Bioenergy production and Skylark (Alauda arvensis) population abundance – a modelling approach for the analysis of land-use change impacts and conservation options
Version of Record online: 2 APR 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 4, Issue 6, pages 713–727, November 2012
How to Cite
Engel, J., Huth, A. and Frank, K. (2012), Bioenergy production and Skylark (Alauda arvensis) population abundance – a modelling approach for the analysis of land-use change impacts and conservation options. GCB Bioenergy, 4: 713–727. doi: 10.1111/j.1757-1707.2012.01170.x
- Issue online: 4 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 2 APR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Received: 11 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 11 NOV 2011
- Helmholtz Research Programme ‘Terrestrial Environments: Strategies of Response to Global and Climate Change’
- Federal Agency for Nature Conservation. Grant Number: 3507 82 150
- 1990) Assessing pesticide effects on non-target invertebrates using long-term monitoring and time-series modelling. Functional Ecology, 4, 369–373. (
- 2003) Farmland biodiversity: is habitat heterogeneity the key? TRENDS in Ecology and Evolution, 18, 182–188. , , (
- 1986) Conservation tillage: ecological traps for nesting birds? Wildlife Society Bulletin, 14, 308–317. (
- BioRegions (2010) Project web site, supported by the EC (Intelligent Energy Europe programme). Available at: http://www.bioregions.eu (accessed August 2011).
- 2007) The Swiss agri-environment scheme promotes farmland birds: but only moderately. Journal of Ornithology, 148, 295–303. , , , , , (
- BMELV (2011) Federal Minister Aigner Advocates Adjustment of Biogas Support. Press release no. 045, 17.02.2011, Federal Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection. Available at: http://www.bmelv.de/SharedDocs/Pressemitteilungen/EN/2011/045-AI-EEG-Kongress.html (accessed August 2011).
- BMU (2009) Renewable Energy Sources in Figures - National And International Development. German Federal Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, Berlin.
- 2004) Evidence for the indirect effects of pesticides on farmland birds. Ibis, 146, 131–143. , , et al. (
- 2010) Agricultural land use and Skylark Alauda arvensis: a case study linking a habitat association model to spatially explicit change scenarios. Ibis, 152, 63–76. , , et al. (
- 2009) Towards Sustainable Production and Use of Resources: Assessing Biofuels. Report of the United Nations Environment Programme. ISBN: 978-92-807-3052-4. , , , , , (
- British Trust for Ornithology (2011a) Developing Bird Indicators. Available at: http://www.bto.org/science/monitoring/developing-bird-indicators (accessed May 2011).
- British Trust for Ornithology (2011b) Skylark Alauda arvensis [Linnaeus, 1758]. Available at: http://blx1.bto.org/birdfacts/results/bob9760.htm (accessed May 2011).
