Seeking Coherence in Complexity? The Governance of Energy by Trade and Investment Institutions
Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2011
© 2011 London School of Economics and Political Science and John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Special Issue: Global Energy Governance
Volume 2, Issue Supplement s1, pages 106–119, September 2011
How to Cite
Ghosh, A. (2011), Seeking Coherence in Complexity? The Governance of Energy by Trade and Investment Institutions. Global Policy, 2: 106–119. doi: 10.1111/j.1758-5899.2011.00125.x
- Issue online: 7 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2011
- 2009) ‘The Governance Triangle: Regulatory Standards Institutions and the Shadow of the State’, In W. Mattli and N. Woods (eds), The Politics of Global Regulation. Princeton, NJ and Oxford: Princeton University Press, pp. 44–88. and (
- 2009) ‘The Politics of International Regime Complexity’, Perspectives on Politics, 7 (1), pp. 13–24. DOI: 10.1017/S1537592709090033. and (
- 2011) ‘A Rare-Earths Showdown Looms’, Wall Street Journal, ???–???. 20 May. (
- 1989) ‘Oil Imports and National Security: The Legal and Policy Framework for Ensuring United States Access to Strategic Resources’, University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Business Law, 11 (2), pp. 235–300. (
- 2009) ‘The Fragmentation of Global Governance Architectures: A Framework for Analysis’, Global Environmental Politics, 9 (4), pp. 14–40. , , and (
- 2001) ‘International Trade Regime and Energy Trade’, Syracuse Journal of International Law and Commerce, 28 (1), pp. 1–18. (
- 2010a) ‘Union Accuses China of Illegal Clean Energy Subsidies,’ New York Times, 10 September, p. B1. (
- 2010b) ‘On Clean Energy, China Skirts Rules’, New York Times, 9 September, p. A1. (
- 2008) ‘Environmental Aspects in Free Trade Agreements in the Asia-Pacific Region’, Asia Europe Journal, 6 (2), pp. 229–243. (
- 2010) ‘US to Investigate China’s Clean Energy Aid’, New York Times, 16 October, p. B1. and (
- 2003) ‘Trade and Climate: Potential Conflicts and Synergies’, Beyond Kyoto: Advancing the International Effort against Climate Change. Arlington, VA: Pew Center on Global Climate Change, pp. 141–167. (
- 2011) ‘The Punctuated Equilibrium in the Energy Regime Complex’, The Review of International Organizations, Online First. DOI: 10.1007/s11558-011-9130-9. , and (
- 2009) ‘Overlapping Institutions in Trade Policy’, Perspectives on Politics, 7 (1), pp. 25–31. (
- 2003) ‘The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, the World Trade Organization, and Regional Trade Agreements’, Journal of World Trade, 37 (3), pp. 523–551. (
- 2006) ‘Russia and the Energy Charter Treaty: Common Interests or Irreconcilable Differences’, International Energy Law & Taxation Review, 7, p. 189. (
- Energy Charter Secretariat (2003) Applicable Trade Provisions of the Energy Charter Treaty (May). Brussels: Energy Charter Secretariat.
- 1993) ‘Energy in the NAFTA: Free Trade Confronts Mexico’s Constitution’, Tulsa Journal of Comparative and International Law, 1, pp. 2–7. (
- European Commission (2008) ‘EU Commission Proposal for the Directive of the European Parliament & of the Council Amending Directive 2003/87/EC so as to Improve and Extend the EU Greenhouse Gas Emissions Allowance Trading System of the Community’, COD 2008/0013, 23 January.
