Center, West China Hospital of Sichuan University
Journal of Evidence-Based Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 70–83, May 2009
How to Cite
Oxman, A. D. and Fretheim, A. (2009), Can paying for results help to achieve the Millennium Development Goals? Overview of the effectiveness of results-based financing. Journal of Evidence-Based Medicine, 2: 70–83. doi: 10.1111/j.1756-5391.2009.01020.x
- Issue online: 28 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 MAY 2009
- Received 15 February 2009; accepted for publication 24 February 2009.
- 3Sustainable Development Network. A review of the use of output-based aid approaches. International Development Association , 2006. http://siteresources.worldbank.org/IDA/Resources/Seminar%20PDFs/73449-1164920192653/IDANETOBA.pdf (accessed 3 May 2008).
- 4The Global Partnership on Output-Based Aid. http://www.gpoba.org/index.asp (accessed 3 May 2008).
- 11Committee on Redesigning Health Insurance Performance Measures, Payment, and Performance Improvement Programs. Rewarding Provider Performance: Aligning Incentives in Medicare. Washington , DC : National Academies Press, 2007.
- 13Can “Pay for Performance” Increase Utilization by the Poor and Improve the Quality of Health Services? Discussion paper for the first meeting of the Working Group on Performance-Based Incentives. Washington , DC : Center for Global Development, 2006; 5..
- 17Target payments in primary care: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 1999, Issue 4., , , , , , , .
- 22Strategies to support quality-based purchasing: a review of the evidence. Technical Review Number 10. AHRQ Publication No. 04-0057, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality , 2004. http://www.ahrq.gov/downloads/pub/evidence/pdf/qbpurch/qbpurch.pdf (accessed 3 May 2008)., , , , , , .
- 24Effectiveness of financial incentives in exchange for rural and underserviced area return-of-service commitments: systematic review of the literature. Canadian Journal of Rural Medicine 2004; 9: 82–8..
- 25The impact of contracting out on access to health services in low and middle income countries. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, In press., .
- 26Evidence from systematic reviews to inform decision making regarding financing mechanisms that improve access to health services for poor people. A policy brief prepared for the International Dialogue on Evidence-Informed Action to Achieve Health Goals in Developing Countries (IDEAHealth) Geneva: Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research, 2006. http://www.who.int/rpc/meetings/ideahealth/en/index6.html (accessed 21 Jan 2008)., .
- 27Financial Incentives, Healthcare Providers and Quality Improvements. A Review of the Evidence. London : The Health Foundation, 2007. http://www.health.org.uk/document.rm?id=485 (accessed 2 May 2008)., , .