- 2000) Densities and population estimates of breeding Skylarks Alauda arvensis in Britain in 1997. Bird Study, 47, 52–65. , , (
- 2007) Farmland biodiversity and the footprint of agriculture. Science, 315, 381–384. , , (
- 2010) Resource availability and the persistence of seed-eating bird populations in agricultural landscapes: a mechanistic modelling approach. Journal of Applied Ecology, 47, 67–75. , , et al. (
- 1999) Population declines and reproductive performance in skylarks Alauda arvensis in different regions and habitats of the United Kingdom. Ibis, 141, 38–51. , (
- 1999) Effects of habitat type and management on the abundance of skylarks in the breeding season. Journal of Applied Ecology, 36, 856–870. , , , (
- 2000a) Changes in the abundance of farmland birds in relation to the timing of agricultural intensification in England and Wales. Journal of Applied Ecology, 37, 771–788. , , , , (
- 2000b) Spatial and temporal distribution of breeding skylarks Alauda arvensis in relation to crop type in periods of population increase and decrease. Ardea, 88, 61–73. , , (
- 2011) Farmers' fears and agro-economic evaluation of sown grass strips in France. Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 31, 463–473. , , (
- 2010) The impact of biomass crop cultivation on temperate biodiversity. Global Change Biology Bioenergy, 2, 289–309. , , (
- 2010) Assessing the impact of entry level Stewardship on lowland farmland birds in England. Ibis, 152, 459–474. , , , , , (
- 1965) A population study of skylarks Alauda arvensis. Ibis, 107, 466–492. (
- 2011) Measuring the short-term success of grassland restoration: the use of habitat affinity indices in ecological restoration. Restoration Ecology, 19, 520–528. , , , , , , (
- 2001) Factors affecting the territory distribution of Skylarks Alauda arvensis breeding on lowland farmland. Bird Study, 48, 271–278. , , , , (
- 2010) Variation in arthropod abundance in barley under varying sowing regimes. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 135, 127–131. , , (
- 2008) Biologische Bestandserhebungen und Auswirkungen zunehmender Biomassenutzung (EEG) auf die Artenvielfalt - Erarbeitung von Handlungsempfehlungen für den Schutz der Vögel der Agrarlandschaft. Endbericht zum BMU-Forschungsvorhaben, Seedorf. , (
- EEA (2007) Estimating the environmentally compatible bioenergy potential from agriculture, pp. 14. Technical report No 12/2007, ISSN 1725–2237. European Environment Agency, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 2009) Is biofuel policy harming biodiversity in Europe? Global Change Biology Bioenergy, 1, 18–34. , , et al. (
- 2011) Autumn-sowing of cereals reduces breeding bird numbers in a heterogeneous agricultural landscape. Biological Conservation, 144, 1137–1144. , , (
- EISA (2007) Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. Public Law, Pub. L. 110-140. Enacted by the 110th United States Congress. Summary of major provisions. Available at: http://assets.opencrs.com/rpts/RL34294_20071221.pdf; Public law, http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ140.110.pdf (accessed August 2011).
- 2010) Sustainable Production of Second-Generation Biofuels. Information paper. International Energy Agency, Paris, France. (
- 2006) Novel methods improve prediction of species' distributions from occurrence data. Ecography, 29, 129–151. , , et al. (
- 2002) Density and productivity of breeding Skylarks Alauda arvensis in relation to crop type on agricultural lands in western France: small field size and the maintenance of set-aside and lucerne are important to ensure high breeding pair densities and productivity. Bird Study, 49, 287–296. , (
- European Commission (2008) Proposal for a DIRECTIVE OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources. COM (2008) 19 final. Brussels: Commission of the European Communities; 23.01.2008.
- 2009) Europe in Figures. Eurostat Yearbook, Eurostat, Luxembourg. (
- 2010) The ecological impact of biofuels. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics, 41, 351–377. , , (
- 2008) Assessing the ecological impacts of bioenergy projects. Bioenergy Research, 1, 12–19. (
- 2009) Suitability of patches and in-field strips for Sky Larks Alauda arvensis in a small-parcelled mixed farming area. Bird Study, 56, 34–42. , , (
- 2011) Mixed effects of landscape structure and farming practice on bird diversity. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 141, 119–125. , , , , , , (
- 2011) Biodiversity conservation in the era of biofuels: risks and opportunities. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 9, 161–168. , , , , , (
- FSA (2005) Harvesting Alfalfa Hay. FSA2005-PD-3-06RV. University of Arkansas, Division of Agriculture, Little Rock, AR, USA.
- Google (2010a) South Germany. Available at: http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=N%C3%B6rdlingen&sll=48.798044,9.002953&sspn=0.158532,0.308647&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=N%C3%B6rdlingen,+Donau-Ries,+Bayern&ll=48.841334,10.589104&spn=0.039599,0.077162&t=k&z=14 (accessed May 2011).
- Google (2010b) NE Germany. Available at: http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=Magdeburg&sll=51.151786,10.415039&sspn=19.364433,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Magdeburg,+Sachsen-Anhalt&ll=52.010352,11.064091&spn=0.037034,0.077162&t=k&z=14 (accessed May 2011).
