Part One – Retrospective: Celebrating and Assessing the Past
The Missiological Significance of Latin American Protestantism
Article first published online: 29 NOV 2011
Copyright © (2011) World Council of Churches
International Review of Mission
Special Issue: A Century of Ecumenical Missiology
Volume 100, Issue 2, pages 232–243, November 2011
How to Cite
Escobar, J. S. (2011), The Missiological Significance of Latin American Protestantism. International Review of Mission, 100: 232–243. doi: 10.1111/j.1758-6631.2011.00071.x
- Issue published online: 29 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 29 NOV 2011
- 1This was noted particularly by the Catholic historian, El Protestantismo en América Latina. vol. 1; FERES, Bogotá-Friburgo (1962), p. 23.,
- 2IRM (1929), p. 261.
- 3IRM (1929) p. 262.
- 4I have written about this subject in chapter 3 of my book Changing Tides: Latin America and World Mission Today, Orbis, Maryknoll (2002), pp. 23–34.
- 5Mexico: A Long Stretch from Edinburgh,” Ecumenical Review, XIV (Oct. 1963–July 1964), p. 267., “
- 7South American Problems, Student Volunteer Movement for Foreign Missions, New York (1913), p.145.,
- 8South American Problems, Student Volunteer Movement for Foreign Missions, New York (1913), p.145,
- 9The Other Spanish Christ, Macmillan, New York (1932); Wipf and Stock, Eugene (2001).,
- 10That Other America, Friendship Press, New York (1935), pp. 69–73; 107–116. For a brief appraisal of Mackay's work see , “The Missionary Legacy of John A. Mackay,” International Bulletin of Missionary Research, 16/3 (July 1992), pp. 116–122. A biography of Mackay was published recently, , The Hand and the Road: The Life and Times of John A. Mackay, Westminster-John Knox Press, Louisville (2010).,
- 11The Power of Evangelism” in Addresses and Other Records. Report of the Jerusalem Meeting of the International Missionary Council, Vol.8 (Oxford University Press, London (1928), p.121., “
- 12Mexico …”, p. 268., “
- 13Mexico …” p. 267., “
- 14Mexico …” p. 268., “
- 15Latin America,” in The Prospects of Christianity throughout the World, M. Searle Bates and Wilhelm Pauck (eds.), Scribner's, New York (1964), p. 168., “
- 16From 1910 to 2010. A Post Edinburgh 2010 Reflection”, IRM, 99/2 (Nov. 2010), pp.260–261., “
- 17Cooperation and the Promotion of Unity, an Evangelical Perspective” in David A. Kerr and Kenneth R. Ross , Edinburgh 2010. Mission Then and Now, Regnum, Oxford (2009), p. 254., “
- 18Cooperation and the Promotion of Unity, an Evangelical Perspective” in David A. Kerr and Kenneth R. Ross , Edinburgh 2010. Mission Then and Now, Regnum, Oxford (2009) p. 255., “
- 19La embestida evangélica,” in Noticias Aliadas, Lima: Vol. 26: 24 (June 29, 1989), p. 2., “
- 20See “Popular Protestantism and Catholic Missiology” chapter 8 in my book Changing Tides.
- 21Pentecostal Breakthrough,” America, January 31, 1970., “
- 22My book Changing Tides is an effort to interpret popular Protestantism from a missiological perspective.
- 23For a history, analysis and interpretation of this movement see “Like a Mighty Army” R. Kenneth Strachan and the Global March of Evangelism-in-Depth, Latin America Mission, Miami, 1998.and ,
- 24“Like a Mighty Army” R. Kenneth Strachan and the Global March of Evangelism-in-Depth, Latin America Mission, Miami, 1998 p. 194.and ,
- 25“Like a Mighty Army” R. Kenneth Strachan and the Global March of Evangelism-in-Depth, Latin America Mission, Miami, 1998 p. 197.and ,
- 26Call to Witness – But What Kind of Witness?” IRM (Apr. 1964), pp. 201–202., “
- 27Call to Witness – But What Kind of Witness?” IRM (Apr. 1964) p. 203., “
- 28Call to Witness – But What Kind of Witness?” IRM (Apr. 1964) p. 204., “
- 29Call to Witness – But What Kind of Witness?” IRM (Apr. 1964) p. 206., “
- 30Call to Witness – But What Kind of Witness?” IRM (Apr. 1964) p. 205., “
- 31A Further Comment”, IRM (Apr. 1964), p. 209., “
- 32A Further Comment”, IRM (Apr. 1964) p. 215., “
- 33A Further Comment”, IRM (Apr. 1964) pp. 148–149., “
- 34Evangelism and the world” in J.D. Douglas (ed.), Let the Earth Hear His Voice, World Wide Publications, Minneapolis (1975), pp. 116–146. The text may also be found with other papers that Padilla contributed to the Lausanne movement in his book Mission Between the Times, Langham Monographs, Carlisle, UK (2010)., “
- 35Evangelism and Man's Search for Freedom, Justice and Fulfillment”, in J.D. Douglas , pp. 303–326., “
- 36In-Depth Type Evangelization Programs” in J.D. Douglas , pp. 675–694. Some aspects of the ensuing dialogue of those decades is evident in , Christ Outside the Gate. Mission Beyond Christendom, Orbis Books, Maryknoll (1982)., “
- 37C. René Padilla (ed.), The New Face of Evangelicalism. An International Symposium on the Lausanne Covenant, Inter Varsity Press, Downers Grove (1976), British edition by Hodder and Stoughton.
- 38Milestones in Ecumenical Missionary Theology from the 1970s to the 1990s,” IRM (1999); p. 293., “
- 39The Synod Points Out Needs” America (January 3, 1998), p. 3., “
- 40The Church in America. Ecclesia in America Post Synodal Apostolic Exhortation, United States Catholic Conference, Washington, DC (1999), par. 73, pp. 125–128.,
- 41Ecclesia in America, par. 73.
- 42La Iglesia después de Aparecida. Cifras y proyecciones, Diocesis of Chosica, Lima, Peru (2008), pp. 165–177.and Bishop ,
- 43Documento Final Aparecida, sections 5.4 and 5.5.
- 44Reinventing American Protestantism, University of California, Berkeley (1997).
- 45Confraternidad Evangélica Latinoamericana, Evangelical Alliance of Latin America.
- 46Consejo Latinoamericano de Iglesias, Latin American Council of Churches.
- 47Statistics from www.comibam.org
- 48An analysis of a case study in Latino immigration in Europe: Challenge and Opportunity for Mission,” International Bulletin of Missionary Research, 28:2 (April 2004), pp. 53–58. From 1995 to 2004, the percentage of Catholics in Latin America declined from 80% to 71% of the population, while evangelicals grew from 5% to 14% (p. 58)., “
- 49La presencia latinoamericana en Edimburgo 2010 se acerca a la veintena de delegados.” ALC Noticias, June 3, 2010., “