Can paying for results help to achieve the Millennium Development Goals? A critical review of selected evaluations of results-based financing
Article first published online: 31 AUG 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd and Chinese Cochrane Center, West China Hospital of Sichuan University
Journal of Evidence-Based Medicine
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 184–195, August 2009
How to Cite
Oxman, A. D. and Fretheim, A. (2009), Can paying for results help to achieve the Millennium Development Goals? A critical review of selected evaluations of results-based financing. Journal of Evidence-Based Medicine, 2: 184–195. doi: 10.1111/j.1756-5391.2009.01024.x
- Issue published online: 31 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 31 AUG 2009
- Received 15 February 2009; accepted for publication 24 February 2009.
- 3The Global Campaign for the Health Millennium Development Goals. Oslo : Prime Ministers Office, 2007; 2–14. http://www.regjeringen.no/en/dep/smk/Selected-topics/The-Millenium-Development-Goals/Global-Campaign-to-Reduce-Maternal-and-C/The-Global-Campaign-for-the-Health-Mille.html?id=481776.
- 4Can “Pay for Performance” Increase Utilization by the Poor and Improve the Quality of Health Services? Discussion paper for the first meeting of the Working Group on Performance-Based Incentives. Washington , DC : Center for Global Development, 2006: 5..
- 5Can paying for results help to achieve the MDGs? 1. An overview of the effectiveness of results-based financing. Journal of Evidence-Based Medicine 2009; 2: 70–83., .
- 6World Bank. Health Results Innovation Grant Proposal to the Government of Norway. Washington , DC : World Bank, October 24, 2007.
- 8The impact of contracting out on access to health services in low and middle income countries. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. In press., .
- 9CORT, Vadodara. Report on assessment of ASHA/JSY scheme (Rajasthan). Commissioned by Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. Draft, June 2007.
- 10Performance-based incentives for health: six years of results from supply. side programs in Haiti. CGD Working Paper #121. Washington , DC : Center for Global Development, 2007., , , .
- 11Evaluation of the first five years of GAVI immunization services support funding. Prepared for the GAVI Alliance. Behtesda , MD : Abt Associates Inc, 2007., , , , .
- 12Performance-based incentives for health: A way to improve tuberculosis detection and treatment completion? CGD Working Paper #122. Washington , DC : Center for Global Development, 2007., , .
- 15NorthStar – how to design and evaluate healthcare quality improvement interventions. The ReBEQI Collaboration 2005: http://www.rebeqi.org/northstar.
- 17Conditional community cash transfers. Poverty Action Lab. http://www.povertyactionlab.com/projects/project.php?pid=49 (accessed 3 May 2008)., , .
- 19When will we ever learn? Improving lives through impact evaluation. Report of the Evaluation Gap Working Group. Washington , DC : Center for Global Development, 2006. http://www.cgdev.org/content/publications/detail/7973/, , .