- 1980) Mating systems, philopatry and dispersal in birds and mammals. Animal Behaviour, 28, 1140–1162. (
- 2004) The state of play of farmland birds: population trends and conservation status of lowland farmland birds in the United Kingdom. Ibis, 146, 1–13. , , (
- 2005) Developing indicators for European birds. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, 360, 269–288. , , , , , , (
- 2008) Biofuels and biodiversity: principles for creating better policies for biofuel production. Conservation Biology, 22, 602–609. , , (
- 1997) Influence of within-plantation heterogeneity and surrounding landscape composition on avian communities in hybrid poplar plantations. Conservation Biology, 11, 936–944. , , (
- 2009) A novel, integrated approach to assessing social, economic and environmental implications of changing rural land-use: a case study of perennial biomass crops. Journal of Applied Ecology, 46, 315–322. , , et al. (
- 2000) Summer bird abundance and distribution on set-aside fields on intensive arable farms in England. Ecography, 23, 50–59. , , (
- 2009) Effects of crop diversification and low pesticide inputs on bird populations on arable land. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 129, 149–156. , , , (
- 2007) Research project of the Federal Ministry for Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection. Leibniz-Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research, Muencheberg, Germany. (
- 2006) A review of invertebrates and seed-bearing plants as food for farmland birds in Europe. Annals of Applied Biology, 148, 49–71. , , , (
- 1990) Territorialität und Brutbiologie der Feldlerche (Alauda arvensis) in einer intensiv genutzten Agrarlandschaft. Journal für Ornithologie, 3, 241–265. (
- 2010) Effects of agricultural intensification on plant diversity in Mediterranean dryland cereal fields. Journal of Applied Ecology, 47, 832–840. , , , , (
- 1999) The second silent spring? Nature, 400, 611–612. , , , (
- 2008) Increasing corn for biofuel production reduces biocontrol services in agricultural landscapes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 51, 20552–20557. , , , (
- 2010) Monitoring agricultural cropping patterns across the Laurentian Great Lakes Basin using MODIS-NDVI data. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 12, 81–88. , , , (
- 2008) Large-scale biomass for energy, with considerations and cautions: an editorial comment. Climatic Change, 87, 335–342. , (
- 2002) Field margins in northern Europe: their functions and interactions with agriculture. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 89, 5–21. , (
- 2009) Optimizing the biodiversity gain from agri-environment schemes. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 130, 177–182. , , , , , , (
- 2000) The effects of structure and its dynamics on the ecology and conservation of arthropods in British grasslands. Biological Conservation, 95, 129–142. (
- 2004) The recent declines of farmland bird populations in Britain: an appraisal of causal factors and conservation actions. Ibis, 146, 579–600. (
- 1997) Skylark (Alauda arvensis) utilisation of micro-habitats in spring barley fields. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 62, 21–29. , , , , (
- 2000) Editors' introduction: birds and agriculture. Journal of Applied Ecology, 37, 699–705. , (
- 1983) Die Feldlerche. 3. Auflage, A. Ziemsen Verlag, Wittenberg, Lutherstadt. (
- 1992) Crow predation in recently cut set-aside land. British Birds, 85, 674–675. , (
- 1998) Comparative nesting and feeding ecology of Skylarks Alauda arvensis on arable farmland in southern England with special reference to set-aside. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 131–147. , , (
- 2009) Energy production from grassland – Assessing the sustainability of different process chains under German conditions. Biomass and Bioenergy, 33, 689–700. , , , (
- 2009) Identifying potential environmental impacts of large-scale deployment of dedicated bioenergy crops in the UK. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13, 271–290. , , (
- 2006) Birds in willow short-rotation coppice compared to other arable crops in central England and a review of bird census data from energy crops in the UK. Ibis, 148, 184–197. , , (