- 2009) ‘Who Governs Energy? The Challenges Facing Global Energy Governance’, Energy Policy, 37 (12), pp. 5239–5248. and (
- 2008) ‘Global Environmental Policy and Global Trade Policy’, Harvard Project on International Climate Agreements Discussion Paper, 08-14 (October). (
- 2009) ‘Enforcing Climate Rules with Trade Measures: Five Recommendations for Trade Policy Monitoring’, in R. B. Stewart, B. Kingsbury and B. Rudyk (eds), Climate Finance: Regulatory and Funding Strategies for Climate Change and Global Development. New York and London: New York University Press, pp. 272–280. (
- 2010) ‘Developing Countries in the WTO Trade Policy Review Mechanism’, World Trade Review, 9 (3), pp. 419–455. (
- 2011) ‘Strengthening WTO Surveillance: Making Transparency Work for Developing Countries’, In C. Deere Birkbeck (ed.), Making Global Trade Governance Work for Development: Perspectives and Priorities from Developing Countries. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 394–441. (
- 2009) ‘Avoiding Dangerous Climate Change: Why Financing for Technology Transfer Matters’, Global Economic Governance Working Paper, 2009/53, University of Oxford. and (
- 2009) ‘Back to the Future or Forward to the Past? Strengthening Markets and Rules for Effective Global Energy Governance’, International Affairs, 85 (2), pp. 373–390. DOI: 0.1111/j.1468-2346.2009.00798.x. and (
- 2004) ‘Regime Shifting: The TRIPS Agreement and New Dynamics of International Intellectual Property Lawmaking’, Yale Journal of International Law, 29 (1), pp. 1–83. (
- 2008) Leveling the Carbon Playing Field: International Competition and US Climate Policy Design. Washington, DC: Peterson Institute for International Economics; World Resources Institute. , , , and (
- 2010) ‘Seismic Shock as Demand Shifts East’, Financial Times, 29 March, pp. 1, 6. (
- 2005) NAFTA Revisited: Achievements and Challenges. Washington, DC: Institute for International Economics. and (
- ICTSD (2008) ‘Climate Change and Trade on the Road to Copenhagen’, Policy Discussion Paper, December.
- ICTSD (2009) ‘Obama Administration Not Ready to Support Carbon Border Tax: Kirk’, Bridges Weekly Trade News Digest, 13.
- IEA (2008) World Energy Outlook, November.
- IEA (2009) World Energy Outlook, November.
- 2008) ‘Environmental Priorities and Trade Policy for Environmental Goods: A Reality Check’, ICTSD Issue Paper, 7 (September). (
- 2011) ‘The Regime Complex for Climate Change’, Perspectives on Politics, 9 (1), pp. 7–23. and (
- 2009) ‘Letter to the Honourable Joe Barton, Ranking Member’, Committee on Energy and Commerce, US House of Representatives, 14 April. (
- 2007) ‘Doha Could Deliver Double-Win for Environment and Trade’, Informal Trade Ministers’ Dialogue on Climate Change held in Bali, 9 December. (
- 2010) Global Energy Governance in a Multipolar World. Farnham: Ashgate. , and (
- 1992) ‘OPEC and the Price of Oil’, The Energy Journal, 13 (2), pp. 1–17. (
- 1994) ‘Trade in Energy and Natural Resources: The Role of the GATT and Developing Countries’, Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law, 12 (1), pp. 95–116. (
- 1995) ‘NAFTA Countries’ Energy and Environmental Interdependence: Deviations Arising from Trading-Bloc Exclusions’, Applied Energy, 52 (1), pp. 1–33. and (
- 2009) ‘Climate Change and International Investment Agreements: Obstacles or Opportunities?’, IISD ‘Bali to Copenhagen’ Trade and Climate Change Project Discussion Draft, August, pp. i-67. and (
- 1991) ‘The Canada–US Free Trade Agreement and Canada’s Energy Trade’, Canadian Public Policy, 17 (1), pp. 1–13. (
- 2008) ‘The Economic and Environmental Effects of Border Tax Adjustments for Climate Policy’, Working Papers in International Economics, 1.09, Lowy Institute for International Policy, Sydney. and (
- 2009) ‘ASEAN Energy Cooperation: An Increasingly Daunting Challenge’, Note de l’Ifri, Gouvernance Européenne et Géopolitique de l’énergie/Centre Asie, September [online] pp. 1–36. Available from: http://www.ifri.org/files/Energie/FNicolas.pdf [Accessed 8 July 2010]. (
- Pew Center on Global Climate Change (2009) ‘Response of the Pew Center on Global Climate Change to Climate Change Legislation Design White Paper: Competitiveness Concerns/Engaging Developing Countries’, Committee on Energy and Commerce and Its Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality, US House of Representatives [online]. Available from: http://www.pewclimate.org/docUploads/Pew%20Center%20on%20Competitiveness-Developing%20Countries-FINAL.pdf [Accessed 29 April 2010].
