John Mbiti is an African theologian from Kenya. He has worked in churches and at universities in Africa, America and Europe, and has made many published contributions in theology, biblical studies, religion and literature.
The Role of the Jewish Bible in African Independent Churches1
Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2009
2004 World Council of Churches
International Review of Mission
Volume 93, Issue 369, pages 219–237, April 2004
How to Cite
Mbiti, J. S. (2004), The Role of the Jewish Bible in African Independent Churches. International Review of Mission, 93: 219–237. doi: 10.1111/j.1758-6631.2004.tb00455.x
I first presented this article as a paper at the Old Testament Seminar, University of South Africa (UNISA), Pretoria, in September 2002. I am grateful for the discussion and comments that ensued. Various terms are used: “Jewish Bible”, “Hebrew Bible”, “Old Testament”, as well as “African Independent Churches”, “African Indigenous Churches” and “African Initiated Churches”. I will stick to two of these (unless when quoting): Jewish Bible and African Independent Churches (AICs). References to “the Bible” mean the combined ‘Old and New Testaments' as Christians have them as a single book.
- Issue online: 25 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2009
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!