- 2002) Assessing the suitability of central European landscapes for the reintroduction of Eurasian lynx. Journal of Applied Ecology, 2, 189–203. , , et al. (
- 2011) Pesticides meet megadiversity in the expansion of biofuel crops. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 9, 215–221. , (
- 2002) Ecological and evolutionary traps. TRENDS in Ecology & Evolution, 17, 474–480. , , (
- 2011) Long-lived sustainable microhabitat structures in arable ecosystems, and Skylarks (Alauda arvensis). Journal for Nature Conservation, 19, 143–147. (
- 2010) Assessing German farmers' attitudes regarding nature conservation set-aside in regions dominated by arable farming. Journal for Nature Conservation, 18, 327–337. , , , (
- 2006) Energy crops: current status and future prospects. Global Change Biology, 12, 2054–2076. , , , , (
- 2008) From 1st- to 2nd-Generation Biofuel Technologies. An Overview of Current Industry and RD&D Activities. OECD/IEA, International Energy Agency, Paris, France. , , , (
- 1998) Land use changes and the decline of farmland wildlife: an appraisal of the set-aside approach. Biological Conservation, 83, 259–268. (
- 2007) Managing arable weeds for biodiversity. Pest Management Science, 63, 517–523. , (
- SWRA (2009) South West Bioenergy Plan 2009-2020. South West Regional Authority, Ireland. Available at: http://www.swra.ie/contentFiles/pdfs/bioenergyplan.pdf (accessed August 2011).
- 2001) Territory density of the Skylark (Alauda arvensis) in relation to field vegetation in central Germany. Journal of Ornithology, 142, 184–194. , (
- 2004) Modeling the influence of temporal and spacial factors on the assessment of impacts of pesticides on Skylarks. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 2, 509–520. , (
- USDA (2010) Field Crops - Usual Planting and Harvesting Dates. United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Handbook Number 628, Washington, DC.
- USDA FAS (2008) EU-25 Biofuels Annual 2008. GAIN Report Number: E48063. USDA Foreign Agricultural Service. Available at: http://www.fas.usda.gov/gainfiles/200806/146294845.pdf (accessed August 2011).
- 2010) Improvements in the Finnish agri-environment scheme are needed in order to support rich farmland avifauna. Annales Zoologici Fennici, 47, 287–305. , , , , (
- 2001) The management of lowland neutral grasslands in Britain: effects of agricultural practices on birds and their food resources. Journal of Applied Ecology, 38, 647–664. , , , , , , (
- 2009) Arable field margins managed for biodiversity conservation: a review of food resource provision for farmland birds. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 133, 1–13. , , (
- 2006) Habitat suitability index models for the juvenile soles, Solea solea and Solea senegalensis, in the Tagus estuary: defining variables for species management. Fisheries Research, 1-3, 140–149. , , , (
- 2006) A GIS-based habitat suitability model for commercial yield estimation of Tapes philippinarum in a Mediterranean coastal lagoon (Sacca di Goro, Italy). Ecological Modelling, 1–2, 90–104. , , , (
- 2010) Resource use efficiency and environmental performance of nine major biofuel crops, processed by first-generation conversion techniques. Biomass and Bioenergy, 34, 588–601. , , , (
- 1998) Breeding Skylarks Alauda arvensis on environmentally sensitive area arable reversion grass in southern England: survey-based and experimental determination of density. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 635–648. , , , (
- 1997) Territory distribution and breeding success of Skylarks Alauda arvensis on organic and intensive farmland in southern England. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 1462–1478. , , , (
- 1999) A review of the abundance and diversity of invertebrate and plant foods of granivorous birds in northern Europe in relation to agricultural change. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 75, 13–30. , , , , (
- 2005) The management of crop structure: a general approach to reversing the impacts of agricultural intensification on birds? Ibis, 147, 453–463. , , (
- 2010) An integrative modeling framework to evaluate the productivity and sustainability of biofuel crop production systems. Global Change Biology Bioenergy, 2, 258–277. , , et al. (