- 1999) ‘Exploring Certain Trade-Related Aspects of Energy under GATT/WTO: Demarcation Questions Regarding Electricity’, International Trade Law and Regulation, 5 (1), pp. 26–27. (
- 200304) ‘Police Patrols & Fire Alarms in the NAAEC’, Loyola of Los Angeles International and Comparative Law Review, 26 (3), pp. 389–413. (
- 2004) ‘The Regime Complex for Plant Genetic Resources’, International Organization, 58 (2), pp. 277–309. and (
- 2009) ‘Trade, Competitiveness and Carbon Leakage: Challenges and Opportunities’, Energy, Environment and Development Programme Paper, 09/01, Chatham House, London. (
- REN21 (2009) Renewables Global Status Report: 2009 Update. Paris: REN21 Secretariat.
- 2007) ‘The WTO and Energy: WTO Rules and Agreements of Relevance to the Energy Sector’, ICTSD Trade and Sustainable Energy Series Issue Paper, 1 (August). (
- 2008) ‘Energy Security, GATT/WTO and Regional Agreements’. Society of International Economic Law Inaugural Conference Working Paper, 10/08, Geneva, 15–17 July. (
- 2001) ‘Pan-European Energy Cooperation: Opportunities, Limitations and Security of Supply to the EU’, Journal of Common Market Studies, 39 (1), pp. 165–177. and (
- 2007) ‘The Effect of NAFTA on Energy and Environmental Efficiency in Mexico’, The Policy Studies Journal, 35 (2), pp. 291–322. (
- 1990) ‘Toward the Integration of Canadian and United States Natural Gas Import Policies’, Land and Water Law Review, 25, pp. 335–374. (
- UNCTAD (2000) ‘Trade Agreements, Petroleum and Energy Policies’, UNCTAD/ITCD/TSB/9, pp. 14–20.
- UNDP (2007) Human Development Report 2007/2008: Fighting Climate Change: Human Solidarity in a Divided World. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2010) ‘Addressing Competitiveness and Leakage Concerns in Climate Policy: An Analysis of Border Adjustment Measures in the US and the EU’, Energy Policy, 38 (1), 42–51. and (
- 2010) ‘The New Energy Order: Managing Insecurities in the Twenty-First Century’, Foreign Affairs (January/February), pp. 61–73. and (
- Wälde, T. W. (ed.) (1996) The Energy Charter Treaty: An East–West Gateway for Investment and Trade. London, The Hague and Boston: Kluwer Law International.
- 2002) ‘International Energy Trade and Access to Energy Networks’, Journal of World Trade, 36 (2), pp. 191–218. and (
- World Bank (2007) International Trade and Climate Change: Economic, Legal, and Institutional Perspectives. Washington, DC: World Bank.
- World Energy Council (2009) Trade and Investment Rules for Energy. London: World Energy Council.
- WTO (2010) World Trade Report 2010: Trade in Natural Resources. Geneva: WTO.
- 2009) ‘It’s Still the One’, Foreign Policy (September–October). (
- 2003) ‘International Trade in Energy Services and Developing Countries’, In UNCTAD, Energy and Environmental Services: Negotiating Objectives and Development Priorities. New York and Geneva: UNCTAD, pp. 42–43. (
- 2008) ‘Multilateral Trade Measures in a Post-2012 Climate Change Regime? What can be Taken from the Montreal Protocol and the WTO?’ East-West Center, Hawaii. (